Page: 1

Who would have thought Dirty Dancing's reviews would have been Negative

west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well its just a shock(sarcastic)

The Could it be a musical,is it a play production that is Dirty Dancing has opened to not great reviews.So far ive heard the words Dull,Clone of the film,Bad acting,clone of the film,poor,clone of the film etc.
Some reviews to be fair said it would appeal to new theatre goers but im kinda guessing that aint a compliment.

So the show will prob stay a year at least(thanks to its stupid massive Box Office) but do you think the reviews will stop people buying tickets at the rate they were now.

xx
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
not suprised at all it got bad reviews. London critics are generally still stuck in a traditional mind. New shows seem to not please them, bar spamalot. Stupid critics. I reckon your right. Over a year then maybe another 6-12 months?
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Was anyone expecting it to get rave reviews. At the end of the day this is not a show i will be dragging myself off to see, but each to their own. I suppose audiences who relished in such shows like Fame, or Footloose will love it.
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I didn't expect DD to get rave reviews, but then most reviews for Wicked were just average or even less.
Most people I know who are going to see (or went) Dirty Dancing expect(ed) to see the film onstage - and that is exactly what they will get/got.
As said previously, there is a reason why DD is not just another musical, but if some people just cannot accept the show for what it is so what - it is pure entertainment with little pretension, and I enjoyed the show when seeing it in Hamburg. Anyone expecting a musical should read any advertising or reviews from the other productions properly - own stupidity!
How long will it last? I give it two years, maybe a bit more, there is an audience for it definitely, it will bring people into a theatre who normally will not go to a show, and actually you never know, there are some other shows which have run for years now though the critics hated them (e.g. WWRY).
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I never expected raves, in fact i would have been shocked if it had. I disagee with WEA1, this show will be around for years and years. Its critic proof. It will sell out I reckon for a good couple years before it needs to discount. Its a goldmine.

Seeign it on 18th and looking forward to it. If WEA1 hates it ill prob enjoy it! lol
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yay! Hopefully it will be a flop! Stop filling the theatre with rubbish shows and bring DRS and Hairspary over!
RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The reviews actually were not that bad if you look at the majority.

They all agreed that it has found its market successfuly and "does what it says on the tin"

The show will be around for years to come...3/4 at least...it joins Billy Elliot, Mamma Mia, Wicked, Spamalot, Mary Poppins, Lion King, Phantom as the sought after tickets and ones that will be around for years yet to come