la cage aux folles

mattie29 Profile Photomattie29 Profile Photo
mattie29
Stand-by
Stand-by
la cage aux folles#1
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:42am
is it just me or do we need a revival of la cage aux folles. that aint been open hear since 1985 when it openend with george hearn and i would like to see a revial any one agree
tpr Profile Phototpr Profile Photo
tpr
Swing
Swing
re: la cage aux folles#2
Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:52pm
Definately, I saw the revival on Broadway in 2004 and loved it, although it didn't last very long so probably not a good omen
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#2
Posted: 1/11/07 at 8:01pm
I loved the Broadway revival even though it was classed as a flop that season

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#3
Posted: 1/12/07 at 10:48am
The Broadway revival ran into some strange problems, including the firing of one of its leading men, Daniel Davis. His replacement, Bob Goulet, did not bring in the crowds and the bad feelings surrounding the whole affair really hurt the show. Like others who have posted on this, I loved the show and could really see it as a success in the West End. With the right cast.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
PaigeByPaige
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: la cage aux folles#4
Posted: 1/12/07 at 11:21am
@mallardo:
Do you know why Daniel Davis was fired from the Broadway production?
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#5
Posted: 1/12/07 at 11:24am
The right cast? You mean u want Gavin Creel to do the show and reprise his role in La Cage after his contract in Mary Poppins in London? Now that's PERFECT casting and I'd DIE to see him do that show again!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
murron Profile Photomurron Profile Photo
murron
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: la cage aux folles#6
Posted: 1/12/07 at 1:12pm
Good idea, ruthiefan_felix, though I think his talent was so underused in this show. I'd prefer seeing him in a big big role, creating a more controversial character! Yay!
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 01:12 PM
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#7
Posted: 1/12/07 at 2:06pm
yeah but still... we dont want him goin back to NYC, we shud do anything to keep him in the West End!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#8
Posted: 1/12/07 at 3:38pm
I saw the Palladium production at least 4 times. Bliss.

Nowadays, I'd like to see a slightly grittier, earthy production. The Venue could be glorious!
murron Profile Photomurron Profile Photo
murron
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: la cage aux folles#9
Posted: 1/12/07 at 4:57pm
You have a point there!
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#10
Posted: 1/13/07 at 10:31am
Paige, the story on Daniel Davis was that he was a nasty character backstage and a disruptive element in the cast. That's the story. But one hears that this may have been the cover for other issues. Gary Beach, his co-star, and apparently the target of his temper, had good things to say about him and claimed to be astonished that he was fired. So, who knows?

Anyone who saw him in La Cage will tell you he was brilliant on-stage, whatever happened in the wings. He was irreplacable, as he proved.
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#11
Posted: 1/13/07 at 11:15am
DD was amazing... so was Gary and Gavin! And Gavin's girlfriend in the show (who later played Cinderella) was... HOT! esp in the end!
PaigeByPaige
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: la cage aux folles#12
Posted: 1/13/07 at 1:06pm
Thank you mallardo for the information. Hm, that's really unpleasant to hear that Davis was such a nasty person backstage, because I loved him as Niles in the sitcom "The Nanny" with Fran Drescher, but that was a character...
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#13
Posted: 1/14/07 at 12:40am
I saw the original production and the recent Broadway revival and believe me the revival had virtually none of the magic of the original. Terrible sets and costumes, and some strange re-writing, - it looked like a on-the-cheap touring production. By all means revive the show but please, please spend some money on it.
bill73
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: la cage aux folles#14
Posted: 1/15/07 at 8:17am
I agree - this is a show that soooo needs to look good!! I'd LOVE to see a revival... re: la cage aux folles
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#15
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:40am
Alterego i have to disagree

Ive seen both the original and revival and i thought the revival worked very well.
The costumes were great and the set was simple and fast moving,i also thought the cst did a great job
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#16
Posted: 1/15/07 at 5:01pm
the costumes for the revival is NOTHING but gorgeous!
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#17
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:15am
Visually the revival (for me) was a major disappoinment. The design colour palette of royal blue, red and beige was heavy and lacked the pink, aqua and pastel shades that made the original look so good.

I disliked some of the rewriting e.g what was Jean Michel doing dancing with Jacob all about? The choreography, particularly in the can-can lacked humour. The whole show was heavy handedly directed - it wasn't fun - the original was.
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#18
Posted: 1/16/07 at 1:30pm
Well, alterego, I never saw the original so I can't compare but to say the revival wasn't fun.... I just can't agree. For me it was a great night at the theatre.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#19
Posted: 1/16/07 at 1:35pm
some of the look of the original one was quite tacky(and not in a good way) and would also be very dated now
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#20
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:42pm
You could "clean" the design up (not so busy) and it would still look better than the revival. The set changes in the original were part of the show - it flowed terrifically.Like all David Mitchell sets. The revival, to me sputtered like a car stalling.
SPRINGEROPERAFAN!!!! Profile PhotoSPRINGEROPERAFAN!!!! Profile Photo
SPRINGEROPERAFAN!!!!
Swing
Swing
re: la cage aux folles#21
Posted: 1/18/07 at 6:53am
Does anyone think that John Barrowman would be perfect in a production of 'La Cage'? His performance of I am what I am is so powerfully brilliant. What does everyone else think?
PaigeByPaige
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: la cage aux folles#22
Posted: 1/18/07 at 7:30am
John is a great performer and I love him but he is too young for the role of Zaza.
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#23
Posted: 1/18/07 at 9:56am
Jerry Mitchell's choreography was AMAZING! And the sets are amazing! The original production's sets and costumes may be gorgreous then but it's (as mentioned above) dated.
I've not seen the original production (only Tony clips), so nothing really to compare but the revival is definitely fun and crazy (the book definitely do not make sense but it's crazy drag queens so who cares?! :P )
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: la cage aux folles#24
Posted: 1/18/07 at 10:15am
(the book definitely do not make sense but it's crazy drag queens so who cares?!)

I must be the only person here who really doesn't care for La Cage, due mostly to the reason above. The show as a whole seemed very dated to me, and the recent Broadway revival just showed up weaknesses in the book IMO. Maybe it just had a lot more to say in the 1980's than it does now...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."