Could the Broadway Strike effect us?

CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#1
Posted: 11/12/07 at 5:31am
Is it possible that the strike on Broadway could have a knock on effect to us, on Broadway, if the strike lasts longer than two weeks, possibly even a month, shows will have to put there ticket prices up, alot, to regain money, could it be possible that if the show is also open over here with the same main producers, then in stead of just upping Broadway ticket prices alot, they just partially increase Broadway prices along with the ticket price over here and any other production of that show and put the money into Broadway? Does that make sense and is it possible?
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#2
Posted: 11/12/07 at 5:36am
I doubt it very much.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#2
Posted: 11/12/07 at 7:18am
Has the Westend been on a strike? I don't recall any in the past 4 yrs... correct me if I'm wrong
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#3
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:01am
No. West End theatre strikes are very few and far between and a have never had the effect that the current Broadway one is having. In my 30 years in the theatre ive never know industrial action like this in the UK.
Today Monday Nov 12th is the first time in history that EVERY Broadway theatre has not been open to thr public. Even the box offices are closed in NY today.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#4
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:40am
Im sure they has been a strike here in the UK but it was many moons ago.

I love how Broadway stagehands, TV and Film writers are ALL on strike.

There is no entertainment been made in america at the mo lol.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#5
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:49am
Yes, as i said but not with the effects of the current NY one!! i didnt say there hadnt been any becaue ive been working a few times when strikes have hit London in the past!
Updated On: 11/12/07 at 09:49 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#6
Posted: 11/12/07 at 3:34pm
Yes, but we don't have anything resembling the kind of union power there is in New York.

Most shows are double or treble rigged to avoid having to do an electrician's call to change lamps, because it is actually cheaper to have spare lanterns in the rig!

To some extent, I can understand ehy it is time to adjust some of the more antiquated practices. That's not to say people should earn less, but maybe there should be a more logical process to the way the money is earned.

(I fear I may have ventured too far into the political arena there...)
Updated On: 11/12/07 at 03:34 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#7
Posted: 11/12/07 at 3:42pm
watch your back.........here it comes!
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#8
Posted: 11/13/07 at 2:19pm
I read that the off-Broadway shows were still playing... it may be a good think for their turnover (is that the correct expression???) !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#9
Posted: 11/13/07 at 2:23pm
Some of them are benifiting yes, but in general they are still doing busines as normal. Unforunatly people get bloody minded and wont try some thing new. When ever im in NY (about 4 or 5 times a year) i always try to see a show off-Broadway and the quality there is stunning and ive seen some truly brilliant theatre off-Broadway.
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#10
Posted: 11/13/07 at 2:34pm
That is what I did in January in London when seeing "Little Shop..." at the Menier Theatre (if you can call it off-West End !)
And boy, I will do it again !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#11
Posted: 11/13/07 at 2:45pm
It does seems that the entertainment industry is on strike at the moment with the writer's strike in LA and the Stagehand strike in NY. however I agree with Wicked, Off-Broadway shows are just as good if not better than a Broadway show (ans usually cheaper). My boss who is American and originally from NY recommended Naked Boys Singing which I may or may not see when I go in NY in January. People should try out the plays from the non profit theatres like Roundabout, LCT and MTC.

Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#12
Posted: 11/13/07 at 2:49pm
Anyway, it is and endless debate... It's like mainstream/commercial movies and art cinema !
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#13
Posted: 11/13/07 at 2:58pm
The list is endless o f fantastic productions ive seen off Broadway over the past 20 years and some of the theatres are state of the art. Some are not! lol
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#14
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:03pm
yes, an endless debate. Why on earth should people not see what they want again and again - even in the same production, two performances are rarely the same and the theatre is for whatever we want to get out of it.

However it IS great to see new things and I love seeing shows that are different to what I might usually see and I have seen some brilliant "arty" productions and some crap ones - as with mainstream stuff. At the end of the day, though, new things have got to appeal. It is no point going to see new things just for the sake of it - it is not free after all. It is also daft just going to something purely for the sake of it being off-broadway or less commercial etc. Certainly if we are paying for the privilige!! The people behind those productions need to really make them sound attractive to us and advertise like hell.

Where does the line get drawn regarding what some feel others ought to see? Fine: see shows on broadway, off broadway and further afield, but why stop there? Is it not a natural expectation for some of the snootier folk to then feel people should to be less bloody minded and should then see other types of theatre ie) ballet, opera?!

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#15
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:33pm
OK guys lets leave the boreing old strike to the Yanks- just pop over to the Broadway board and youve got enough ranting and raving and screaming and hollering to last a life time over there.
BUT lets take the subject of Off-West End (Fringe) and Off Broadway to a new thread!
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#16
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:05pm
lol
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#17
Posted: 11/14/07 at 8:35am
By the way wicked, the strike is actually having a HUGE impact on the off broadway shows, they aren't doing business as usual some of them have gone through the roof yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#18
Posted: 11/20/07 at 1:01am
As a yank who lives just outside NYC let me say this. It irks me to no end when tourists refuse to see an off broadway show because they are convinced that off broadway means bad quality bad show ect. That couldn't be farthur from the truth. I find that the shows that are off broadway are sometimes better then the current ones playing on broadway. And if you look you will realize that Greay Grdens, Avenue Q and spring awakening came from off broadway.

When the tourests come to nyc they would rather sit through phantokm for the millionth time rather then try somethhing new. I think that a lot of people have trouble with anythin that is new. I wish that were not the case.

But, with regards to the strike off broadway is doing great because of it. All of the off broadway stage hans have a different contract then hat is gong on on broadway so they are still playing.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#19
Posted: 11/20/07 at 11:58am
Winston you dont appear to like tourists very much from what ive read and your past few threads you have posted on lol

Many Many tourists go to watch Off Broadway shows, if they didnt it wouldn't be there
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#20
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:56am
I understand what tourists do to help out my city ect. But, on a personal level I find them annoying.

And the fact of the matter is that more tourists go to see a broadway show as oppose to an off broadway show. This of course means that broadway is up and running which it isn't now. But, you get the idea of what it is I am trying to say.

Most open ended comerical off broadway shows don't do so well. It is hard to get an audeince foran off broadway show. And very few comerical runs of an off broadway show have succeeded.

There was an article in the theatre section of the new york times talking aqbout how many comerical off broadway theatres are closingg because they can't find an audience and sell tickets.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#21
Posted: 11/21/07 at 3:01pm
Well word of advice Winston

when people from here are in the states (NY) watching a show WE ARE TOURISTS.So to call us annoying on the west end board is probably not the best move lol.

And aren't you about 16??? why would tourists annoy u (sweeping generalization by the way)
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#22
Posted: 11/21/07 at 6:36pm
I dont understand why you hate tourists? cuz you think you're more superior than them cuz you know more about shows?? Tourists are what kept Broadway & the West End alive! If you REALLY wanna just count on theatregoers/theatre lovers/fanatics, it'll probably run for 6 months in the Donmar! And in a sense, if you don't live in London and visit London once/twice every year to watch shows, that's counted as tourists as well! So did you have any personal experience or are you just pure naive?
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#23
Posted: 11/21/07 at 6:38pm
Ouch but true!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Could the Broadway Strike effect us?#24
Posted: 11/21/07 at 7:22pm
Well said ruthiefan xxxxxxxxxx