Page: 1

Romeo and Juliet the Musical

Romeo and Juliet the Musical#1
Posted: 6/3/07 at 9:42pm
I saw this french musical in 2001 or 2002 in ontreal, and despite some problems (and not beign a huge fan of the French/Notre Dame style of musical) I really enjoyed myself and some of the music. I had no idea it was ever adapted into English or performed on the West End. Did anyoen catch it and did it have ANY fans? The fact that Don Black did the new lyrics already gives me an idea of what some its problems probablyw ere... (I think Black can get away with his weak lyrics if the other material is strong--like in Aspects of Love--and sometimes, like in Song and Dance he actually almost rises to the occasion but if the show suffers in any other way his contribution stands out all the more)

E
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#2
Posted: 6/3/07 at 9:56pm
if it was the one with jane Macdonald in your thinking of, it was bloody awful
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
TejanoAngel Profile PhotoTejanoAngel Profile Photo
TejanoAngel
Swing
Swing
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#2
Posted: 6/4/07 at 1:05am
The musical didn't do very well in the west end, apparently the lyric translations were poor and just about everything that made it successful was taken out and changed. It's a shame really because it's done so well in other European countries. I'm quite partial to the Vienna cast :)
The French version is available on DVD btw
Swing
Swing
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#3
Posted: 6/4/07 at 5:15am
It looks liek a one disc CD was released--but I can't find it for sale anywhere--anyone know? i'm curious to hear how bad the new lyrics are...

I know even the French Canadian production I saw changed a few bits (no Death character) but it does sound odd but all too typical that much of the most successful aspects of the original show were changed for London--Still I'm surprised i never even heard about it running there...

While, as I said I'm not a huge fan of this style of Euromusicals (think Notre Dame--big head mikes, very stylized athletic stagings of period pieces, euro pop style music) but I think Romeo and Juliet works--at least in the French version I saw--surprisingly well with some surprisingly memorable music and I'd be curious to hear from someone who saw the European version and the British (I guess it hardly matters to the composer as it's a huge hit nearly everywhere else--he followed it with a French Gone with the Wind musical which from the clips I've seen looks to be less successful...)

E
Jade Profile PhotoJade Profile Photo
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#4
Posted: 6/4/07 at 3:25pm
I've heard the OLCR and seen the French version on DVD. I'm not great at French but from what I could tell, the lyrics in the French version were pretty beautiful. The lyrics in the West End version ranged from OK to dire (e.g. "Fools, men are fools / They're like stubborn mules.") The West End production had various other problems as well (from what I can remember of the reviews, poor set and costumes were mentioned a lot) and really, the only good thing about it was the actors.
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#5
Posted: 6/4/07 at 5:29pm
Shocking evening in the theatre but a camp classic on cd! You should be able to buy the cast recording at www.dresscircle.co.uk

Some terrific vocals on there esp from Sevan Stephen on Empty Sky. Talk about power ballads...such a rich voice that you dont realise he is way above the stave. Also Lorna Want is Juliet and sounds very young and ingenue. Oh and for the uber camp kitsch you get Jane McDonald as the Nurse!
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#6
Posted: 6/5/07 at 3:37am
I'll keep my eyes open for it for sure--I'm all for camp fun :P

As much as I enjoyed the French version live and like a lot of the songs--thinking more and more about it, Don Black or not I think it's a very hard kinda show to import into the West End. The lyrics for the French are good but *very* French (maybe more to the point French pop music)--and much harder to translate than say the original French Les Mis lyrics (but maybe I just think that cuz I know the translation so well of those).

Then you have the stylized--uber stylized--presentation with the big head microphones, the weird costumes, sets, the pop music, the acrobatic dancing... It's the kinda thing I think that for English audiences would have to be much more reconceptualized to avoid being called cheasy but for the rest of Europe (and Japan) is loved.

Though R&J with its stronger score and its less silly mix of stylized and "real" staging should be easier to make the leap that the composer's followup Gone with the Wind (picture people doing flips and singing with those huge microphones in huge hoopskirts--let alone pop music in a much more concrete setting)--or other hits from the same style of Euro musical like France Le Roi Soleil, etc...

Anyway I'll keep an eye out for the CD--disappointing neither amazon.com or uk seem to have it (I own the French cast album) and it doesn't even seem to pop up on people's lists of obscure musicals

*edit* damn dresscircle doesn't have it either though they have about 6 of the foreign recordings of it

Updated On: 6/5/07 at 03:37 AM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#8
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:30pm
No but I always wondered about this--I know that it got VERY unfavourable reviews...
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#9
Posted: 6/21/07 at 8:12am
I agree with SongandDance man it was an awful show. Typical of the shows that freqent the unfortunate Piccadilly. It opened Nov 2002 and somehow ran until Feb the following year despite some very damning reviews. I have the two recordings, the Canadian/French and the London Production.
Updated On: 6/21/07 at 08:12 AM
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Romeo and Juliet the Musical#10
Posted: 6/21/07 at 10:43am
I have the London recording on CD. If youre still interested i will gladly burn one for you no problem.
Updated On: 6/21/07 at 10:43 AM