Page: 1

Billy Eliot??

Just_John Profile PhotoJust_John Profile Photo
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy Eliot??#0
Posted: 7/17/06 at 7:40pm
I just bought the cast recording, and I was wondering if it was alright to listen to it before seeing it??? Will I enjoy it more if I haven't heard the songs?? Thanks!!!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Billy Eliot??#1
Posted: 7/18/06 at 9:16am
I know I'm not answering the question, but I have to say that I enjoyed the songs much more on stage than I did on the CD - most of them are whole scenes in themselves, so lose impact on disc. I would say wait and 'be surprised' because, for me, the cast album is quite disappointing if you haven't seen the show.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

missy2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Billy Eliot??#2
Posted: 7/18/06 at 6:49pm
i just got back from london where I saw this (i'm a new yorker). What a terrific show!!! Loved it! Can't wait till it comes to Broadway.
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Billy Eliot??#3
Posted: 7/19/06 at 9:13am
i hope to god billy doesnt going to broadway can u imagine the changes they will make(accent,swearing,locations and maggie bloody thatcher)sorry to sound awfull but i think this is one british musical we shouldnt let broadway get its hands on.
Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile PhotoAnastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Billy Eliot??#4
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:37pm
Not EVERYTHING has to change to come to Broadway. It's not a good idea to just assume changes will be made. Billy SHOULD come to Broadway exactly how it is in London. It wouldn't be the first time shows from the West End make a transfer without changes...the producers would be stupid to try to "Americanize" it. And it better star Haydn Gwynne!!! So, BRING IT TO BROADWAY!! We need a show like this!!

To answer the question, I went having heard the cd and the person I was with had not heard it. I loved it and was excited about knowing some of the music so I could be excited about certain parts. He was just excited to see a brand new show that he had heard nothing from and now he can't stop listening to the cd. So, it's up to you.
Updated On: 7/19/06 at 12:37 PM
Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile PhotoAnastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Billy Eliot??#5
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:51pm
....Whatever happens I don't know if the show will be as much of a success here. It is a very British show/story and if the producers think the only way to have success here is to change the show a lot then they shouldn't try to bring it here. I would love to see this show in NYC but not at the expense of loosing what the show is.
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Billy Eliot??#6
Posted: 7/19/06 at 2:54pm
I may be going to London in October. If I do I'll only have time for 3 sho1s and I was going to see Wicked, Avenue Q, and Cabaret. That was because I thought they were bringing Billy to Broadway soon. Maybe I'll try to stay for another day. Also do ANY shows at all in London perform on Sundays?? And out of any of the shows I've mentioned are there discount codes??
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Billy Eliot??#7
Posted: 7/19/06 at 6:03pm
Lion King does.
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Billy Eliot??#8
Posted: 7/20/06 at 12:30am
Well, Lion King is here and exactly the same. IS there anything else that plays in London on Sundays?