Page: 1

53rd Evening Standard Drama Awards BEST MUSICAL IS...

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Ned Sherrin award for BEST MUSICAL goes to.....
Parade
Hairspray
Fiddler On The Roof

We wont know for another 3 weeks but what do you think....

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 11/7/07 at 03:11 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It'll be Parade.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Parade all the way
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Id like it to be 'Hairspray' but 'Parade' will march away with it.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It will be parade which is good but i would prefer Hairspray, especially after them reviews
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Of course the more interesting awards are the Olivier Awards with the nominations for Best Actor and Best Actress In A Musical.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If it is for popular fare then HAIRSPRAY, or if they are looking for a snob hit, PARADE.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats so close to the truth. Parade will win and then as it closes even before it wins will be forgotten abourt rather fast. If Hairspray were to win it would be great to see it contuinue its forcast very long run on the back of an award it won while it was still on stage! I do get annoyed at some winning shows. When they get announced people go 'what show, where was that' etc. Some closed almsot a year before winning, pointless really, and it happens all the time. Give the award to a show thats here and now clear in the theatre going publics mind and bringing in those all important ponds , dollars and yen! Sorry late night rant, thats because i didnt get my nightly theatre fix tonite!! lol
Updated On: 11/7/07 at 06:00 PM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was like that at the 2007 Olivier Awards when Sunday in the Park with George won the the Best Musical award even though it had closed long after it was announced it had won them. All the big musicals like Spamalot and Wicked went away with nothing.

Parade will no doubt get it but I prefer Hairspray.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Um, surely the point of the award is to acknowledge the best production of the year rather than the one that looks like it might have the longest run? I liked Hairpsray, but I can still feel the emotional impact of Parade a week on...

It could be argued that Spamalot and Wicked went away with nothing because they weren't judged to be as good as Sunday in the Park with George. If quality and long runs went hand in hand, that makes Cats the best musical ever! re: 53rd Evening Standard Drama Awards BEST MUSICAL IS...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 11/8/07 at 08:04 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Awards ceremonies are a business in Film and TV, its all about increasing the box office or future dvd releases.

Theatre has always avoided that trap, sunday in the park with george wom because it was the best production that year, it makes no odds if the shows closed or not, its getting recognition for been the best in its field.

Though

Maybe some could argue the theatre awards have become just as much as a business thing as the film and TV awards because with Sunday In The Park winning it looks better for it's eventual Broadway transfer which was been spoke about at the same time
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Didn't Evening Standard go for Caroline or Change last year? That makes Parade the favourite.

Personally, I'd prefer Hairspray. But I did prefer Sunday in the Park over Spamalot and Wicked.

There have been so many odd choices over the years though- didn't Forbidden Planet win over Miss Saigon?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes and i will never understand the Forbidden planet thing as it was awful (in my opinion) and just another juke box show.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree - bit of weird choice. Though I have to admit that I prefer Honk! over the Lion King...

Awards are only ever going to be subjective, according to the likes and dislikes of a small group of voters, which is why it's better just to forget about them and just enjoy whatever show on it's own merits according to your tastes re: 53rd Evening Standard Drama Awards BEST MUSICAL IS...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

heatherr
Understudy
Understudy
Parade, hopefully. In my opinion, it completely deserves it, and every other award out there. It's such an incredible production, and by far the best musical on the West End... therefore it should win.
Updated On: 11/11/07 at 03:08 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Perhaps Rent will get a 'special' award?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Perhaps Rent will get a 'special' award?"

Best erm hooker boots for mis van outen??