Page: 1

Desperately Seeking Susan

Ryan2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Desperately Seeking Susan#1
Posted: 7/9/07 at 2:33pm
Confirmed to now open at THE NOVELLO (not Gielgud as Drowsy is vacating early!)

http://www.seeking-susan.co.uk/

booking goes live tomo at 10am!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#2
Posted: 7/11/07 at 10:59am
I'm posting here as the other thread has disintegrated into mass stupidity.

I wasn't that hot on the show to start with, but the news that Emma Williams and Kelly Price - two of my favourite actresses - will be starring has certainly piqued my interest. It'll be interesting to see how closely the songs are woven into the story - Our House being the show that it would have to measure up to for me - or if it's just going to go down the fun campy route (hello Mamma Mia!).

(Edited to change Kelly Reilly to Kelly Price. Why would Kelly Reilly be doing a musical? Am going slowly crackers...)

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 7/12/07 at 10:59 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#2
Posted: 7/11/07 at 11:04am
I agree eastwickan Emma will be great in the Madonna role

Im hoping it doesn't head down the campy route

PS totally of topic but did you watch Witches at the Signature?
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#3
Posted: 7/11/07 at 11:12am
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I've only seen the film once and that was aaaaages ago. I really can't remember what is was even about! But I have confidence that Miss Williams will be stellar as always re: Desperately Seeking Susan

I did see Witches at Signature - my (rather rambling) review is on the last page of the thread linked below. Let me know if you want any more details!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=937670#3152863

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 7/11/07 at 11:12 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#4
Posted: 7/11/07 at 11:31am
glad you liked it , i can only watch it on a not so legal format lol but looking forward to seeing it as ive heard so many good things about it

I love the film DSS but then im a huge madonna fan haha
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#5
Posted: 7/11/07 at 12:02pm
I'm ambivalent about this. I think there is an audience for it & casting is looking good so far. But my take is that depending on the success of Hairspray the movie, it's going to have stiff competition come October, and if people are going to see a movie-turned-musical it's going to be Hairspray.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#6
Posted: 7/11/07 at 12:03pm
i agree i think Hairspray will be the main attraction , and the film is looking like its going to be big judging of early reviews
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#7
Posted: 7/11/07 at 2:10pm
SongAnd Dance can i just say i appreciate your support in the bitter campaign against me on these boards. Also to the others who have given me thanks for the info ive put into some posts. I dare not say anything else cos it will be ripped apart yet again. thanks guys
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#8
Posted: 7/11/07 at 5:16pm
There's absolutely no need to be a queening martyr Wicked63. We are interested in your opinions. Perhaps when you take back those offensive comments about people in wheelchairs I'll start listening to you again.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#9
Posted: 7/11/07 at 5:29pm
There was a brilliant article in the paper today (was it the Independent? We get so many papers at work XP) explaining that some people might be afraid that this is just a "two-bucks" musical, but it'll be fun and worth seeing anyway.

Sadly, my co-workers didn't understand why I found that hilarious, and didn't care to listen to my explanation that they meant "jukebox". re: Desperately Seeking Susan
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#10
Posted: 7/11/07 at 7:45pm
..........this is going to be funny for some me thinks.....but what is the show ACTUALY about?? i really have no idea and have only ever heard of it? when was the film originaly out?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#11
Posted: 7/11/07 at 8:03pm
Roberta (Rosanna Arquette in the film) is a bored housewife who dreams about an adventure...She becomes Fascinated by a personal ad what keeps appearing in a newspaper what says desperately seeking Susan(this is Susan and her boyfriends way of arranging to meet up since hes on the road a lot)
Susan (Madonna in the film ) is the total opposite, living a fast and dangerous life.
After Roberta decides to go and get a glimpse of susan by reading in there personal ad the couples next meeting place, Fate steps in............(well that and a bump on the head for roberta who cant remember who she is but some guy mistakes her for susan therefore she thinks she is susan)

they switch cloths, identity - and men, without even knowing of the other's existence.

Roberta gets her adventure: living susans life ,unfortunately a murderer is out to kill Susan ,putting Roberta at risk

Its a whole mistaken identity thing what involves Amnesia , Some Stolen Ear Rings and some other mad things.

Its one of Queen Madges best films and she played Susan so well.

Emma has big shoes to fill
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Desperately Seeking Susan#12
Posted: 7/13/07 at 6:53am
Probably Queen Madge's only good film, but in one of your earlier comments you mentioned that it should have featured a score of earlier madonna tracks instead of Blondie.

I tend to agree, but am still fascinated to see how it all pans out with the Blondie tunes.