Page: 1

LORD OF THE RINGS opens in London in May 2007

Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LORD OF THE RINGS The Musical will open in London in May 2007 in the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. TRDL's current tenant, THE PRODUCERS will end its West End run in January 2007.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

All_For_Laura Profile PhotoAll_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow! I hope it is shortened from how it has been running in Toronto.
...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i saw this about 5 weeks ago and its bloody awfull
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
something else you dont like Westendartist!! lol You wont be an dancing hobbit then!!?? lol
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
god no

its far to long and whilst is impressive to look at it doesnt have much else going for it and is not doing well over there (normally 60percent capacity)

James2
Swing
Swing
this dont sound too good, i admit The Hobbit was great for a shoe, but Lord of the rings, a film is one thing but a show is completely different, what the hell they going to do for hlms deep, and siege of minas tirith, what do they sing there i wonder?
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I heard that they were making Lord of the Rings the Musical a few years ago, I groaned at the simple fact that this will be another show that is made by people who wouldn't know a good musical if one hit them, it will be a show that, like 'I, Keano' and others makes a mockery of proper musical theatre just for the sake of being ridiculous, and will be an unthinkable waste of money. Ughh.
That's not to say that films don't make good musicals, hell, everyone here probably loves a show based on a film, I even writing (or at least trying) to write one now. But not Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, or PPLLEEAASSEE not 'His dark materials'. My friend read the book and reakons they will make a musical out of it when they've finished the film, and the whole thing is just non-conformist crap about kids who 'kill god'.
Now that ive finished my rant I'll go back into my box.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
i dont expect they will do a musical of His Dark Materials as didnt the national do the play a year or so ago and it was a huge sucess...i think any creative team tring to redo a show like that so soon my have a hard time
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Apologies, didn't know about the play. Still, I hate those kind of musicals, and there are a few. Anyone ever seen a show and said 'Why, what were they thinking?'

Derek Mahon

Arthur Miller
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
from what i saw in canada i give this show 6 months max before it closes
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do you think the Theatre Royal is the right place for LotR The Musical? Its wide and open and brightly painted, I think somewhere slightly smaller but darker would be better for the atmosphere. I'd say somewhere like the Prince Edward or Victoria Palace, but I love the Prince Edward & Victoria Palace and Mary Poppins & Billy Elliot so I'd rather a travisty like LotR wouldn't go into either of those. In fact, keep it out of London completely.

Derek Mahon

Arthur Miller