Page: 1

Mary Poppins The Musical...Your comments!

zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Mary Poppins The Musical...Your comments!#0
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:21am
Hello everyone!!

Would love to her from all of you...your comments on this FANTASTIC musical!

Thanks Danny
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I liked the fact that the show is much darker than the movie, and isn't a direct stage adaptation of the film.

The sets and costumes were fab, not to mention the special effects.

But the show has its flaws. Some of the musical numbers of the film - the best one, "Feed The Birds", especially! - I found totally ruined by the new orchestration or extensions. "FTB" should have been kept as it was in the film, Mary's solo number. It was the most touching moment of the film, and I think it would have worked a lot better as a solo number instead of a horrible duet. And the song "Anything Can Happen" just didn't seem to have anything at all to do with the show, except being a big production number to get some extra cheers and applauds from the audience. The new songs seem a bit 'blah' compared to the songs from the film - except "Being Mrs Banks", a wonderful number. And there were some points in characters and scenes I think should have been paid more attention to.

While I think there are a lot better shows in the West End at the moment (PHANTOM, CHICAGO, AVENUE Q, EVITA), there are also shows that are, by far, a whole lot worse than MARY POPPINS - shows like MAMMA MIA! and THE PRODUCERS.
Updated On: 7/30/06 at 03:10 PM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Thanks!
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
Jenny3 Profile PhotoJenny3 Profile Photo
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
Oh my word, don't get me started on this, i'll be gushing for ages!
Well, spectacular, phenomenal, magical etc etc i think sums up Mary Poppins in it's current state. The sets are stunning - i like the variation between the simple sets as used in Let's Go Fly A Kite, to the more complex ones like the Banks' household. The music was absolutely gorgeous and i personally loved the vast majority of the new compositions particularly 'Practically Perfect', 'Being Mrs Banks' and 'Anything Can Happen' (the latter being a very valid addition in my opinion).
I could talk forever about the amazing Scarlett Strallen - the way she has embraced her role and has adapted it to her strengths is staggering. Every facial expression, every stance, every movement cast an exact replica of Mary Poppins, particularly of the character direct from P.L Travers' book. She is an absolute star and if she does not win the Olivier, it would be a tradegy because she really really deserves it as she's immensely talented. She had such chemistry with Gavin Lee when i saw it aswell and i loved him as Bert.
As a whole though, i liked the way that Disney and Cameron Mackintosh have taken the story marginally adrift from it's Disney heritage, i think it has worked in their favour particularly the added element of darkness in the show. I absolutely loved it and for me personally, it's the best thing that i have seen in London for a long time.
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i appreciate that its more true to PL Travers' vision than the film version.
(i feel like ive posted that sentence many times already)
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE