'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#1
Posted: 10/19/07 at 8:52am
Guys, last night i saw a preview of Young Frankenstein in New York. Over here on business with no time to see a show and then plans changed and arrived 2hr earlier YES earlier thanks to BA! With so little time to spare we left our bags with the reception desk at the hotel and arrived at the Hilton at 7.58pm. It was worth the sweat and pain of getting thru NY at that time of night. Its one absolutly amazing f... off of a show! I cant believe i saw half of what i did last night. The cast are perfect even if you feel you just dont see enough of each of them. The sets and special effects will blow you away. My jaw fell into my Platybill when we first saw the laboratory-mindblwing effects that must have used half its budget. Rodger Bart did a great job putting a different twist on the character. The rest are almost carbon copies from one of my favourite movies. The theatre was buzzing with anticiaption for all the classic scenes and lines. Theres abviously a lot more stuff in the show besides these. My and my colleagues only gripe was that the sets in general were pretty sparse- a lot of painted backdrops and small trucks moving on and off then big set pieces then another backdrop. The projection set pieces are awe inspiring!
There is no way this will never play London. Its perfect home would be the Palladium as its got a lot of playing to the audience and the Palladium of course is perfect for that. Its such a shame it sitting that dreadful barn -The Hilton Theatre.
Now im busy trying to make excues to see a performance of Xanadu!!!!
'Hairspray' at the Shaftesbury again tomorrow- all this and work too!!!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 10/19/07 at 08:52 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 9:14am
Glad you enjoyed YF, it is one of my priority after the Little Mermaid to see when I go to NY in 2008, I think it will go down better here than the Producers did. Think it would be perfect at either The Domnion, Lyceum or Palladium.

BTW, are you going to see The Little Mermaid when it splashes on Broadway?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 9:28am
I saw it in Denver back in previews but i wasnt that taken by it, very palstic and very tourist park attraction. I was left cold by it and thats proberbly why ive said very little about it on here.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#3
Posted: 10/19/07 at 9:33am
I do have some hope with The Little Mermaid being a Disney fan but I ahve a feeling the critics will maul it but it will still become a big hit on Broadway and hopefully transfer to London. I have heard in the past that the Lyceum is earmarked for TLM if or when it transfer.

Back to YF, what is the Hilton like? I've heard so many bad things about it.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#4
Posted: 10/19/07 at 9:50am
The Hilon is, as agreed by 99.9% of the theatre world one of the worst theatres ever built. Its enourmous and very very cold. Think of the Dominion but bigger without the charm-i know the Dominion has little charm but that should give you a good idea of the Hilton. We sat in row J stalls and even there the show felt isolated from the audience. YF will have a better time with the critics than TLM. The TLM show i saw in Denver needs 75% or more, reworking before it opens in NY. Talking to people here in NY last night that is something Disney HAVENT done and it wasa concious choice not to!!! I wanted to love it of ncourse but within 20 mins of starting i lost interest and just sat there with no excitment as to what may be next. Such a sad lost opportunity.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#5
Posted: 10/19/07 at 10:05am
Do you think that TLM will be a audience hit or will it be another Tarzan? I ahve a feeling that this will be a big hit for Disney despite what people will say.

Is YF going to be another Producers as I am thinking of booking now to avoid dissapointing?

I like the Dominion as it has a lot of history and it was he first theatre I went into as a child when I got to see Grease. Although, it appears they are doing renovating work on the facade at the moment as there is a huge plastic cover with a little WWRY sign in front of the theatre.
Updated On: 10/19/07 at 10:05 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#6
Posted: 10/19/07 at 10:19am
It will get 2 maybe 3 years on Broadway. It will be no where near the hit 'Beauty' was in NY. It just doesnt have that fairytale, magical feel about it which is whats expeted of a Disney live show. If it comes to London and theres no talk at the moment that it will, it think it will disappear like 'Beauty And The Beast' did a few years back and Disney are still stunned that that show didnt make money in London. Everyone working on it was taken aback.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#7
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:20pm
I dont even think mermaid will last 2 years

I have seen this show and its awful, from sets to costume,lighting to music its just very poor (and the ending is rubbish) i actually enjoyed Tarzan more than this and that was weak as well
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#8
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:22pm
Have you been watching those dodgy DVDs again SADM2???
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#9
Posted: 10/19/07 at 7:42pm
busted
BustopherPhantom Profile PhotoBustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#10
Posted: 10/21/07 at 6:32pm
I dont even think mermaid will last 2 years

I have seen this show and its awful, from sets to costume,lighting to music its just very poor (and the ending is rubbish) i actually enjoyed Tarzan more than this and that was weak as well

Abandon not all hope, songanddanceman2. I hear they're fixing the ending.
"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#11
Posted: 10/21/07 at 8:21pm
well if they are fixing the ending then i give it 2 years and 2 days lol
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#12
Posted: 10/21/07 at 10:18pm
Busted!
You mean 'Busted Again!' lol
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#13
Posted: 10/22/07 at 8:30am
Do you think (wickedboy2) that this will travel beyond Broadway considering the mixed fortunes of THE PRODUCERS? I really doubt that we'll be seeing it in Australia considering the losses on THE PRODUCERS here.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#14
Posted: 10/22/07 at 8:36am
I think YF will do better than The Producers when or if it transfer across the word simply because its story is more universal compared to the The Producers and I think Young Frankenstein is probably Mel Brook's best known film.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#15
Posted: 10/22/07 at 8:40am
I just can't see producers who paid mega bucks for the rights to THE PRODUCERS and got burnt, lining up again. Did THE PRODUCERS turn a profit in London? It didn't in Australia or Canada.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#16
Posted: 10/22/07 at 8:52am
Its a tough one. The London production of 'The Producers' didnt make any money back but with 'Young Frankenstein', as was mentioned before, its much more of a world know product and its chances around the world are much higher. The Canadian production of The Producers came off nearly a year earlier than planned and that was with 2 very well known Canadian comerians (proberbly theworst production ive seen!). The Madrid production was gone within 6 months and its planned transfer to Barcelona cancelled. The UK tour is only just stumbling along and only getting money in for its Cardiff thanks to the last minute casting of Peter Kay again. In Southampton recently it was playing to barely half houses on most nights. I honestly think 'Young Frankenstien' will travel much better. Its a stunning production as i said and i still cant get the s/f in the lab out of my head. I think London will have it in 18 months or so but the guys i had dinner with afterwards said that London hasnt or anywhere else for that matter been mentioned as yet. Book your flight now i say!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#17
Posted: 10/22/07 at 9:02am
I thought The Producers recouped its intial investment in London? I know that it did really well when Nathan Lane and Lee Evans were in it but played to half empty houses after that. It still did a good two year run but I feel it would of done better has it gone to a smaller theatre like the Prince Edward or Shaftesbury.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#18
Posted: 10/22/07 at 9:15am
No it didnt make its initial back even tho it did amazing bizz at the top end of its run. It wasa very expensive shaow to run and it got a good run at Drury Lane.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#19
Posted: 10/22/07 at 9:31am
I'm amazed that they chose Drury Lane for The Producers as it was far too big for a medium sized show like The Producers but I guess theatre availability was a factor. Apparently only a third of the stage was used at DL with the rest used as a wardrobe village for all the cstumes changes.

I think YF would be well suited for Drury Lane as it is meant to be a big production which was the reason why they chose The Hilton over the St James to host YF.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#20
Posted: 10/22/07 at 9:32am
It was the same here. It opened well in Melbourne but within a few months was playing to less than impressive houses. Brisbane wasn't good and Sydney not much better. It closed in the red.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#21
Posted: 10/22/07 at 11:02am
YF is a show with a lot of problems and i think the critics are going to be more than happy to point them out.Act 1 is the biggest problem, i know they have trimmed a little bit off since its Out Of Town try out but it needs more than that doing.

The theatre community also seems to be turning against mel brooks a bit with his OTT ticket prices ($400 premium seats) and the fact hes not releasing the shows grosses.

The producers came over here because it won so many Tony Awards and the critics fell over themselves for it, i dont think that lightning is going to strike twice.

They will also take in to account that the Producers run over here was not profitable and apart from Manchester the tour also failed.

If you think about it the producers did not do as well as people thought it would on broadway
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#22
Posted: 10/22/07 at 11:16am
'The Producers' on Broadway.
It was a hailed as the greatest musical ever on Broadway and wound run forever. The box office went thru the roof and tickets were sold for up to $500 AT the theatre! THEN Mr Lane and Mr Broderick left and it closed after 6 years (and houses of as low as 55%). Thats a little shorter run than that of Cats Phantom etc etc etc and bit shorter than'will run forever'! hate to say it but 'thats showbizz!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#23
Posted: 10/22/07 at 11:40am
and the thing which is fantastic about YF is the cast, i fear the same thing will happen when they leave
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Young Frankenstein' on Broadway!#24
Posted: 10/22/07 at 11:49am
Absolutelly! but will be just a little easier to sell than 'The Producers' -just!