Page: 1

Does Elphie Defy on saturday matinees?

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Does Elphie Defy on saturday matinees?#0
Posted: 10/29/06 at 12:41pm
I was told that she doesnt? Anyone kno why or is this a load of rubbish and also apparantley you can see backstage crew lifting the black cloth whilst she is in the air??!!
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Does Elphie Defy on saturday matinees?#1
Posted: 10/29/06 at 1:42pm
Thats rubbish i went a couple of weeks ago on a Sat mat and everything was as it should be, and i couldnt see any stage crew either! so if your plans are for a mat, go!
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Does Elphie Defy on saturday matinees?#2
Posted: 10/30/06 at 4:53am
I believe there was one matinee where the system broke so she couldnt fly, but thats all. I saw it on 7 Oct matinee and everything was as it should be.
camp_actor
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Does Elphie Defy on saturday matinees?#3
Posted: 10/30/06 at 7:24am
I saw the first saturday matinee, and she didn't. But she did TRY to, so it was just a matter of timing. Basically if she can't get into the mechanism in the 3 seconds she has then she doesn't go up.

She still belts the hell out of the song, though.

(It was quite funny to watch her run to the front of the stage and all the guards just fall over at her feet. Yeh, Idina, you're really flying - get you!)
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, she does. It's a part of the show. EVERY show. Unless something goes wrong.

If the safety latch/bar isn't correctly and securely closed when Elphaba steps on the "flying machine" the computer controlling it won't allow it to rise up. It isn't really a matter of timing.

TWSFan4Ever Profile PhotoTWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yeah, Stephanie J. Block did a news interview back when she was in WICKED, and she showed how it's done. the actress playing Elphaba steps into a round thing and when she securely hit the back, the round bars close, that have a black curtain-like material on it, looking like her dress. then, they rise up her up:)