Page: 1

Porgy and Bess/Dirty Dancing/Evita

Sammy2 Profile PhotoSammy2 Profile Photo
Sammy2
Swing
Swing
Porgy and Bess/Dirty Dancing/Evita#1
Posted: 11/12/06 at 8:10pm
I spent the weekend in London and saw Porgy, Dirty Dancing and Evita. Porgy and Bess was by far the best of the three. In fact, it was the best musical I have seen in a long, long time. The quality of the music (both the composition and the performances) in that show is AMAZING. So many shows are remakes of popular movies designed to lure in tourists. Porgy and Bess -- in my view -- is musical theater at its best, and I hope that it reaches a wide audience. There's not been much mentioned about Porgy and Bess on this site (except for me asking whether anyone had seen it) - I strongly encourage everyone to check it out. I'll be curious to hear what you think.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Porgy and Bess/Dirty Dancing/Evita#1
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:36am
I only saw Evita which I thought was bad. I really wanna watch Porgy & Bess! Looks REALLY gd, anyone saw this AND Caroline or Change, cuz like all the critics compare the two! And I LOVED C/C!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Porgy and Bess/Dirty Dancing/Evita#2
Posted: 11/13/06 at 12:44pm
Wow i thought Porgy was going to be a flop, but there you go, i bet it was the magical works of Trevor Nunn that made it soo amazin!!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Porgy and Bess/Dirty Dancing/Evita#3
Posted: 11/14/06 at 8:16am
Absolutly - he sure whipped those two hacks George and Ira Gershwin into shape!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."