Page: 1

Gypsy, did I miss something?

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Gypsy, did I miss something?#1
Posted: 4/13/07 at 3:42pm
Ok ive just watched Gypsy starring Bette Midler, this is my first introduction to this musical having barely known anything about it until now. Everyone seems so excited by the prospect of a West End revival I thought i better see what the fuss is about.

Did I miss something? Its enjoyable, but I couldnt quite see what gets everyone so passionate. The story moves along at break neck speed, which sometimes doesnt help the development, some things seem to be rushed and happen too quickly. For example Mama rose and Herbie get together so quickly, Gypsy rose Leighs transformation to stripper happens in blink of an eye, everything just felt rushed - maybe its the movie not the musical itself.

The music, I didnt find especially memorable and bit old fashioned which I guess is to be expected, or are there songs cut from the movie? yes there ar eone or two well known classics in there, but otherwise it didnt grab me. The story itself only got interesting and involving once they got to the Burlesque house. As its about a pushy stage mother I think in this day and age people could relate to it.

As for modern day casting, well I think Anne Hathaway would be an interesting choice to play the daughter, and as for Mama rose, Patti Lupone I dont know well enough as a perfromer to say if she could do it or not, but Elaine Paige is way too old now. And is the role really that demanding?

I dont mean to sound as negative as im being, I did enjoy it and would see it on stage, but I just couldnt see what everyone gets excited about.

Id love to hear others opinions, is it better on stage? am I alone in my views? did I miss something!?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy, did I miss something?#2
Posted: 4/13/07 at 4:37pm
I imagine most of the excitement comes in seeing it live and having a major diva in the role of Rose. You're on a theatre site, so I'm pretty much positive you'll agree that a live theatre version of a musical is always going to be more exciting than just watching a DVD of it. And if you've got an aces performer - such as major diva Bernadette Peters, major diva Patti LuPone, etc - then it's going to be BEYOND exciting. I'm certainly not what you'd call a major 'Gypsy' fan, but I can't think of anything more exciting (without diving into the realms of extreme unlikeliness/impossibility) than having a West End production of it with Patti LuPone. *_*

Movies are often cut down as well. We think nothing of sitting for three hours to watch a show, but our butts get an interval; the average film-watcher would most likely have to get a serious think on before committing to three hours, no interval.

Sorry if that made limited sense, I'm pretty tired right now. XD
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gypsy, did I miss something?#2
Posted: 4/13/07 at 6:37pm
No NS you didnt miss anything. Both of the movie versions were pretty apalling. I like the score but i've never been a huge fan of it.

I do think that seeing it live would make a difference, but i wish i was alive when Merman did it.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy, did I miss something?#3
Posted: 4/14/07 at 4:58am
For me, Angela Lansbury is the definitive Rose. Though I have liked Bette Midler at times, her acting is horrible in the TV movie Gypsy.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy, did I miss something?#4
Posted: 4/16/07 at 11:19am
The good thing about the Bette Midler (made for TV) movie is that nothing from the book was cut. The original Rosalind Russell movie was rescripted from the stage show, approval for the Midler project was only given the go ahead on the proviso that the stage script be used. Every word in this telemovie is what you'd hear from the stage.

Now NS, I have to ask what are your favourite shows? Please don't say Les Mis, Cats, Mamma Mia, Dirty Dancing, Fame or Miss Saigon.
Updated On: 4/16/07 at 11:19 AM
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gypsy, did I miss something?#5
Posted: 4/16/07 at 11:44am
Depends on what im after

If I want to be cheered up and something thats purely entertaining then yeah Mamma Mia is perfect for that. Also love Avenue Q. Yep love LEs Miz, and Billy Elliot as I find them both moving shows. Cats is always special as its my first musical I saw. Sunset Blvd is a major favourite.

To be honest there ar efew shows I dont like,in fact I would say there are under 10 shows I could honestly say I couldnt find something to like (Fame, Dirty Dancing, Dr Dolittle and High Society being a few of them). Im not slating Gypsy, but it just seems to be put on a pedestool and I couldnt work out why, i enjoyed it but it wasnt this great masterpiece people seemed to give the impression it is. I didnt realise it was a TV movie so that could well have something to do with it, and id love to still see Gypsy on stage to decide for myself. What works on stage doesnt always work on screen and vica versa.

alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy, did I miss something?#6
Posted: 4/16/07 at 9:35pm
Fair enough. I can't see the likes of shows such as FAME, MAMMA MIA and CATS even comparing to GYPSY. GYPSY is gold, those others are just crap. I guess you really need to see a good production of GYPSY to understand. I hope you have to opportunity soon.
goldenboy Profile Photogoldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy, did I miss something?#7
Posted: 5/6/07 at 11:51pm
Try the Rosiland Russell version of Gypsy. Russell's interpretation is far better than
Midler's one note interpretation in which she played (sic) Bette Midler. As was said earlier, it works better on the stage.

But to try the Rosiland Russel Natalie Wood version.