I have two weeks left here... what should I see?

sundaymorning6am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
So, I have two weeks left in London, a little less maybe, and I have tickets to see Spamalot, Les Mis, We Will Rock You, and plans to see Billy Elliot, and hopefully Cabaret. I've already seen Wicked, The Lion King, and Mary Poppins. I wanted to see one or two other shows as well. What does everyone suggest?

I was going to see Avenue Q, because I heard they made it more British, but now I'm hearing it's exactly the same, so I'm not bothering [someone correct me if I'm wrong]. I liked Drowsy on Broadway, but not enough to waste time seeing it here. I don't know LOTR at all, and I never want to see Phantom again [I've seen it a few times in New York, and that's really enough].

So, with all that said, what does everyone suggest? And please suggest shows with student discounts or ques... Thanks!
Updated On: 7/9/07 at 06:48 PM
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
come see lotr. they do day seats for £20 i think. little shop of horrors is great. at the ambassadors theatre.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
YES! See "Little Shop of Horrors" at the ambassadors it is amazing! And Avenue Q is the same show as the Broadway one alost, but the cast is just amazing so its worth checking out just for that.
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Although it is baaaad, do see LOTR. It won't be transferring to Broadway. Also Sound of Music, even though I think that Connie is seriously overrated. Oh and why not Joseph. But if you want to see a funny smart show then make sure you catch Little Shop, I loved it.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
gooooooood luck getting tickets for joseph! and LOTR is not bad
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOTR is not a good musical, but it is an entertaining spectacle. It's an important differentiation to make.

Do some plays. The West End is way better at plays than New York. Do The Woman In Black, no arguing. If you want to see history in action, do The Mousetrap. If you want to laugh out loud at silliness, do The 39 Steps (although it is moving to Broadway...). Go see what's playing at the National. Make Orlando-Bloom-loving teenagers envy you and do In Celebration. Watch Poirot ponce around in a dress and do The Last Confession. Whatever you do, please please don't just see musicals. :3
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
see the Drowsy Chaperone, its an amzing show which is hilarious and even though theyve added in british jokes its still has the same elements as the broadway production!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
sundaymorning6am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thank you for your suggestions!

So I saw Woman in Black, it was fantastic. I'm not seeing Drowsy, because I saw it originally in NY and I really didn't love it that much to see it again. LOTR... not on the top of my list. I just don't know the movies, so I probably wouldn't get it.

I think I'm seeing Les Mis [tonight], We Will Rock You, Billy Elliot, In Celebration, Spamalot, and Cabaret!

But I'm open to any last minute suggestions!
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
i personally wouldnt reccomend We will rock you, it has a weak flimsy story and if it wernt for the audience participation in the songs it would be the worst night out ever, you really should see little shop of horrors, amazing cast and is unlike any other show! the cast is fabulous and i know lots of people who have seen it and they all LOVED IT!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
yeh see little shop 1000%!
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Along with all the other posters I can't emphasize more strongly how much you should see Little Shop of Horrors. You won't regret it. Day seats are £20, if you're a student it's £25 for best remaining an hour before.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have already said it but see LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS!!! It is such an amazing production!!!
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
If you have already seen Hitchcock's "39 steps" (or not), run for it, it is a huge and deserved sucess at the Criterion Theatre (Piccadilly Circus).

"Chicago" is a great show if you have never seen it before.

"Les Misérables" : far better than the rivival on Broadway.
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
sundaymorning6am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I can't sit through Chicago... Saw Les Mis last night, FAR better than the current revival is quite right.

Probably Little Shop or Cabaret tomorrow night... WWRY on Monday night, In Celebration & Billy Elliot on Tuesday [what is BE student policy?], and Spamalot on Wednesday.
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
billy elliots student policy does not exist! at all
sundaymorning6am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
darn. i'll just have to go to TKTS for that.

what is Cabarets' rush policy [if one exists]?
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
For thirty-nine steps, yu can have a £12.50 ticket (if I remember well) if student one hour before the show !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
For Cabaret, go to the Lyric box office and quote the Whatsonstage offer. For that you get best remaining (I did it a few weeks ago & got central seats in the stalls, really good) for the bargain price of £17.50 each. But if it's a choice between that & Little Shop, you simply have to see Little Shop over Cabaret.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This production of Cabaret is a serious let down especially after the Donmar and studio 54 production, GO AND SEE LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS its a fantastic production, its not a huge overblown spectacle like the Broadway revival.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I couldn't agree more about Cabaret sadm2. I thought Dreyfus was very good but it didn't have much else going for it.
sundaymorning6am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I heard the ending of Cabaret here was changed a bit from the revival at 54, it was a little bit more moving... that's why I wanted to see it! Any thoughts on that?
sundaymorning6am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Okay, well I saw Kean tonight. It was good... I debated going to Little Shop but it's just not on the top of my list. I think the other show I'm going to see is LOTR, because it's such a huge production...

But can somebody answer my question about the ending of this Cabaret?
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
It's a heavily political ending which is obviously intended to provoke a reaction. For me it came too abruptly: you've had the frolics & nudity, that's over, now it's time for the serious stuff. Of course K&E didn't intend a happy ending, but for me this production went a little OTT & so fell flat. It was such a shame - just a little subtlety and that ending could have been very powerful.
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Forgive the double post...

I also found Michael Hayden very disappointing - anyone agree?
But it's well worth seeing for James Dreyfus.
sundaymorning6am
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I really, really don't want to see LS. I went by the theatre and it doesn't look appealing at all. I did see the Broadway revival, and liked it quite well, so I don't really think I should see it again. Here's my show schedule for the rest of the week:

Monday: We Will Rock You
Tuesday: In Celebration, 2:30pm; Billy Elliot, 7:30pm
Wednesday: Spamalot
Thursday: Lord of the Rings, 2:30pm

Possibly Cabaret at 2:30pm on Wednesday, or Thursday night. I'm not sure.