Idina sick again....

WickedForever2 Profile PhotoWickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Idina sick again....#1
Posted: 11/22/06 at 2:30am
So apparently Idina is sick again. If anyone hears anything from a reliable source, I would like to know what's going on. I am seeing the show in three weeks, just booked everything today right before I heard this news. I would really like to hear that it's just the cold the cast has been passing (Idina to Helen to Miriam and back to Idina and also Miriam) and that she'll be better in no time. I have some friends seeing the show tomorrow, so I'd like to know if she'll be there. They are flying right now, so they haven't heard the news yet. Thanks Londoners!!
JeaniusIsMe Profile PhotoJeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina sick again....#1
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:18am
my friend saw it last night and said she was on and fabulous, but I'll double check with her.
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#2
Posted: 11/22/06 at 11:55am
Thank you.
JeaniusIsMe Profile PhotoJeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina sick again....#3
Posted: 11/22/06 at 6:50pm
sry this is so late- talked to the friend, she said she didn't notice any indication that it wasn't Idina. Hopefully your friends get to see her!
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#4
Posted: 11/22/06 at 6:58pm
Ooooooooh, good to know!! I am hoping they call soon when they get back from the show tonight to let me know who they saw!! It sounds like it's just the same thing going around again, so hopefully that means she can take a day or two and be back again in top form. Although, part of me wants her to take plenty of time so that she is totally well when I go in three weeks....
Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Idina sick again....#5
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:02pm
Kerry Ellis played Elphaba at both performances today - and I think at yesterday's performance. I've read elsewhere that Idina Menzel has bronchitis and will be out of the show for the rest of the week. Miriam Margolyes was off today and Kerry Washington played Madame Morrible.
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#6
Posted: 11/23/06 at 2:49am
Thanks for the confirmation Christopher. Do you mind keeping me updated? You must live in London since you seem to be very knowledgeable about these things. I too have heard of this bronchitis, but that's what people said last time and she only missed what, 2.5 shows? Although, if she rushed back to quickly, that would explain the additional time off needed. IDINA: take care of yourself so you are better when I go, please and thank you!!

Oh, and one last question if you don't mind: How early do you think I would need to line up for a day ticket on Friday and Saturday? If you have any clue, please let me know!! Thanks so much for all the info.
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Idina sick again....#7
Posted: 11/23/06 at 3:58am
I saw the evening performance on Wednesday - so in that respect could speak from experience! If you have a look at www.wickedtheforum.com and the discussion section of www.whatsonstage.com you'll often pick up information from those (supposedly!) 'in the know'.
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#8
Posted: 11/23/06 at 6:11am
I heard she's just caught what helen had - bad cold. I bet it's Adam passing it around.

I saw the matinee yesterday, Kerry is fabulous. felt sorry for the girl behind me who's flown from the US to see Idina though. She asked about getting day tickets to try and see her on Friday, luckily I wasn't the one who had to tell her Idina was most likely going to be off all week.

The girl I was next to in the queue saw Idina on Monday and said she seemed off from NGD onwards.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina sick again....#9
Posted: 11/23/06 at 8:27am
I have been critised - rightly or wrongly - for beeing really rather snotty about Ms. Menzel.

On this occasion I am going to ask a question!

What is it that makes her this important?

I ask because I have never seen this much interest in someone with a cold! Especially someone who, up until a couple of months back had hardly been heard of in London.

Plenty of American performers have come over and done their piece in the West End, but none have caused this much fuss!
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#10
Posted: 11/23/06 at 12:22pm
Let me start off by saying I love Idina and I am flying over to see HER in Wicked so I am of course, biased. But to start with, she won a Tony for this role. Proof that the "head honchos" think she's something special too. But she's a sensation because she so completely embraces Elphaba. I have heard that she was incredible before, but now that she's revisiting the role, she brings so much more experience and maturity to it. Her acting is spot on, and her voice... amazing. She can belt like no one else I've ever heard. So I guess to sum that all up, she's just practically perfect in every way :)

AND, on another note, I heard she just showed up at the theatre and is going to "try" the show tonight. That's great cuz then my friends could see her, but a small part of me wants her to get plenty of rest this time and not rush back and get sick again so she will be well when I go.
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Idina sick again....#11
Posted: 11/23/06 at 12:29pm
What is it that makes her this important?

I ask because I have never seen this much interest in someone with a cold! Especially someone who, up until a couple of months back had hardly been heard of in London.

well, I can tell you that I think the reason so many people are concerned about her being out it simply that she has a huge fanbase from america, and there are LOTS of people coming all the way from the States just to see her. So thats why thats such a big thing- its not so much the fact that she's sick,its just that people are coming for limited amounts of time from a faraway country and they want to see the person they came for. Haha. If she was doing it in NY again, it would be different and people wouldn't be so worried re: Idina sick again....

But aside from that, the reason she got such a large fanbase in the first place is basically for all the reasons WickedForever2 mentioned. She's just really, really great in this role and people have become attached to her in it!
I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#12
Posted: 11/23/06 at 2:14pm
As much as I adore Idina in the role though...I like Kerry. Very very much. I didn't want to, I wanted to like her but think 'you're not Idina, Idins does that better' but I didn't. Well twice I think, bet never during the songs. It was two little moments that I noticed.

I actually found myself a few times thinking 'oh i prefer it done that way'. Felt slightly guilty for liking some parts better but I did, most of the show I managed not to compare them though. Her having the same accent as the majority of the cast made things click and her NGD is absolutely out of this world. I feel a little sad for her that she's seen as second best, something that I imagine happens to a lot of understudies, when she's so amazing in the role.

With Kerry it's a different take on Elphaba, in-comparitable. But one that didn't seem wrong. One problem I've always had with Wicked is the Fiyero storyline, I could never 'see' why he fell for Elphaba. There wasn't enough build up to it all but the way that Kerry played her...well I could believe Fiyero would fall for her. She plays Elphaba a lot 'harder' and than Idina which makes it seem like Fiyero's liking the fact that she's hasn't fallen at his feet. More of a challenge than it seems with Idina.

Please don't get angry with me for saying this, I still cannot wait to see Idina again. Really cannot wait. While Kerry has bits I like more, there are other parts that Idina's better. Some delivery of lines and riffs in songs. But I'm looking forward to seeing Kerry again next year
Updated On: 11/23/06 at 02:14 PM
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Idina sick again....#13
Posted: 11/23/06 at 3:58pm
^awww dont feel guilty! :)

I'm very similar to that with Eden actually. Although I still DO love idina even more than eden, its by a VERY small margin. And most of the things I prefer idina in are in the second act. I almost really do prefer eden's first act elphie in some ways- and I felt guilty too admiting that at first, but now I've come to the conlusion that I can still prefer eden at points and still love idina every bit as much as I always have :) Mainly, I just love eden's sarcasm in act 1, and I think thats something she does very differently than idina. Eden also may just have a stronger belt than idina- although, I do have to say that as much as I am constantly blown away by eden's voice, I dooo kind of prefer the SOUND of idina's voice in the role :) but thats probably just because Ive gotten so used to it that anything different sounds strange to me. Haha. But seriously, eden does riffs in defying gravity that I actually question whether or not Idina could even do, and thats saying A LOT because I honestly dont believe there's much idina CANT do vocally! haha. But yeah, anyway, I absolutely understand where you're coming from, and there is NOTHING wrong with loving someone else as much, or even more, than idina re: Idina sick again.... And I must say, if the ... you know.. on.. that site thats forbidden... is any indication, Kerry certainly CAN sing her butt off!
I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Idina sick again....#14
Posted: 11/23/06 at 6:07pm
On one level, I hope Idina's in when I go see the show next at the beginning of December. It's my last chance to see her as Elphaba, and I'd like to (respectfully and politely) stagedoor her. But on the other hand, I really want to see Kerry and if she's in when I go back, then I don't have to take in the show AGAIN next spring. :3

But then, I hope Idina's well as soon as possible until the end of her run, because I wouldn't wish ill health on anyone and she is only here for a short time. :3
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#15
Posted: 11/23/06 at 6:16pm
Ok forgive me i saw how long ssome of those posts were and couldnt be bothered to read them all so skipped to the end but if you go here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S79gyV4wXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4eJH35F5eY

someone very nicely recorded Kerrys voice from the show! she sounds absolutly amazing! and from what i can tell she has an english accent im now desporate to see her...sorry if this has already been mentioned or is on another thread.
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Idina sick again....#16
Posted: 11/23/06 at 7:44pm
I've seen Idina Menzel a number of times and Kerry Ellis twice in this role. There is no doubt that Kerry's performance in the 'set piece' numbers - 'The Wizard and I', 'Defying Gravity' and 'No Good Deed' is as electifying as Idina's, if not more so. She has a tonal quality to her voice that is so sweet and a rich effortless vibrato. However, she is no match for Idina Menzel in acting the rest of the role. Kerry needs to command the stage a bit more - be more emphatic. She needs more direction now that she is playing this role for real. OK she 'blows people away' with her vocals - but if she is really going to make her mark as a great Elphaba, the acting needs to shift up to top gear.
wicked_fiyero79 Profile Photowicked_fiyero79 Profile Photo
wicked_fiyero79
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Idina sick again....#17
Posted: 11/23/06 at 9:44pm
Idina has had more than 3yrs to perfect her role as Elpheba so obviously she is going to be alot stronger acting wise. Kerry wont be able to find her feet properly as Elpheb until she takes over from Idina, and can really make the part her own.

It must be daunting for her to have to live up to the hype that surrounds Idina, but I have every confidence that she will be an AMAZING Elpheba and will command the stage like the pro that she is.

Pob Lwc Kerry. You go girl!!! lol
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#18
Posted: 11/24/06 at 1:31pm
Personally I think that considering that Kerry had only done 5 shows when I saw her, I thought her acting was spot on and in some cases better than Idina's. I'm a huge Idina fan, and as I've said before I never, ever thought anyone could live up, yet is some scenes she was better. It may just have been I had day seats so I was closer then normal, but a lot of things clicked more with Kerry.

As I said, she had a different take on the character than Idina. Hence why I really don't think I can compare them...also it's unfair as Idina's had 3 years of experience in the role...Kerry's had about 8 performances.

When she settles into the role I think she's going to be utterly fantastic.
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#19
Posted: 11/24/06 at 2:39pm
Idina to Helen to Miriam and back to Idina and also Miriam

Just FYI, that's impossible unless the virus or bacteria severely mutated within that span of time. One cannot catch the same disease twice.
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#20
Posted: 11/24/06 at 3:18pm
I realize that, but a cold is notorious for mutating very quickly, hence the fact they can't make a vaccination against it. Flus have a tendency to do the same thing, and I mean a real flu of the respiratory variety, not the "stomach flu" (which is not even a flu at all) where a person is barfing. And two weeks is plenty of time for it to spread and mutate amongst people who spend a great deal of time together. On a different note, anyone know anything about tonight? I have heard yes she's on and no she's off from people who up until this point have been reliable... did she manage to clone herself, cuz I want me an Idina clone!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#21
Posted: 11/24/06 at 4:00pm
It's actually quite rare that a large mutation would occur within two weeks. re: Idina sick again.... It's a lot more likely that Idina and Miriam simply acquired another variation of the cold from some other source. Not that any of this truly matters.

Enjoy the show!
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#22
Posted: 11/24/06 at 5:06pm
Apparently she's back on tonight...
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina sick again....#23
Posted: 11/24/06 at 5:15pm
Yes she is, bue her security guard guys (with the bow ties) says she's not actually any better. At this point, I am glad she is on tonight so all the Americans who went for Thanksgiving can see her, but then I want her to rest until the RV performance so she will be 100% for that and for when I go the next week.....
british_buckeye
Swing
Swing
re: Idina sick again....#24
Posted: 11/24/06 at 6:18pm
Saw this in today's Daily Mail on the train:

Something wicked this way coughs

Idina Menzel, who plays Elphaba (the nice 'wicked' witch in the smash-hit musical Wicked at the Apollo Victoria) was off sick last night with throat problems.

Her understudy Kerry Ellis went on for her, just as she did for performances on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Ms. Menzel is a power-house performer with a fantastic voice, but her health hasn't been top notch lately. The week before last, Ms. Menzel started the show, but then became unwell. Ms. Menzel turned up for yesterday's rehersals for the Royal Variety show.

She had wanted to skip them, but was told that if she did, she wouldn't appear on the bill on December 4, so she did the rehersal.

A spokesman for wicked told me that Ms. Menzel has a throat infection. Perhaps she is just missing her husband, Taye Diggs, who is back home in New York.

Get well soon, Ms. Menzel.

I hope she does! I went in November to see her, but saw Kerry Ellis instead. Trying again on Dec. 5!

Page: 1