HAIRSPRAY!
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray New Casting!#2
Posted: 7/20/07 at 10:05am
Tracie Bennett ROCKS! That is the best bit of casting
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray New Casting!#2
Posted: 7/20/07 at 4:29pm
is there a link yet?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
bingbong
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hairspray New Casting!#3
Posted: 7/22/07 at 2:22pm
Michael Ball as Edna - Ha! :)

I wouldn't have imagined that in a million years, lol

xx
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hairspray New Casting!#4
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:09pm
Why's this new cast not on the website yet?
fairygodmother Profile Photofairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray New Casting!#5
Posted: 7/24/07 at 7:38pm
they were still seeing links after the rest of the cast was supposed to be finished with.
not keen on paul manuel, but i'm willing to give him the doubt.
is tracie bennett old enough to be playing these parts now? still, she'll be great.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray New Casting!#6
Posted: 7/25/07 at 7:58am
She'll kill me for saying this but yes TB is old enough! haha i'll show her this board.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray New Casting!#7
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:22am
Ben Ellis is playing Link.

The cute one from that Joseph programme who came fourth I think!
Rocky Horror Profile PhotoRocky Horror Profile Photo
Rocky Horror
Swing
Swing
re: Hairspray New Casting!#8
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:31am
^ Has it been confirmed, then?

I knew he'd auditioned but didn't know if he'd got the part or not. Shame. The actor I know who auditioned would have been much better I'm sure. Then again, I was never a fan of Ben on Any Dream Will Do. After hearing him sing live (I saw the live final recording) I'm still not very convinced he's the right choice.

I hope he proves me wrong, though! I wouldn't like to judge him before I see him, so I'll certainly give him a chance!
-------------------------- "At the late night, double feature Picture Show"
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray New Casting!#9
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:25am
There will be inevitable comparisons especially with the release of the movie ( which looks like it is going to be Hit!) and a little from those who may have seen the original on Broadway, but the exposure will also give a great boost to the London transfer.

I think Michael Ball will nail down the role in his own inimitable way. He has a good flair for comedy, will probably sing the songs better ( Marc Shaiman did say that he will suit the keys and arrangements - frills- to show off Michael's voice -- check the Q&A thread on the Broadway board initiated by Marc), is perfect for the energy of the concert-like scenes ( being a veteran of many concerts) and has an exciting stage presence.

The only other member of the cast I am familiar with is Paul Manuel, whom I have seen in the role of TONY in a West End revival of West Side Story years back.

Isn't the show previewing in October?
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray New Casting!#10
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:16am
Well I trust the casting directors and producers more than I trust the opinions of people based on a crap tv talent show.
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray New Casting!#11
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:50pm
What a great shame he is being cast. I was pretty excited by the rest of the cast but his is something of a sour note.

I had the misfortune of coming across him after one of the Joseph programmes and he was all over people outside asking who wanted his autograph and being, well let's just say, not very modest about himself. One poor woman said she didnt want his autograph and he got really blunt back at her. At time the phrase a***hole found it way through the crowd. So not looking forward to seeing him in it AT ALL.

mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray New Casting!#12
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:00pm
I really do not care if people are complete pricks off stage, at stage doors or whatever. So long as they give a good performance thats all I ask.

If he is such a twat then he wont get work after this will he then?
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray New Casting!#13
Posted: 7/27/07 at 4:51am
"If he is such a twat then he wont get work after this will he then?"

er no that is not how it works in this business unfortunately.

Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray New Casting!#14
Posted: 7/27/07 at 5:19am
If you think Ben's bad... try tommy steele.. a friend of mine who was on singing in the rain told me that he was such an arse the crew were pissing in the water tank.. i was like no not tommy steele.. years on. i did scrooge and he waits till everyone has gone from stage door before he steps foot out of his dressing room doesn't sign anything, speak to anyone... but this hasn't stopped his 50 years in the business has it?
x
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray New Casting!#15
Posted: 7/27/07 at 7:54am
Well yeah of course thats not how it works!

Do nice people get on in politics? Well some do in my experience but as an audience member all you need is a good performance and screw the rest of it. None of us are entitled to have nice people who are polite to fans afterwards.

Small town kid from up north goes to tv show then west end....you expect them to be anything other than arrogant? At least with Pop Idol, Will went to a good school and university and thats how he is able to fake the humble pie actre: Hairspray New Casting!

Its the reality whether you like it or not
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray New Casting!#16
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:08am
"Small town kid from up north goes to tv show then west end....you expect them to be anything other than arrogant?"

well yes to be honest. Many others in his boat, from small beginnings to some form of "fame" or glory manage it well. Fingers crossed this kid has improved his vocals significantly since the Joseph programme.
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray New Casting!#17
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:35am
Yeah there's no excuse for such behaviour from him regardless of where he comes from. As if he is the only one to have a difficult background or from the north or whatever point was being tried to be made by kringas. Oh how I love the simplicity of it!

I will admit to be distinctly surprised at him being given this role. He was almost unbearable to watch on 'Any dream will do', his voice was adequate at best and his attitude stank at any time the cameras went to him or when he was allowed to talk. Like it or not how he comes across does send messages to the public but it is fortunate the producers are not relying on his name to bring in the public.

I will see the musical as it is a very good one but I might wait until I know he is out or on holiday before I do as I really do not want to see him at all.
tigerlily2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Hairspray New Casting!#18
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:36am
Personally I expect a LOT more as an audience member than just a good performance, and to be honest some people who have made it to the top can't even give that! It's like looking up to someone your whole life and then finding out they are nothing like you imagined. These people aren't just performers, they are role models. That's something that automatically goes along with the job. WHy do you think there are such things as stage doors?? if that wasn't part of the job, they wouldn't allow it.

A stage performance offers so much more than a film. People can, night after night, gather to compliment someone on their performance or just to meet them. That, in my opinion, deserves a high amount of appreciation on the performers part. Without these people, the actor would'nt have a job.

So yes, i expect more than a good performance. Otherwise they are only doing HALF of their job.
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray New Casting!#19
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:40am
I agree tigerlily2 - a good performance alone is not enough and it is somewhat naive to expect it is.

Although I also agree with one thing kringas said in that we havent the right to expect much from the stage door. I have to say, I find the stage door thing somewhat sad & obsessive from the audience's point of view and incredibly indulgent at times from the actor's side of things. There again if an actor is rude or unpleasant at the stage door we should not have to gloss over that with "oh well, he was good on stage" type nonsense
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray New Casting!#20
Posted: 7/27/07 at 1:07pm
My comments re background were designed to be provactive. Having attended a top Uni I'm quite familiar with arrogance from all walks of life in that form. What I was trying to stir up is the idea that anyone who is thrust into the "limelight" at a young age without completing the training or paying the dues in the ensemble....well what do people expect?

The concept of role model is naive. We live in a society where Heat magazine and all that tabloid nonsense influences what kids look up to. They obsess over chav culture and vulgar WAGs etc. Casting an arrogant boy for a juvenile lead in a West End musical is hardly the first nor the last time such a thing has happened. And in the grand scheme of celeb culture its probably quite tame.
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray New Casting!#21
Posted: 7/28/07 at 6:57am
Who didn't go to a top university though? That is hardly unique, nor a difficult thing to achieve nowadays. Although from the two I went to (Edinburgh initially and then one of the Cambridge colleges for my second degree) there was very little difference in how each felt apart from the academic richness of the places - naivety in abundance, vacuous (but engaging at the time) student politics with many people being "visible" for the sake of being visible rather than any genuine ideal, wacky personalities, great weekend-long parties.......ah, good times at the time but thank God I have moved on and got into reality.

Either way whatever happens with this unpleasant kid, if he falls flat on his face let's hope he learns a lesson from it. If he excels then good on him.

Updated On: 7/28/07 at 06:57 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray New Casting!#22
Posted: 7/28/07 at 7:42am
Im lost as to what the fuss is about this guy. I didnt see one episode of 'Dream'! Can you enlighten me as to whats going on about him?
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray New Casting!#23
Posted: 7/28/07 at 9:19am
re: Hairspray New Casting!

Thats Him on the pic - was a bit of an arse when an old lady sed she didn't want his autograph - that be it...

**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray New Casting!#24
Posted: 7/28/07 at 11:27am
i always liked ben's singing voice and i think he's a brilliant dancer, but i just don't think joseph was really his part, which made him seem really bad on a programme that was looking for joseph, i always thought either ben or lewis would be good as link and i'm sure ben will do a very good job :)

p.s anon2 your pictures a tad too big and scary :P
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Updated On: 7/28/07 at 11:27 AM