Page: 1

Wicked Opening Night....just got home

Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wicked Opening Night....just got home#0
Posted: 9/27/06 at 7:19pm
ok...so since the first preview which i saw:
Adam Garcia has become less camp, more controlled, but still cant act...but is trying alot harder lol

Idina was straining a bit in 'wizard and I', but after that led a stunning performance....a strong good idina night i felt.

Helen has improved by leaps and bounds! shes really taken herself into teh character and not been led too far away by her english tone, she has really really improved and i think can only get better.....really happy with her, she had me laughing lots...which is a big improvement from the 7th lol.

The sound was sorted out much more...and all the set and lighting was spot on.

Im really happy 'for good' sounded like a duet tonight instead of two solos like previously...they have both connected with their pronounciation and the two different accents no longer hold a problem in this song.

Adam garcia managed to say 'come' at the end and actually say it meaningfully...instead of sounding like he was talking to a dog....that made me happier lol.

Miriam (morrible) was trying to hard to make the 'do something for him and he'll do something for you' sexual subtext work this time....on the first preview...she said it and the audience sort of chose to concieve her delivery of that line in that way....but now i think she knows it gets a laugh...she was squeezing the udder too tight lol.

It was relaly strong though.....i cant say it was amazing because im too familiar with it and it was everything i expected....but that is definately a good thing, and i feel like it is purely 'right'.
:)
go see!
xxxx
showbizkid2
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#1
Posted: 9/28/06 at 5:20am
So.. I saw the opening night last night. I had seen the show twice on Broadway and it WAS one of my favourite shows i'd ever seen...

GLINDA is meant to be the legally blonde, hysterical, clueless LA cheerleading girl who brings the house down with joke after joke.. Maybe not Helen Dallimore's fault but the estranged cold ENGLISH Glinda does NOT WORK.

The stacatto accent in "What Is This Feeling" spoils the sonf totally - instead of "wha iz this feelin" last night we had a clipped english terrible version!!

Idina and the Wizard (Nigel and Idina are both simply excellent) well, they are american. Nessa - her sister is English, Boq scotish - PRODUCERS WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!??!!!

I was so upset they had RUINED the storyline, plot, songs - all because they touched something that they SHOULDNT HAVE..

Sorry to say also that Adam Garcia was also miss cast. Was it just me but he just appears wooden and his posh twit version of Fieryo again DOESNT WORK. He's meant to be the AMERICAN preppy hunky prince. character..

"Popular" got only ten per cent of the laughs it got on broadway. I remember screaming with hysterics when I saw it in the US...

It was my favourite show ever. I was so upset watching it last night - I want to write to the producers!!

To be nice and fair though.. The chorus are HOT, the set and standard of the show is GREAT. The "EMERALD CITY" scene was AMAZING.. They ultilise the green auditorium lights to the most stunning effect. The entire building is transformed into a green metropolis - it took MY BREATH away. WELL DONE..

Madam Moribble. You didnt sing an actual WORD, but your character was fabulous, Katie, Martin and James playing Boq, Goat and Nesse were also wonderful.

Maybe not their fault but Helen and Adam were just not suitable with these new accents and may I even say "characterisations". It changed the style, story, love and warmth the audience had for them. When Glinda suggest to the Wizard that they frame and catch Elepha by using Nessa - you actually HATE HER FOR IT.

As one critic said to me last night at the FABULOUS after show party at the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand. "With all these AWFUL ENGLISH accents around it was like HARRY POTTER IN HOGWARTS!!"

WICKED WAS my favourite show EVER.. Why why why producers did you touch it. Imagine Hairspray set in Birmingham - DOESNT WORK. The Americanism of the show is what makes it work! Dancing through life!! not DARNCING through life!! UGH!.........

Change WICK to RUIN and you sadly get

RUIN ED.................
Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#2
Posted: 9/28/06 at 8:53am
Errr sorry - but this is a production primarily for a British audience.

Its bound to be different from the US productions. Is Oz America then?
NewMusical Profile PhotoNewMusical Profile Photo
NewMusical
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#3
Posted: 9/28/06 at 8:56am
Also went last night, it was a great production, and I really did enjoy myself. Im in the middle between you both, I feel that the English ways do kind of work, and I thought James Gillan was suberp, Margoles was stunning, hilarious and what amazing costumes. I was quite surprised I liked Adam Garcia so much considering I havent liked his other work, but he really shouldnt have been put in those trousers. Ouch! Katie was lovely, well-paced and honest. Idina was wooow - out of this world. Her body ooosed her performance which is my main problem with English performers in general. Helen was a little too flat for me at the beinning, but she soon rescued it.

The party was lovely, and what a great venue. But yes, a little too Harry Potter.

I did question how successful this will be in London BUT as a critic said to me last night 'how can you stop a runaway train? It just won't slow down'. I think it'll be here for at least two cast changes.. but after that the coal will run out.

I don't think this is his best musical, how can you beat 'Pippin' with Morning Glow...
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#4
Posted: 9/28/06 at 10:30am
Im sorry if this sounds awfull but are people stupid?

The show is set in oz not americal ,so if someone has a british ,scotish,australian accent what the hell does it matter.

The show has had a bigger applause here so the not laughing thing is rubbish.Popular ISSNT that funny(kristen made it funny and im sure helen is putting her own stamp on it)

If i hear about the accents one more time im gonna scream
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#5
Posted: 9/28/06 at 3:59pm
ergh the accents thing is a load of rubbish really...

its just like 'into the woods'...for the english cast they sing with a british accent.

I even prefered Boq with a scottish accent.
Fieyro not working was not the accent it was Adam....he just looks and sounds like a pansy :s.
Compared to the first preview Helen has made this accent work alot better and Im sorry but who can be more stuck up and whiney than the english?, and thats not a cuss because i am english...but c'mon, you are used to ur america spoilt brats and we are used to our english spoilt brats, and the majority of the audience will eventually be british.
she can do it and has done it....maybe she isnt the comedian that kristin and others have been but she still made it her own, and she got laughs.x
NewMusical
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#6
Posted: 9/28/06 at 4:29pm
Still as passionate as ever Josh? lol
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#7
Posted: 9/28/06 at 4:54pm
The accents really aren't a problem, I love Scottish Boq! Plus once Kerry's in there will be no non british accents apart from The Wizard. Well he's from Kansas anyway so never mind...

Oz isn't the US, and I like our 'Public School, Daddy's little princess' Glinda. Yes, if you've heard the OBCR it's a bit difficult to get used to, especially Glinda, but you get used to it.

The show's in Britain and the cast will eventually be mostly British. Why make them do bad US accents? Yes Helen and Adam have changed their's but (eventually) having a unified accent (minus The Wizard) will be better.
Song & Dance
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#8
Posted: 9/28/06 at 5:13pm
it was great fun

i saw the a preveiw on the 8th and the whole thing had improved a 100% everyone seemed so much more at ease int their roles

Idina was superb and Helen has made Glinda her own,Popular was brilliant i prefer the english version now. Miriam and Nigel were great. Adam was a better but im still not convinced he was the right choice.

The rest of the company are just superb. One Short Day, Dancing thru Life and Whichhunters they do brilliantly as a team

By the way whens Idinas last show as i want to be there
NewMusical
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#9
Posted: 9/28/06 at 5:38pm
well im not sure, but it says in programme that Kerry Ellis takes over in January. So, it sounds like the last weeks of December are likely. Can't wait to see Kerry - i've been told that during rehearsals when Idina wasn't there that she was AMAZING!! lets wait and see...
actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#10
Posted: 9/28/06 at 10:54pm
What's wrong with the accents? Would it matter if someone has a different accent? I think it makes it interesting.

http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/castcreative.php

^^At that link, if you scroll down to Kerry Ellis, it explains that she will take over in Jan '07.

Updated On: 9/30/06 at 10:54 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#11
Posted: 9/29/06 at 2:50am
It is AMAZINGLY picky to complain about the accents, I must say. Elphaba is GREEN. Animals can TALK. People do MAGIC in this show. And we can't suspend our disbelief just enough to ignore the actors' accents? Very sad.
actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#12
Posted: 9/30/06 at 7:42pm
haha, so true
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#13
Posted: 10/1/06 at 4:40am
I think this has been announced but I could be wrong - I was led to believe that Idina's last night was December 30th?

Claire x
NewMusical
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#14
Posted: 10/1/06 at 6:11am
Thats what I've been told as well.
ullabelt
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#15
Posted: 10/1/06 at 8:51am
I agree Oz isnt america. However the show is written with an american rythm for an American Accent. Thtas why Into The Woods bombed. You lose the humour with a british ACCENT. gLINDA ISNT HALF AS PERKY OR ANNOYING. i DO LIKE THE IDEA THO AND i THINK THE British accent works fine in some places but it really does lose alot...sorry lets get off or yey for the Brits band wagon. PLus it doesnt help that Helen D is a pretty bad singer
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile PhotoCaroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#16
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:19pm
I haven't read this thread yet but, Jwaa is hot.

nuff said.
"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed
honeyfitz2
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#17
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:34pm
Well, way to offend a load of people!

Accents? What's the big deal? Or should people all go around speaking with an American accent?

I've really heard never such a load of offensive tosh in my entire life. Oh is 'tosh' too English?
meivocis
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#18
Posted: 10/1/06 at 1:06pm
*points to above post*

Yeah, what she said. Plus showbizkid2 Nigel is very much from the island of Britain.

I had no desire to see the show, at all, but a friend bought me a ticket for last nights performance and I have to say I couldn't have LOVED it more... so much so we came home and booked tickets for another show at the end of October.
honeyfitz2
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#19
Posted: 10/1/06 at 1:21pm
I forgot to mention that Adam Garcia was very disappointing compared to the quality of the other performers. I know he's a pro too, and done this stuff for years, but he missed a couple of lines which Idina covered for him, missed a note or two, and was generally lacklustre.
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#20
Posted: 10/3/06 at 9:20am
I personally think if it wasn't for the fact Adam was acting and singing next to Idina and Helen he'd seem ok...just a shame for him he's next to these two.

Also, he's plays the part differently to the US Fiyeros...from what I can tell. To give him his dues his dancing's very good, and IMHO he's the best looking Fiyero so far. Not normally a deciding factor for me but Fiyero's meant to be very good looking.
musicalboy1 Profile Photomusicalboy1 Profile Photo
musicalboy1
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#21
Posted: 10/5/06 at 8:57am
Saw Wicked on Tues and loved it. I was on the bus yesterday telling my friend on the phone how much i loved it, and the fact i now had a Wicked keyring (quite loud) and Adam Garcia was sat in the next seat. He must live in Muswell Hill as was on the 102 going to the tube.
Needless to say it was very embarassing. He smiled at me as he got off, i went red.

He is Fit!
WhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile PhotoWhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile Photo
WhoPaintedTheKitten?
Understudy
Understudy
re: Wicked Opening Night....just got home#22
Posted: 10/5/06 at 11:02am
You saw him on the bus? Wow, thats pretty cool!
"...if you rearrange the letters in the word unemployed, it spells OPPORTUNITY!" - Gary Coleman, Ave. Q