Page: 1

Out of print cast recording - Any ideas?

camp_actor
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Out of print cast recording - Any ideas?#0
Posted: 10/30/06 at 7:21am
La Cava, a show that premiered in London in 2000 and then promptly disappeared from the face of the planet...

Anyone know where I could get my hands on a copy of the (very) out-of-print cast recording?

La>http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001S3V6G?tag=theatreguidel-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0001S3V6G&adid=0GGEMTKRRPK72RWETPFE&">La Cava (Amazon)

I've heard a few snippets of the music and it sounds really interesting.

Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved La Cava!! No-one else did though. Eventhe composer doesn't mention it in his programme bio... re: Out of print cast recording - Any ideas?

Anyway, not much help I'm afraid - it does come up on Ebay every so often. You could also try e-mailing Dress Circle as it was released on their record label.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

camp_actor
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I read a fantastic review of it (granted, not a very reliable source.) Reviewhttp://www.theatreguidelondon.co.uk/reviews/lacava.htm">Review

I'll look out for it. How long was it open for?
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It opened at the Victoria Palace on 22nd May 2000, transfered to the Piccadilly in July/August, then closed on 3rd February 2001.
It had a tuneful score in the pop-opera style, and was actually much funnier than similar shows around at the time (Naploeon, Lautrec etc). Oliver Tobias couldn't sing to save his life, but it was more than compensated for by the supurb Marylin Cutts as his scorned wife and Julie Alanah-Brighten disrobing at the end of act one (with her back to the audience).

There's more info and reivews at the link below:
La Cava at Albemarle

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Out of print cast recording - Any ideas?#5
Posted: 10/30/06 at 10:06am
It was written by Dana Broccoli, so had some fairly serious money (from the 007 films) underpinning it. I believe that they 'forced' Spend Spend Spend out of the Picadilly by guarenteeing the theatre owners 6 months rent. Once they'd struck that deal, they had to stick to it - even though there could only have been about 100-200 people in the audience when I saw it! It was an excellent production though - great direction, sets, lights etc, even though it suffered from an excess of melodrama as these shows so often do... re: Out of print cast recording - Any ideas?