Page: 1

Your high and low points of 2006!

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Your high and low points of 2006!#1
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:48pm
Although I still have Porgy and Bess and Caroline/Change to see, mine would be the following.

HIGHLIGHTS
Avenue Q - The best and most original new musical in a LONG time. I laughed so hard for the whole performance.

Cabaret - A dirty, gritty, dark, classy show. LOVED IT. Never liked the movie but this production changed my mind. Its so different to everything else thats out there. Its such a change from all the other polished shows that have been opening.

Sound of Music - Not a connie fan but she did really impress me. The whole production screams class, very well done.

Whos Afraid Virginia Woolf - For two words - Kathleen Turner - sexy as hell and brilliant actress. It was mesmerising.

Hay Fever - Average play but Judi Dench on stage - enough said!

Wicked - over hyped but still very enjoyable fluff that brings spectacle back to the West End. Perfectly suited to its theatre with a (without expception) talented cast. Just sit back and let the land of oz wash over you.

LOWLIGHTS
Stones in his Pockets - why the fuss, its barely funny

Spamalot one joke over two hours, waste of a theatre and of a talented cast.

Dirty Dancing - Despite a very well done stage design and a breathtaking final 15 mins it was way too long and too expensive.

Evita - Although I enjoyed it something was missing, it never really came alive for me. Give me the film anyday.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#1
Posted: 12/1/06 at 2:06pm
HIGHLIGHTS

CAROLINE OR CHANGE
Quite simply one of the best musicals i've seen for years. Tonya Pinkins is just awesome, and the performance from all the children is breath taking

VIRGINIA WOOF
Turner and Irwin are in a class of their own

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
Bring it back to the west end now!!

LOWLIGHTS

WICKED
Yes it looks great, and yes Idina can sing, but thats about it.

CABARET
An absolute mess, and its even extended its run. Whats all that about?

AVENUE Q
Great concept, but utterly forgetable.
WickedForever2 Profile PhotoWickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#2
Posted: 12/1/06 at 2:12pm
Ok so I live in the US so I'm probably not one to talk, but:

HIGHLIGHTS:
Idina
Idina
Idina
Idina

Yeah, that about covers it!! I fly over to see her in 11 days!!
PaigeByPaige
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#3
Posted: 12/1/06 at 6:50pm
"Ok so I live in the US so I'm probably not one to talk, but:

HIGHLIGHTS:
Idina
Idina
Idina
Idina"

So you haven't seen in London yet and she's already your 'highlight'? Ok... re: Your high and low points of 2006!

HIGHLIGHTS:
"Caroline, Or Change" perfect in every way with an outstanding (hopefully future Olivier winner) Tonya Pinkins.

"Evita" Elena Roger was fantastic and her dancing awesome.

"Avenue Q" : great show, great score, great cast

"Wicked" for one reason: Kerry Ellis

FLOP
Helen Dallimore screaming in WICKED.
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#4
Posted: 12/1/06 at 7:27pm
HIGHLIGHTS

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - One of the best musicals ever. So beautiful and human and the music is just fantastic. Tonya Pinkins' performance one of the best I've ever seen

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE - I have such beautiful memories of seeing this show on two magical summer evenings. One of the best scores and casts ever.

THE LIFE OF GALILEO - Brilliant production, and Simon Russell Beale's performance was just astonishing.

AVENUE Q - The gleeful euphoria I experienced seeing this, once in June and once in July, was magical! What a fab cast.

THE SEAGULL - My favourite Chekhov play, I really liked this pretty radical almost heretical production. Gripping and achingly sad.

FAUST - Oh my god! One of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Just AMAAAAAAAAZING. Absolutely EVERYONE should see this. Just mindblowing, amazing, beautiful, heart-thumpingly terrifying interactive theatre.

BEAUTIFUL THING - A touching, funny play in the lovely Sound Theatre (now closed to be demolished re: Your high and low points of 2006! ) with a fab cast.

What an amazing year of theatre!

LOWLIGHTS

WICKED - Sure, I enjoyed myself, but the hype is just obscenely ridiculous. It's mindless trash, really - there's nothing wrong with it as empty entertainment, but to pretend it is actually a good piece of theatre is fraudulent. Idina is great, but how the hell did Helen Dallimore get that part?

EVITA - A very mediocre production. I forgot it about 10 minutes after I saw it.

WAITING FOR GODOT - Peter Hall's production of this was a real embalming of this unruly play. Depressing.

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#5
Posted: 12/2/06 at 3:10am
Highlight -

Avenue Q. Saw it on the 24th and enjoyed it so much got tickets for the 26th aswell. Planning to go back to London next year to see this specifically.

Just a great show.

Lowlights -
None. I dont get to see as many shows as most people on here (Saying that, ive seen about 7 this year) and ive enjoyed them all.

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#6
Posted: 12/2/06 at 6:29am
Highlights

Kerry ellis in Wicked and Les miS AMAZING!!!

Caroline of Change!! Wow

Ave Q! Unforgettable!

Flops

Daddy Cool - pants
Dirt Dancing- pants lol!!
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#7
Posted: 12/2/06 at 6:39am
HIGHLIGHTS:

Wicked
Evita
Avenue Q
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

LOWLIGHTS:

Beauty and the Beast UK Tour (IT WAS AWFUL)
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#8
Posted: 12/2/06 at 9:32am
Highlights:

Wicked - Idina and Kerry are both fantastic as Elphaba

The Last 5 Years - just because I never though it would be staged here and it was fantastic.

Elena Rodger in Evita

Low Points:

Matt Rawle in Evita (give me Antonio back)

Adam Garcia in Wicked...ugh

'How do you solve a problem like Maria'?....great idea, great winner - bad bad show.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#9
Posted: 12/2/06 at 10:52am
High points - just considering London:
Best theatrical experiences:
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
THE LAST FIVE YEARS
FOLLIES (AT THE LANDOR THEATRE)
Best performances: DANIEL EVANS IN SITPWG
LARA PULVER IN TLFY
KEVIN SPACEY IN A MOON FOR THE MISBEGOTTEN

High points - outside of London
Best theatrical experiences
CARNIVAL AT THE PAPERMILL PLAYHOUSE, NEW JERSEY
TREASURE GIRL AT THE CARDIFF INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF MUSICAL THEATRE
ELEGIES FOR ANGELS, PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS AT THE EDINBURGH FRINGE
Best performances -
CAROLINE O'CONNOR IN THE END OF THE RAINBOW AT THE EDINBURGH FRINGE
CHRISTINE EBERSOLE IN GREY GARDENS AT PLAYWRIGHTS HORIZONS
ELENA SHADDOW IN CARNIVAL

As for low points, I've seen very little in 2006 that was absolutely awful - apart from a dreadful production of ASSASSINS at the Edinburgh Fringe.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
JeaniusIsMe Profile PhotoJeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your high and low points of 2006!#10
Posted: 12/2/06 at 11:26am
Only been here four months, but here's my list:

Highlights:

Sunday in the Park- Amazing cast, amazing design, amazing show.

Caroline or Change: Tonya Pinkins is amazing (and I now officially join those who can't believe that she lost the Tony- having seen both Idina and her, there is no contest, it should have been Tonya) and the show is wonderful.

Les Mis 21st Anniversary Show- getting to see the original cast was a treat.

The Last Five Years- great show and wonderful intimate setting.

Low Points:

Cabaret: Just didn't work for me. I love the show, but I wasn't a fan of this production.

Evita: Never saw the movie and only knew bits of it, but didn't like the show. The cast was good, but I didn't like the material.