Page: 1

How do you solve a problem like Evita?

Prezza
Swing
Swing
How do you solve a problem like Evita?#0
Posted: 6/7/06 at 7:25am
I was at a preview last night. I was really looking forward to seeing this and, I hate to say this, but if I've seen a duller or more boring production I've forgotten it. Firstly, the design seems to suck all energy there might be from the production, everything is a shade of brown, its like looking into a sepia photograph and after a while it made me feel very sleepy. The weeping and wailing supporting cast scenes kept reminding me of Monty Python, complete with comedy catholic priests carrying massive crucifixes and blessing everyone at every turn. The goose stepping soldiers recall The Producers (and not in the good way). The production nabs all the good ideas from the film without capturing any of the magic or drama of the story. I felt very sorry for the actress cast as evita: she dances well and can plainly act, but her voice is weak (perhaps she was having an off night) and her singing was very throaty - her vocal range seems limited, high notes were either finessed or attacked in a very strident manner. It seems ludicrous to have all the other cast members presenting Argentinians singing with plummy english vowels while Eva sings with a thick and at times barely comprehensible latin accent. At the curtain call she looked as if she really was dying inside, and the polite applause that greeted her confirmed the feeling that she has been cruelly miscast. How is it possible to make this story seem dull and pedestrian? Perhaps its just over familiarity with the story and the music, but when we live in an age with the cult of celebrity and glamour, this staging misses every trick in the book. Never mind ALW running a tv show to cast the Sound of Music, he needs to seriously wonder How to solve a problem like Evita....

west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
ive heard lots of good things about this new production but at the end of the day when evite first opened it divided critics some loved it some hated and im sure it will do the same again
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Think you are right West End Artist.....there's another review on the boards and thats a rave. Would think it would have to be a God awefull production to affect what I think is ALWs/Tim Rice's best work.