Questions about Into the Woods.

musicalfan07 Profile Photomusicalfan07 Profile Photo
musicalfan07
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Questions about Into the Woods.#1
Posted: 11/3/07 at 5:54pm
Hi. i was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions:
I've heard that the OLP of Into the Woods set had something to do with a clock. Could anyone explain this to me?

Are there any pictures of the Donmar production and is there a cast list anywhere?
thanks.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Questions about Into the Woods.#2
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:09pm
In the gorgeously brilliant production at the Phoenix, starring Julia MacKenzie as the witch, the set was designed by Richard Hudson. A huge cyc wall was covered with a gothic wallpaper print in the style of Bettelheim, I think. There were 6 doors which opened automatically to allow rapid entrances and exits which enhanced the farce-feel. (The set shape was not a million miles away from Hudson's 'A Clockwork Orange, which had a bright red cyc wall).

USC was a huge cuckoo clock. In the second half, after the giant's attack, the wallpaper was scorched and peeling and the clock hung at a precarious angle. When the witch disappeared, all the doors fell off their hinges!

Sondheim is on record as having wished the show had been recorded on video. It was truly stunning.

The Donmar show was nowhere near as lavish. Upstage, there was a wall of forest, above which certain items prtruded, such as Rapunzel's tower. The production singularly lacked magic, for me and was not a patch on Richard Jones' original London production.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Questions about Into the Woods.#2
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:20pm
That production was simply one of the most beautiful shows staged in the West End ive ive seen. JUlie Mckenzie and Imelda Staunton were perfect. Great Cast album available.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 11/5/07 at 07:20 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Questions about Into the Woods.#3
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:30pm
Great minds...

I saw this show at least 4 times. I had met Patsy Rowlands a few times prior to ITW and she was a wonderful Jack's Mother- just the right mix of frazzled brain and gutsiness. She has sadly passed away since.

Ian Bartholomew also managed to make the Baker dignified and heartfelt, without ever being dull.

Nicholas Parsons couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

musicalfan07
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Questions about Into the Woods.#4
Posted: 11/5/07 at 1:05pm
thanks for your responces.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Questions about Into the Woods.#5
Posted: 11/5/07 at 1:18pm
Your welcome, shame you didnt see it on stage!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
musicalfan07
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Questions about Into the Woods.#6
Posted: 11/5/07 at 1:41pm
Unfortunantly, I wasn't alive when it opened. The London Logo is my fav version of the shows artwork.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Questions about Into the Woods.#7
Posted: 11/5/07 at 1:47pm
Gee thanks for that!!!! lol