Page: 1

tarzan transfer?

Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Understudy
Understudy
tarzan transfer?#0
Posted: 7/28/06 at 7:43pm
i was wondering if there had been any mention of tarzan making its way across the pond to the west end? would love to see that one, despite the mixed reviews.
mikeyb16 Profile Photomikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tarzan transfer?#1
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:15pm
they might do, they have done so with Beauty and Lion King. So i'd probably give it maybe a year or 2 before Disney thinks or opening Tarzan somewhere else. Theyre currently sorting out the Production to open in Netherlands so you may never know, london might be the next target
RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: tarzan transfer?#2
Posted: 7/31/06 at 8:07am
Latest is that West End is a target for 2008; possibly to replace The Lion King at The Lyceum.

However; broadway hasnt taken to the show aswell as hoped and it heavily depends on if its successful at it European debut and contination in NYC.

Another option is that The Little Mermaid will open in London direct.
Elphaba3
Understudy
Understudy
re: tarzan transfer?#3
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:37am
i would LOVE to see little mermaid, i think i would sacrifice a tarzan transfer to see that one in the west end. re: tarzan transfer?
Jenny3 Profile PhotoJenny3 Profile Photo
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: tarzan transfer?#4
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:51am
I'd love to see both but i think Little Mermaid would top my list for sure. They would have to make sure that they do it correctly though, because it does have potential disaster written all over it. Mind you, if they have got Disney's backing then they are not going to do it half-heartedly, they will go all out for the full works. Please please please say that will open over here!!
mikeyb16 Profile Photomikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tarzan transfer?#5
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:48pm
i agree too, Mermaid would be a huge hit in london
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: tarzan transfer?#6
Posted: 7/31/06 at 2:18pm
Yeah, Little Mermaid would be cool. Ive said it before but there could be a problem that she cant walk for the first half and not talk the second half.
*ASH*
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: tarzan transfer?#7
Posted: 8/1/06 at 10:32am
They can't replace The Lion King! I'd prefer to see Tarzan myself than The Little Mermaid...
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tarzan transfer?#8
Posted: 8/1/06 at 7:15pm
Ive seen this show and its a mess,weak score,naff choreography and its very slow.I hope this doesnt come here

sorry
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: tarzan transfer?#9
Posted: 8/2/06 at 4:07am
Disney knows they have a turkey on their hands. Also, Tarzan is FAR more known and well thought-of (the original story) in the US, its not really a British thing at all.

Theres no chance of Tarzan coming over here.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tarzan transfer?#10
Posted: 8/2/06 at 10:48am
I have to agree with LAC

This show has been a huge let down for disney and whilst its still pulling in strong audiences i doubt that will last.
Tarzan is living off the tourists at the moment but when the next BIG thing opens people will forget about tarzan and it will close.
Tarzan will prob be one of them shows that tours the states for the next 10 years.
Ive never been a huge fan of disney musicals(though i did like lion king)but ive always found something in them to enjoy but not with tarzan.

And as for Tarzan replacing lion king over here,dont make me laugh Lion King is one of a handfull of shows that is still making money in london.

Also the little mermaid is set to open in Broadway first and they haven,t even spoke about it coming here.
RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: tarzan transfer?#11
Posted: 8/2/06 at 11:10am
I have always thought as "disney musicals" as spectaculars or events, not musicals as such. Mary Poppins did break that mould though as its based on the book and film and seems more theatrical to the way its staged. The Lion King, Tarzan and Beauty and the Beast just seem more fantasy and not really quite theatre as such. I think its case of too many cooks spoil the broth - i think Broadway will find this out soon - 4 Disney shows will kill one of them, especialy with more on the way!
Elphaba3
Understudy
Understudy
re: tarzan transfer?#12
Posted: 8/2/06 at 11:30am
i think disney should be highly respected as a contributor to the world of musical theatre! afterall, the lion king revived the seemingly dead world of broadway theatre when it opened at the new amsterdam. i do agree, to an extent, with both of you and both your points are very valuable but i am a big disney fan and think their musicals are ace! i definatley think mary p should be recognised as a piece of musical theatre in itself as it is very different to the film, but lion king should also be recognised! although the book stays faithful to the film the sheer inventive colaboration ( the genius that is julie taymor)involved in the lion king should be widley celebrated, in my own personal opinion. some of the additional music to the score, such as 'lioness hunt', 'endless night', and 'shadowland' are amazing musical theatre songs/pieces of a theatrical score.
Understudy
Understudy
re: tarzan transfer?#13
Posted: 8/2/06 at 11:45am
I totally agree with you about Disney musicals! Recall seeing a documentary and if I remember it said Disney saved Broadway. They are all good in there own way but can also agree with that they need to slow down producing the them as they will eventually knock one of them off. I would like to see Tarzan as I would like to see it for my self and compare reviews.
Jenny3 Profile PhotoJenny3 Profile Photo
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: tarzan transfer?#14
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:19pm
Well done Elphaba3, well said! I completely and utterly agree wih you 100% on that. Disney musicals are amazing and whether Tarzan is going to break the mould i dont know, but i highly doubt that Disney would settle for much less than fantastic.
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tarzan transfer?#15
Posted: 8/2/06 at 2:37pm
hi guys i am new here so please bear with me,lol
i have seen beauty and the beast twice and i have loved it and mary poppins was outstanding! I am lookin forward to see Tarzan because it looks really abstract and different, has anyone seen it? Is it any good??
LondonTheatreUK Profile PhotoLondonTheatreUK Profile Photo
LondonTheatreUK
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: tarzan transfer?#16
Posted: 8/2/06 at 3:01pm
"Tarzan is living off the tourists at the moment"

Er, Broadway and the West End lives off tourists.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tarzan transfer?#17
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:45pm
first of all london theatre uk i think if you check your facts you will see that in a recent survey tourists make up less than 20 percent of uk theatre box office gross.

Tarzan on broadway is full of tourists(when i was there it was hard to spot an american)and what that means is unlike shows like Hairspray ,Rent or even the Wedding Singer they arent able to come back time and time again which keeps a lot of broadway shows running.

I have nothing against disney musicals,like i say i loved the lion king and yes the lion king did help broadway(saved it is a bit strong)but im not a huge fan but will always be honest about shows and not just say i dont like them because i wassnt a fan of there other shows.
To me Tarzan was a mistake(im guessing many people on this thread HAVE NOT seen it)the show had lost the sparkle of disney.The opening was breathtaking with people flying through the air from vine to vine but after 15 mins it felt like that was all it had to offer(people were describing the show on the interval as ok).The second act picked up a little but it just seemed to little to late.
The talent in the show was great everyone deserved a lot of praise and gave it there all but the show it self lacked spark.
At first glance the set looked stunning but again it just diddnt really do much(and the green started playing funny tricks on your eyes haha).
Disney will no doubt pick themselves up from this and produce another great show soon(they have little mermaid and a show not based on a disney movie in the works).
I just dont think that Tarzan will transfer here and if it does wont dont do as well as the other disney shows.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: tarzan transfer?#18
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:24am
They didn't transfer Aida, and that was a hit (or more so than Tarzan, anyway!)

I have seen the show and agree with west end artist1 - it was just dull dull dull. The initial spectacle wore off after the first ten miuntes, and from then on it was just dull Phil Collins music and more acrobatics. This was probably one of the weakest Disney films to tranfers to stage (I'd rather see Hunchback, Little Mermaid or Aladdin) and it'll be interesting to see how it fares when the tourists dry up...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tarzan transfer?#19
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:52am
Thankyou Eastwicken its good to hear from someone who HAS seen the show.
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: tarzan transfer?#20
Posted: 8/4/06 at 4:15pm
I wonder, if like Aida, they will give London a miss, and take the show directly from Broadway to Germany....'spectacle' musicals seem to be a hit over there!