Page: 1

Wicked struggling?

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked struggling?#1
Posted: 11/16/06 at 1:45pm
Some quite sensible people have been telling me they've heard the show is struggling at the Apollo Victoria.

Anyone got any reliable info?

If this blockbuster falters, it could discourage future transfers of less surefire shows.
WickedForever2 Profile PhotoWickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked struggling?#1
Posted: 11/16/06 at 4:49pm
Seeing as that the only tickets you can currently buy are crappy ones, I have my doubts. Also, last week, the producers announced the show was the highest grossing show in West End history.... not really a sign of struggling.
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked struggling?#2
Posted: 11/16/06 at 11:07pm
It may be struggling to sell out because of its size, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, seeing as how 80% full at that theatre is pretty full.
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
CFK
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Wicked struggling?#3
Posted: 11/16/06 at 11:35pm
If by struggling you mean raking it in...Then yes Wicked is struggling.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked struggling?#4
Posted: 11/17/06 at 8:16am
Lets look at this a different way:

80% is the same level of fullness in any theatre it's a %. thats how they work!

It was have raked it in, but are the NEW advanced bookings still good? Are they great for Easter/Early Summer? or are they spotting a problem.

Wicked was never a surefire hit - not by a long chalk. Lots of Broadway productions recently have died early in the West End.

devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked struggling?#5
Posted: 11/17/06 at 3:01pm
Exactly Deathstar. It seems a little strange that the new booking period hasn't opened yet: is this a strategy to pack existing performances as much as possible, to build a reputation for sell-outs (like Billy Elliot's rep), rather than spreading the advance over 6 months?

The comments I have heard have come from people who may know what the advance sales/ enquiry rate is and don't see it as encouraging.

And as you say, Broadway hits like Fosse (maybe too special interest), City of Angels (a dream of a show) and The Full Monty never connected with an audience.

However, if it's doing fine, then great! I can't think of another show that is ready to fill that venue- and that includes 42nd Street, which I really do not think would last there.
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked struggling?#6
Posted: 11/18/06 at 2:00pm
It is really annoying though!! I am trying to get tickets for christmas to go see it in late jan to march, but they are not on sale!!!
brinkjr0830 Profile Photobrinkjr0830 Profile Photo
brinkjr0830
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked struggling?#7
Posted: 11/21/06 at 1:28pm
no way in hell is wicked struggling in London. I'm from the states and traveled ot London last week to see it. The house was completely packed. Not mention we bought our tickets for tow b in the stalls in May to be able to see it in november..
wicked_fiyero79 Profile Photowicked_fiyero79 Profile Photo
wicked_fiyero79
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Wicked struggling?#8
Posted: 11/21/06 at 3:32pm
I have seen the show twice now and both times were a sell out show, but there is a huge worry that once Idina leaves the ticket sales will go down. As fabulous as Kerry Ellis is, and will be, she doesnt quite bring the publicity that Idina does. They are probably just being over cautious.

I for one cant wait to see Kerry 'Defying Gravity' and have already booked to see her mid Jan.

Tickets for end of Feb onwards go on sale as of the 3rd of Dec.
K2503 Profile PhotoK2503 Profile Photo
K2503
Understudy
Understudy
re: Wicked struggling?#9
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:39am
Not sure if relevent to the thread, but I have noticed that there seems to be a much bigger publicity drive for Wicked at the moment - especially many more posters at Bus Stops and on Buses - but I guess this is normal once the euphoria of an opening period is over?

I can not see it closing THAT soon. It is a fun show and I look forward to seeing it again!
Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked struggling?#10
Posted: 11/22/06 at 11:01am
They seem to have deliberately kept the release of tickets for dates after 24 February '07 back. Ticketmaster shows that next period as open for sale on 3 December. Presumably they want to create a second 'rush' for New Year tickets and keep interest up.
*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo
*MuSiCaLs_FaN*
Understudy
Understudy
re: Wicked struggling?#11
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:07pm
To be perfectly honest I don't think Idina is as big a pull as everyone thinks - except for tourists and those in the musical theatre world - she is not known here in the UK. I book tickets for the show and I have never been asked about Idina and the majority of the time I have had to explain the show to customers as it's a lot of families who want to take their kids or think the show looks interesting - I'm not saying she doesn't have a big fan base as you can tell that by the applause she gets every night, but I don't think the show will not sell just because she is not in it anymore!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked struggling?#12
Posted: 11/23/06 at 3:53pm
I quite agree M-Fan. Idina has nowhere near the profile of Micael Crawford or Elaine Paige, say. I'm not sure even Michael Ball is that well-known with the general public. The only celebrity in the West End right now is probably Connie!

With Wicked, it's the title and the concept.

PS I didn't start the thread to criticize- but there are a surprising number of stories going round that the show is not doing well (which I find hard to believe), hence my question.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked struggling?#13
Posted: 11/23/06 at 6:09pm
I'm sure Patrick Swayze would be heartbroken to hear that, Devonian. re: Wicked struggling?
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked struggling?#14
Posted: 11/24/06 at 2:47pm
I either forgot or just blocked him out, I guess!
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked struggling?#15
Posted: 11/24/06 at 11:50pm
Also, correct me if I'm wrong. But i recall reading somewhere that the whole story of the Wizard of Oz was an american story that didn't catch on that well across the pond. However, I could be wrong. Going by this idea then a show based on a story that is really American then it would make sense as to why its not doing so well. I know it is doing well on Broadway because the story of the wizard of oz is a classic state side. I don't know of anyone who hasn't at least seen the movie.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked struggling?#16
Posted: 11/26/06 at 12:25pm
Winston, I think you could be right. I went on a guided tour of the Tower of London, and Yeoman Warder giving us the tour was talking about the animals kept in the Tower for a while and said, "There were even lions and tigers and bears!" and when a few of the crowd said, "Oh, my!", he looked out at us and said, "I guess we know who the Americans are, then!"

A bit off-topic, maybe, but I thought I'd share with you.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked struggling?#17
Posted: 11/29/06 at 2:32pm
Well it's extended to June 06 - can't be doing too badly I guess.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked struggling?#18
Posted: 11/30/06 at 4:06am
The Tower of London story is quite true - they did keep those animals there. They also kept a lot more.
97jrobbins Profile Photo97jrobbins Profile Photo
97jrobbins
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked struggling?#19
Posted: 12/1/06 at 3:00am
The fact that they r not opening up the next booking period yet COULD be a tactic to stop ticket touts buying up all the tickets early and selling them at twice the price; ticket touts are a very big problem in the west end at the moment, and i believe that theaterland are particularly keen to 'lessen' the problem.

Page: 1