Les Miserables

eyekanspehl
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Les Miserables#1
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:57am
I tried searching for this information, and came up with nothing, so I thought I'd ask here. Since the Broadway return engagement has some changes from the original production (orchestrations, some staging, etc), is there any possiblity of the West End production being updated to match the current Broadway production? Or has it happend yet?

Thanks.
theminutepast
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Les Miserables#2
Posted: 2/5/07 at 10:11am
I'd be interested to know this too.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#2
Posted: 2/5/07 at 2:34pm
I very much doubt it since people havent liked the changes to the broadway revival
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Les Miserables#3
Posted: 2/5/07 at 3:39pm
what are the staging changes exactly??
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#4
Posted: 2/6/07 at 12:43pm
The orchestrations have changed in the broadway revival because there are less people in the pit then the current London production and the original broadway production.

They decided to approach the peace as a new peace. The set being that it's the set used in the US natonal tour is the same. They made some minor costume changes ( most notabily is that Cossett wears a white dress instead of a black one) and they decided to do new blocking. The iconic images are there. Such as Enjlorish waving the flag during the battle and the flag being waved during one day more. I was told that they went with the blocking that was used for the original london production. They changed most of the London show years ago to go along with the new changes for the then new broadway production. That has become what the show currently is.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Les Miserables#5
Posted: 2/6/07 at 2:11pm
The show on Broadway now mirrors the West End version, not the other way round. There might have been a few minor changes to the broadway production, but in all reality, its just a stop on the US tour.
little_fall_of_rain
Understudy
Understudy
re: Les Miserables#6
Posted: 2/7/07 at 5:18am
I just saw the revival this past January after seeing Les Mis when I was in London in December. In the revival they changed Fantine's costume a bit, gave Cosette costume changes (she still has the black dress for look down but has the white for for AHFOL) They also cut "Little People" off and changed the Little People's reprise to Ten Little Bullets" They also put the scene where Valjean tries to stay at the inn (in the prologue) back into the show
Personally I didn't care for the new orchestrations they were very thin and used the brass section a lot which made it sound tinny to me.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#7
Posted: 2/7/07 at 5:43am
How many people are in the pit on Broadway? Because for the past three years London has about 9 musicians and an Apple Mac...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Les Miserables#8
Posted: 2/7/07 at 12:58pm
"for the past three years London has about 9 musicians and an Apple Mac..."

I don't know much about music for shows but this made me chuckle.
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Les Miserables#9
Posted: 2/8/07 at 10:19am
Yeah there was such an outcry from musicians when they said the should would be mainly synthesized after the move from the Palace, i could'nt picture the Broadway production one being as small as this, is it??
theminutepast
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Les Miserables#10
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:20pm
I don't know the size, but it's very small.

I enjoyed the new blocking, some of which was borrowed from the London production, most notably ALFOR. I also enjoyed the new costumes. Although, Fantine's factory dress is always changing in small ways, whether the pattern used or the patches. The color is always blue.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#11
Posted: 2/14/07 at 10:47am
The reason why the orchestra is small because due to new union rules they had to take away the number of people in the pit. Thus, when Les Miserables opened they were affected with this situation and like every other broadway musical they had to make thier pit smaller.

Also, it isn't a carbon copy of the london production. I heard that they went with original london blocking for this. I have also heard that they re did the blocking completly so who knows.

And this is not just a stop on the tour. It is turning into another open ended production.

There never has been a broadway show's national tour that did a touring stop in broadway. The only show that did this was Annie and that was at a theatre anexed to Madison square garden and not a broadway house.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#12
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:19am
The reason why the orchestra is small because due to new union rules they had to take away the number of people in the pit

Really? I can't imagine that the union would force producers to hire fewer musicians. They've probably just relaxed the rules which mean that they can get away with it now...

There never has been a broadway show's national tour that did a touring stop in broadway

I have a feeling that the original productions of West Side Story and Dreamgirls did just that. Though I think that it was the end of their respective tours...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 2/14/07 at 11:19 AM
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Les Miserables#13
Posted: 2/14/07 at 12:13pm
In your dreams, mate ! lol
Let's keep the original production in London...
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#14
Posted: 2/14/07 at 1:27pm
There was only one production of dreamgirls on broadway and that was the original production same with west side.

And the lower number of people in the pit was something that came out of the 2003 musicians strike. I am not sure of the logistics as to why this happend but I do know that this is a result of the strike.
Updated On: 2/14/07 at 01:27 PM
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#15
Posted: 2/15/07 at 11:44am
BUMP
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#16
Posted: 2/16/07 at 8:16am
Winston - check out www.ibdb.com, it has details for all shows in New York. Searching Dreamgirls brings up:

#1 Dec 20, 1981 - Aug 11, 1985 Musical / Original Imperial Theatre, NY, USA
#2 Jun 28, 1987 - Nov 29, 1987 Musical / Revival Ambassador Theatre, NY, USA

And #2 (the 'revival') was the tour stop. Same for West Side Story.

The musicians strike was an effort to prevent theatre owners scrapping the house minimums which set an agreed number of players that must play at every performace. As a compromise, the minimums were only lowered (though it still angered the union members), but thankfully not scrapped altogether...

lesmisforever Profile Photolesmisforever Profile Photo
lesmisforever
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Les Miserables#17
Posted: 2/24/07 at 7:21pm
My GOD are the orchestrations terrible! I was especially surprised with the overture. At first I thought they were warming up, but no, they dumbed down the orchestrations terribly!
"I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Les Miserables#18
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:44am
The only - and last - solution : make it to London !

You should not complain we've sent you the best Madame Thénardier ever : Jenny Galloway. By the way, how is she doing ?
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Updated On: 2/27/07 at 05:44 AM
lesmisforever Profile Photolesmisforever Profile Photo
lesmisforever
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Les Miserables#19
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:47pm
She was great when I saw her.
"I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#20
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:05am
I heard that Grantiere (spelling??)or was it Enjolras plays the guitar in Drink with Me???? Weird... Anyway, cannot WAIT to hear and see pixs of Lea Salonga as Fantine! I wish she can do it in London... obviously cant though as she's touring the world with Cinderella after Les Mis re: Les Miserables (hopefuly Cinders will come to Hong Kong!)
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Les Miserables#21
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:39am
I do think it is a fake guitar !
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#22
Posted: 2/27/07 at 3:31pm
Galloway is the best Madame by far! Haven't seen Les Mis in NY, just saying.

Tell me, this 'Overture', is there actually an overture, or do you mean the little play-in to the Prologue? On the Full Symphonic there's only about 15 seconds of music before the Work Song. It's to the tune of 'Look Down', just 5 bars of it.

The OLCR had a few bars before the work song also, but it was a funny little arrangement of the high bit at the begginging of 'One Day More'.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Les Miserables#23
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:04pm
I worked at the Queens Theatre on Work Experience last year, and when i was being shown round, I looked at the orchestra set up, and It is largely dominated by synthisised sounds keyboard thingys. Only about 5 "real" instruments.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Les Miserables#24
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:11pm
You got to do work experience there?! Oh my god I'm jealous. I'm doing work experince in an Architect's office in a few weeks. I did a week in a Solicitor's office before Christmas.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller