Page: 3

LB to come to London!

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#51
Posted: 7/25/07 at 7:27am
Ah Weez i see what you mean! Its very early days for this show to be mentioned as transfering. From friends in a NY casting agency they seem to be haveing trouble with figures at the moment. I havent seen it but its supposed to be so big a show to run on a weekly basis it will be a while until they make money and start thinking about London. A US tour hasnt even been spoken about yet.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#52
Posted: 7/25/07 at 8:45am
i agree its to soon to say but trouble with figures ??? its making nearly 1 million every week so im pretty sure its doing fine.

Its percentage is steady around the mid 80s which is great for a huge theatre like the palace and its income hassnt dropped below 900 thousand.

Its running costs are probably around 600 thousand
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#53
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:15am
Maybe i shouldnt say this but they are a little concerned that it will just about do a years run. Its advance isnt very strong burt good enough for the summer. This is from people inviolved in the production. Im also finding the CD hard to get in to.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#54
Posted: 7/25/07 at 11:03am
Well form what ive heard they are very happy with the way the show is going and have contracted cast until February.You also have to take in to account the amount of money they are making of Product Placement, that easily puses their weekely grosses over $1 million each week.

The show will run for just over a year but i don't think anyone expected it to be the next les mis.The fact that they are making so much money means the show will make its money back if it runs a year.
yankees1253 Profile Photoyankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#55
Posted: 7/29/07 at 9:07pm
The Show is doing well but it could make more money if they laid away for tkts. It is making money for the production. Yeah the cd everyone is loving it but they rather see it live. I looked around xmas time and thanksgiving....the advance is doing very well.
The cast album was #86 on billboard charts and #1 this past week on cast album billboard. it got 4 and half stars on itunes. it is so addicting also,catchy,and fun andd you want to sing along.
Here alot of shows closed this month on broadway.
The show will be here for awhile and its a family fun show too. If you ask people who saw it how it was 1 out of about 500 will say it was not good but the other 499 would say elle of a show,fun,you will be laughing,catchy,omigod it was amazing,and never a dull moment.
songanddanceman2: i remember you writing on our message boards....you know how great the show is.

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#56
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:36am
Yeah i love the show, its the most fun ive had in the theatre in a long time
Wicked Jem
Swing
Swing
re: LB to come to London!#57
Posted: 7/30/07 at 10:01am
Yes the show is great. . . BUT!. . . i do not want it to come to london. My reason for this is because that i don't think it will take off, even if Laura Bell Bundy came over from NYC to do it!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#58
Posted: 7/30/07 at 1:36pm
Are u kidding

You dont think LB will work in the UK even though all the silly fun shows such as Fame, Footloose, Saturday Night Fever, Oh What A Night, dirty Dancing etc etc are all hits here??/

If anything it should have opened here first
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#59
Posted: 7/30/07 at 8:58pm
I had heard the same thing that they are just focusing on how they are doing right now on broadway. And as far as money is concerned it is too soon to talk about a national tour let alone london.

I am not a fan of this show. I saw it and thought that it has a teen girl fanbase for one reason and one reason alone. It has the fabase of the young teen girls who thought that this is how wicked should be. They weren't happy with the fact that ugly girl got her way in wicked and were suprsied to see that ending. In Blonde the moral of the story there is that if you look good that is all that counts.

There are speakers outside the Palace theatre that constetnly play the opening numbe from the show. I don't find the song omigod catch I find it as annoying as the clap.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#60
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:48pm
it just broke a million this week
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#61
Posted: 7/30/07 at 11:35pm
I don't think anyone doubet that it would get that far in the box office. It is still going very strongly from its advanced sales and has some time to go before it is done with thoes. The qustion is how well will it do when the advanced sales are done.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#62
Posted: 7/31/07 at 7:16am
Winston your judgment of it having a teen girl fan base is generalizing.When i watched this in New York they were tons of adults , Gay men, Women etc and everyone had a blast.

And your stupid remark "In Blonde the moral of the story there is that if you look good that is all that counts." that makes me doubt you have seen the show.It has nothing to do with what she looks like that helps her get ahead, in fact if anything her looks hinder her journey , no one takes her seriously, shes hit on and fired thanks to her looks, harvard almost turns her down because of her looks, her boyfriend dumps her because of her looks and so on and so on and so on.

I normally find your posts annoying at best (and normally wrong) but that one has to be the worst.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#63
Posted: 7/31/07 at 3:45pm
Keep in mind songanddanceman that i feel at time that you are too full of youself at times. If you need refrences look back at the post regarding Poppins closing. I doubet you because i just flat out doubt any rumor that has no offical backup and then when it became offical you threw it in my face in a " I told you so" sort of way. Throwing it back in my face as if you were four. Instead of just moving on. You were right in that situation so be it.

But, in regards I did see legally Blonde. I have a good friend who is in the ensamble and i got free tickets. The realization I got that Blonde is one that gets the notion that it attracts young girls who like the whole barbie thing is due to what I saw. Many of the girls were commenting during intermission and after at the stage doorthat they watned to be like elle because she is so gold looking all the time. They neer spoke about how that she got what she wanted or overcam eany dificulities or anything like that.

There was an interesting article in the new york magizine when the show was in previews. It spoke aobut how there is a new trend among teen girls to go to the thatre as something to do. They focused on the three big shows on broadway that are getting a young tween girl audience. Hairspray, Wicked and Blonde are the ones that are getting this kind of ahdience. They spoke about how wicked is getting hat kind of fanbase due tothe fact thtathe main character is different and it talks about how it is good to be differen. Hairspray talks about how no matter what look you can still get what you want. Blonde talks about how in order to get what you want all that matters is that you look good. I agree with this statemnt.

I do feel that it is merging into the steroitipical americian tween girl lifestyle. That all they care about espically girls from the part of the coutnry where elle is from is looking good and having the best things and whatnot. That money gets you everything that you want and that all they care bout is looking good.

It is unfortunate that there is a show like this on broadway. It is not like they have a show that has a positive mesage. Itr dodes come off that the message of the show is look giood and you will get the hot guy.

There is nothing of the sort that says no matter what you look like you will get what you want end the end if you try hard ect.

And, they are gearing the entier show to the young female teen audeience. The merchendie makes it obvoious. There was an article in the new york times that spoke about how they were talking about changing it so tha there were things for guys but so far they have never done that.

It does have a teen fanbase no much more then wicked and hairspray do but it does have one. It is would be not true to say that wicked on broadway has no teen fanbase or that hairspray doesn't have one eiather.

All three have a strong teen fanbase.

When they released the opening number on their website prior to the out of town try out there were so many people on youtube singing to the song. It was before the show even had a preview anywhere. And when hi fidelity closed there were so many people that said that they were looking foward for legally blonde and that when high fidelity closed they wouldn't have anything to see till legally blonde opened.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#64
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:18pm
Again i say how do her looks get her what she wants??? If you have seen the show you should know that its her looks what got in the way and its her strength and belief in herself that gets her through.
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#65
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:19pm
i went with my dad and he loved the show. i say there are lots of guys at the show and they enjoy it. at the stagedoor there were guys there. i am not a tween or teen i loved the show.

i agree with your statement above songanddanceman
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#66
Posted: 8/5/07 at 7:59pm
I saw the show. And during it I was scratching my head trying to figure out why they made this into a broadway show. I spoke to a girl who had seen it a couple of times before and she told me that the reason why they made it into a musical is because of its message of don't judge a book by its cover.

That got me thinking. All three popular musicals on broadway that have a following of young teen girls ( Wicked, Hairspray and Legally Blonde) all have the same message. I just can't figure out what makes this one special. I think that the score isn't that good but it has people liking it because it's catchy.

And, prior to the pre broadway ingagment they put the opening number on thier website. There were a ton of people who downloaded it and put videos of them singing to it on youtube.

I think that it's that I just don't get the attraction with it. I look at is as this rich girl who is good looking and popular doing whatever she needs to to get her way. in this case it means to prove to people that the whole blonde sterotype is not true.

But, I dgress. the point that I am trying to make is that I just don't see how this show is different from the other two I mentioned and I just don't think that this movie and story was worthy of a broadway show.

I am also sick of movies being turned into broadway shows .And when I heard them announce legally blonde as a show I felt that they were really desperate for ideas for a broadway show if they were turning this movie into a show.

I feel that I am okay wth movies being turned into shows I just wish that they would do it with good movies.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#67
Posted: 8/6/07 at 7:59am
Winston they have always been using movies as the basis for broadway musicals right back to the 30s and 40s.It's not a new thing.

Legally Blonde transfered so well to the stage because watching the film you could feel that they were musical potential.

I guess its a matter of taste with LB and your sense of humor.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#68
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:58am
I never said that movies being turned into musicals is a new concept. I was talking about recently. But, the problem nowadays is that it feels as if every moive is being turned into a musical. It feels to me at least that people are watching movies left and right and thinking that what they are watching would make a great broadway musical. I feel that because nowadays they are doing it a lot it is hard to sift through and figure out what is or could be good to what is or could be bad.

I just feel that the three musicalson broadway that have a huge young teen fan base ( Wicked Legally Blond and Hairspray) all have the same message. That is to not judge a book by its cover. I just don't think of legally blonde as a movie that can make a good stage transfer and I don't think there is anything unique to it even with the message it brings only because the other two shows that have the same kind of fan base also have the same message.

Maybe it is because I really don't think that legally blode is stage worthy or maybe its because they are transfering movies to musicals left to right and it has made it hard to figure out what is good and what is bad anymore.

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#69
Posted: 8/6/07 at 12:35pm
well we respect your opinion winston but me and the critics disagree

END XX
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#70
Posted: 8/6/07 at 6:18pm
I just was wondering. Since when are you and the critics the be all and the end all of everything. I think it's pretty clear that with things like these forums and whatnot the role of the critic is different. They don't longer have the power so to speak of closing or keeping a show open with one review.
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: LB to come to London!#71
Posted: 8/7/07 at 6:07am
the critics have all but negligble power nowadays thankfully - before some would exude some sort of Godlike-power.

But critics and industry insiders, their word/opinion often really needs taking with a pinch of salt:

Les Miserables of course (dreadful reviews mostly)- did ok!!
City of Angels - almost universal raves in London but did poorly
Drowsy Chaperone - as with City of Angels
We Will Rock you - most critics crucified it, yet it is still playing

and so on and so forth.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LB to come to London!#72
Posted: 8/7/07 at 9:35am
Yes winston we get it You dont like it and i do, as i said lets beg to differ.