Page: 1

PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT- THE MUSICAL TO OPEN IN 2008...?

stage_door76 Profile Photostage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
There are incredibly strong rumors/conversations circulating that next year, the Australian production of Priscilla The Musical will open on West End.

The show closes its run in Sydney in September (having to vacate the Lyric Theatre after a run in with the producers of the current Australasian tour of Miss Saigon) and opens in Melbourne at the Regent Theatre in October. It will only be able to play till May 2008 at the VERY latest as Wicked will be bumping in to the theatre from then on. That's if it lasts that long, as it will be playing against Anthony Warlow's Phantom and Spamalot.

Whispers from the creative team are strong that after closing in Melbourne, Priscilla will be taking up residency on West End…bus, $1 million worth of costumes and a couple of cast members all traveling with it.

Anyone heard anything similar, or contrary for that matter? Any opinions...?

X

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They were rumors about this ages ago that it would eventually come in to London but i dont know if thats still going to happen as the show issnt doing that great in Oz(hasn't it been contracts with advertising etc what have forced it to stay open?? i remember reading that in a paper.

If thats true or not the fact is that London is very busy next year with new shows so it will be very competitive , i for one would love to see it as i Loved the film.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
theatreboy
Swing
Swing
I know of at least one West End producer who went over to see it earlier this year and he thought it was great! Doesn't mean anything I guess, but he seemed to think he had competition from other producers who also wanted it! Sounds promising
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Last i heard from a cast member that they DID plan on going to London but since London's really busy right now, they're planning on doing a World or Asian tour (which alot of Aussie productions do in the past 2 decades).
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love This Movie! Hope it comes here, it would be great to see a stage production ^_^
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Difficult to imagine what the show can be like... Adapting a road movie into a musical... The authors should have been very tricky ! Yet the film was very good. Still make it analyze to my students ! Looking forward to it !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Never heard of a show being forced to stay open because of an advertising contract!

I think it would have been cheaper to close the show and swallow the advertising costs.

If the advertising cost more than the running costs of the show the marketing manager should be shot!

I have heard at least 1 London producer made the journey and is interested in a West End run.

It could work on stage, but it would be a difficult transition.
stage_door76 Profile Photostage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Its been running in Australia for 10 months to rave reviews and great audiences.

It definitely works on stage, believe me. The question is, will it work in London?
"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."