The Drowsy Chaperone London

CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Drowsy Chaperone London#1
Posted: 5/15/07 at 2:11pm
Hello,
as you all should know the drowsy chaperone started previews last night in London. I am wonderin if anybody reading this has seen it or are seeing it in the near future, i am not seein it till 2nd June so am anxious to hear what others think!!!!! Please leave a comment if you have seen it or even heard anything about it in london!!!
Thanx.
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
Norma D Profile PhotoNorma D Profile Photo
Norma D
Understudy
Understudy
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#2
Posted: 5/15/07 at 3:03pm
Check out the messageboards at Dress Circle and Whats On Stage--there were a few people who went last night that posted their thoughts. Pretty positive! :)
Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men. --Margo Channing
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#2
Posted: 5/15/07 at 5:44pm
I'm going 24th May. Little bit excited! :3
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#3
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:47pm
I won't be seeing it until June 23rd, but I am very excited!
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#4
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:01am
Minor 'joke spoilers'

I saw the first preview and was surprised how much I actually liked it, despite not being overkeen on the cast album. They've made some changes to the Man in Chair's dialogue to add in British references such as the Drowsy cast album being made for the London transfer as well as jokes at the 'success' of Broadway transfers and the theatre's frequent name changes. It's warm and funny little show (though whether it's worth 55 for 1h45 is another matter) and the audience lapped up the self-knowing humour.

The show was pretty perfect performance-wise and the cast already seem really comfortable with the material - Summer Strallen was especially good. Elaine Paige, though not possessed of the greatest comic timing, sent herself up royally to great effect. The only hiccup came right at the end when a piece of set going up and a curtain coming down got a little tangled, much to the delight of the audience re: The Drowsy Chaperone London

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 5/18/07 at 05:01 AM
BROADWAYFAN3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#5
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:49am
seeing it 6/8 can't wait
theatreboy
Swing
Swing
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#6
Posted: 5/18/07 at 7:11am
I saw it on wednesday night. It was great fun. Very cleverly written and the cast looked like they were having a ball. Only disappointment was John Partridge. Joe Alessi was particularly good as the Spanish Lothario.
I wonder if anyone could help me out. Mrs Tottendale is supposed to played by Anne Rogers. On wednesday the actress playing the part looked much younger. Is she ill or has she pulled out? No announcements were made and no notices. Have to say if the that was the understudy she was very good and the age didn't matter.
YessicaB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#7
Posted: 5/19/07 at 6:50am
Yes, Anne Rogers was out for two performances as she was quite sick but is back in the show now.

There were flyers in the programs about the cast change though.
Theatre lad2
Swing
Swing
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#8
Posted: 5/19/07 at 8:52am
Saw this last night. WOW! The highlights were of course BOB MARTIN. THe audience loved the show. Also SUMMER STRALLEN, JOHN PARTRIDGE, JOE ALLESSI turned out fantastic performances, go see this show, it really does what it says on the tin. Pure magic!
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#9
Posted: 5/29/07 at 6:53am
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
Updated On: 6/8/07 at 06:53 AM
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#10
Posted: 5/30/07 at 2:50pm
Just got back from seeing it this afternoon, and i thought it was great. Bob Martin has written a cracking show that really breezes by.

The core of the show really has this sad premise of a guy who is obviously bitter with life, and the only way he finds he can get through it is by listening to his old cast recordings.

The show really does belong to Bob Martin. I could have quite happily sit and listened to him for hours. He really knows how to deliver.

The marketeers have obviously used Elaine Page to sell the show (as she's the biggest name)but i felt out of all of the cast she was the one who didnt really do it for me. The part is a supporting role, and i felt she just isnt as funny as she could have been. Her comic timing isnt great, and i think she just gets lost in the other performances.

Summer Strallen was good, but not outstanding. That is due to the part. There just isnt that much for her to do. Martin is no fool. He knows this show is about him and everything else is just secondary, but thats the way it should be.

The best performance for me came from Joseph Alessi as Aldolpho. Fantastic performance.

I also love the fact that this show is extremly short. 100 minutes with no interval. I could quite happily watch this for 2 and a half hours, but it might have lost some of its impact in the second hour.

I think the woman next to me was a bit miffed that she wouldnt be able to have her G&T in the interval.

I think more musicals should start the trend, but would people want to fork out 50 for 100 minutes in the theatre. As long as its good i dont see why not.

Go and see it now while its previewing. I got my ticket for 12 online and they even handed out free, yes free souvenir brochures when we came out. BAS****S!!! If i had known i would'nt have bought a programme. Inside it has a hysterical Gable & Stein discography complete with album covers and songs listings.

This show will have its haters, but i cant remember the last time i actually enjoyed a US import on stage as much as this.
Updated On: 5/30/07 at 02:50 PM
IMsooHyprToday Profile PhotoIMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#11
Posted: 6/1/07 at 2:54am
Its a wonderful show for anyone who loves musical theatre.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#12
Posted: 6/5/07 at 3:36pm
Well, i saw drowsy sat mat and i was blown away! it was fantastic, funniest and best show ive ever seen! although when i saw it the audience was full of old people, prob cause of elaine page, and they didnt laught at any of the jokes where me and my friends where crying with laughter. But can i just say, at the end when bob starts singing stumble along reprise, did anyone else find that really sad, me and my friend both had a tear in our eyes, it was soooo emotionaal!
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#13
Posted: 6/5/07 at 3:48pm
Even though the show is an out an out comedy, i felt that it had this really tragic thread running through it. The man in a chair is sad and lonely and can only bring himself out of his depression by living in his own fanatasy world of musicals.

I think many people can see themselves in him, which makes the show even more effective.
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#14
Posted: 6/5/07 at 3:51pm
double post
Updated On: 6/5/07 at 03:51 PM
Patti LuPone FANatic Profile PhotoPatti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#15
Posted: 6/7/07 at 11:20pm
Hello all. I had the chance to see "Drowsy" on Broadway, last week. It was a joy! My favorite character was the Chaperone. Beth Leavel was sublime, for a lush. I also bought the cd. I can't get that overture out of my head. The only bad experience I had at the Marquis Theatre were these two cows who were talking thru the show. At the end of the show, I stood up and told them to their faces: "thanks for ruining the show, loudmouths." Oh, how I wish I could go to London...someday.. "As we stumble along...." from Roman in Austin, Texas USA.....the official Patti LuPone FANatic
"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 6/19/07 at 11:20 PM
YessicaB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#16
Posted: 6/9/07 at 7:47am
Hey Fanatic

Hope you get to see it here as well. Such a great cast.
I really hope this will run a while. The reviews were mixed but the audience loves it every night.
BROADWAYFAN3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Drowsy Chaperone London#17
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:24am
LOVE THIS SHOW !!!!!!!!!!