Page: 1

Which show to see

Bret Profile PhotoBret Profile Photo
Bret
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Which show to see#0
Posted: 1/3/04 at 8:40pm
Hello! This summer, I will be spending a week in London with my school choir. We will all be all 16-19 years of age when we go. My choir teacher has asked me to help pick which musical we should go see. I have it down between the following:
Fame
Mamma Mia
The Phantom of the Opera
The Lion King
Toroughly Modern Millie
Anyhing Goes
Les Mis
Chicago.
There will be 50 kids and about 20 parent chaperones. Other show reccomendations are also welcome. Thanks for the help!!

Bret
"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Which show to see#1
Posted: 1/4/04 at 3:07am
What about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? It's great fun, and if any of your choir members have seen the film, they will probably find it interesting to see how it transferred to the stage. Not to mention the sight of the car actually flying around the stage, and at the end, over the audience.

Will you be doing concerts in London?
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Which show to see#2
Posted: 1/4/04 at 6:15am
For my money, the two best shows in London right now are Chicago and Les Mis - both quite different shows for different tastes. Possibly the best bet for a large group of both teenagers and adults is Les Mis, although maybe many of them will already have seen it.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Bret
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: Which show to see#3
Posted: 1/4/04 at 3:13pm
KEC- Yes. We will be performing in London. I think we go to edinburg first, then York, then London(performing in each).
"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Which show to see#4
Posted: 1/4/04 at 4:59pm
Oh, lovely... my choral group (one of many in Northern Virginia) did a UK tour one year, but I couldn't go for financial reasons. Edinburgh is a lovely place and London -- well, there's nothing quite like it. I haven't made it to York yet though...one of these days.

I wish you and your group well for the tour -- and I HIGHLY recommend Chitty! re: re: re: re: Which show to see
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Which show to see#5
Posted: 1/12/04 at 5:02am
OOh I went to England and Scotland on tour with a choir I was in from Indianapolis a couple years ago. We saw FAME and the performers did an amazing job. I was blown away they really made up for the weakness of the book IMO. But I would go for something newer like Chitty if you can, something no one has seen.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Which show to see#6
Posted: 1/12/04 at 7:26am
I'd say Thoroughly Modern Millie, good fun for all.
Bret
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
OK! My teachers have said that The Lion King is their first choice. Can anybody tell me how it is in London(ive seen the US tour), and about the theatre(any bad seats, comfort level, legroom??) Thanks!
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw it in London about four years ago. I sat in the Royal (sometimes known as "Dress") Circle maybe 2-3 rows from the front of the circle, smack in the center. It was a great view. I loved the show, thought it was great -- the actor who played Scar was so good he got a round of boos even at the curtain call. Legroom, as I recall, was pretty much like any other theatre. Tickets back then were pretty hard to come by. I got very lucky.

Just in case -- if your group decides to see Chitty, the best place to sit for that is either in the Royal Circle, or if you choose to sit in the stalls (orchestra) no further back that row K (I think). If you end up sitting under the Royal Circle you miss some of the action when the car flies.

If the people in the UK who are organizing your tour don't do the theatre tickets for you, call the box office or, for Lion King, check the website. Try not to go through a ticket broker if you can avoid it.
Bret
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
OK! My Teacher put in the following shows as our choices.
1) Lion King
2) Chicago
3) Thoroughly Modern Millie

Thanks so much!