Porgy and Bess sued?!!

beyondblessed Profile Photobeyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Porgy and Bess sued?!!#1
Posted: 2/16/07 at 4:48pm
Hello all, im in the states,
but I was greatly excited about the reworking of Porgy and Bess that’s supposedly been a huge hit on the west end. There has also been buzz about it coming to Broadway in 2007. But I was speaking with a voice faculty at my school (She has a pretty big name in the Opera World) and she was told me that the Gershwin’s' estate were outraged and also suing those behind the current production in the west end and that the show has no chance of making it in the states. Does anyone know if this is true? Also if anyone has seen it, how was the show?
Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Porgy and Bess sued?!!#2
Posted: 2/16/07 at 6:04pm
Hey,

I'm from France and I saw the show two weeks ago when I made it to London. I can tell you that it is brilliant. The cast is one of the best in the West End. The sets and lighting are of a genius's work. The score is as powerful as the lyrical score. The tempo is lively. Some assume that some of the original score have been taken out to make it last 2h55 with an interval of 15 minutes, frankly I haven't notice (but it's true that I do not know the opera by heart !). The choereography is stupendous. A show to be seen and I hope that a London cast album will be issued very soon !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Porgy and Bess sued?!!#2
Posted: 2/16/07 at 8:32pm
Dear Beyond - As I noted on the Broadway board, I am not aware of any lawsuit by the Gershwin estates. This production was mounted with their approval.
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Porgy and Bess sued?!!#3
Posted: 2/17/07 at 6:53am
That's what I heard too !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
iliketheater Profile Photoiliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Porgy and Bess sued?!!#4
Posted: 2/21/07 at 11:19pm
o, what I wouldn't give to be able to fly out & see this now! Any predictions about which cast member might come reprise their roles over here?