Page: 1

Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions

Allentown2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#1
Posted: 11/6/06 at 3:49pm
I was on thisistheatre.com and looked for suhnset Boulevard at the Adelphi. I found that there was two versions. Is this true?
List Of Adelphi Shows
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#1
Posted: 11/6/06 at 5:42pm
It closed briefly to reflect changes to the american version.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#2
Posted: 11/8/06 at 5:23am
Thats right.

When it changed they removed much of the colour from the London production (which had been very sunset orange for the first production) and went very grey and tonal. Also they re-cast whcih ended Patti Lupones UK career. They also changed alot of the orchestration on the basis that the Americans prefered the brass section to the percussion!

Sadly though we never got Glenn Close as Norma. We had to put up with Elaine Page (too short to be seen over the bannister when she came down the stairs - and she played it like a cartoon - but it was very very funny!) or we got Petula Clarke (Jesus Christ!)

But Betty Buckley was a triumph in it with John Barrowman when the second version opened. I also liked Patti Lupone who I thought should have stayed in the role.
Chris T
Understudy
Understudy
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#3
Posted: 11/10/06 at 1:30pm
A tad unfair to comment that the cast change in Sunset ended Patti LuPone's London career. Although she had a wobble when it was announced she wasn't going to Broadway she only missed a couple of days, then returned to finish her stint in London. She left the show when her contract ran out, returning to London a few years later for a limited season as Maria Callis in Masterclass, and then a couple of years later she performed her Matters of the Heart concert for 2 weeks as part of a Divas at the Donmar season.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#4
Posted: 11/10/06 at 3:32pm
Fair comment Chris T... It was a bit harsh, maybe. But I do feel that she never quite achived the success she should have - biut, then that could be wrong, or right for a large number of other reasons.

I also felt at the time that the way it came across looked a bit harsh to Patti - certainly in terms of the media.

I thought she was teriffic as Norma and a loss to the production - even though I have to say that Betty Buckley was superb when it re-opened.

Theatrical Landladies Profile PhotoTheatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#5
Posted: 11/18/06 at 4:13am
Deathstar.... I agree that PATTI was great as Norma but she was too good looking throughout to convince us that her relationship with JOE was grotesque. I think she should have been given the chance to work in the updated production which IMO was an improvement and then she might have got to Broadway.

I managed to see PATTI, BETTY and PET in London and GLENN and ELAINE in NYC. GLENN was definitely my favourite!
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#6
Posted: 11/18/06 at 6:12am
I don't think Patti would have gotten to Broadway even if she had been given the chance to re-work her performance with the re-worked show. The response to G.Close in L.A. was so positive that after that Patti was 'doomed' - no matter what. Had she (Patti) gotten the part in the L.A. production... then she might have gotten the part on Broadway. But that's all just speculation.

As for the 2 versions of SUNSET, you can hear most of the changes very well by listening the two major recordings of the show: The World Premiere Recording (OLC with Patti) and the American Premiere Recording (L.A. cast with Glenn). I like the changes they made, the second version is much better.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#7
Posted: 11/20/06 at 7:05am
I agree - the second version has more high-drama and passion. Though I thought the US Joe on the recording was very bad indeed. G.Close was excellent.

The 1st UK recording has something quite nice about it - a certain hollow sadness, which really reflects Norma at that time.

Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#8
Posted: 11/20/06 at 10:56am
Even though I like the US recording more, I think the tempos are better in the UK recording. Especially on "With One Look" which is WAY TOO FAST on the US cd. It is more dramatic acting- and lyric-wise, maybe, but the fantastic melody loses a lot with the faster tempo. And, of course, the UK version has the song in the original key.
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#9
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:13am
Yes, the "World Premiere Recording" also has Joe being shot with what sounds like a stapler hehe

DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sunset Boulevard-2 Versions#10
Posted: 11/22/06 at 7:16am
Thats right it does!

I always imagined that Norma was slapping him round the face with her handbag when the "gunshots" went off.