mama yuk rock you Zzzzzz saturday night yawn

west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
PLEASE PLEASE GET RID OF MAMA MIA WE WILL ROCK YOU AND SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

Theese shows are AWFULL beyond belief why are they still running
I was so happy when i heard wwry was closing then they had to go and extend N0000000000000000000000000

Our country needs to stop with the jukebox musicals already
Not that all of them are bad some of them are fun

but them 3 Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

wheres the book
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Darling, isnt that the nurse calling with your medication for today?

These shows are still running because they can- because it makes financial sense for them to continue running, and that is so because a massive amount of people want to see these shows, and theatre is a business- whatever the theatre-going public wants, thats what will last. If a show has the audience to stay open, it'll stay open.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
please dont use the word darling thats reserved for assholes

please dont tell me how theatre works ive worked in it for 10 years and am working in a london show at the mo so im well aware of the financial side of the theatre

plus we will rock you WAS having low ticket sales till it announced it was to close and they will soon slump again

mama mia is also playing to half empty houses for most of the week

and fever well ,no comment

THEESE SHOWS ARE OPEN FOR TOURISTS NOT REAL THEATRE PEOPLE
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
'Real Theatre People', oh please. Tourists are the majority of the audience for shows.

Fact of theatre-going life- what the majority wants, the majority gets. And since tourists are the majority, they'll get what they want.

Just on a general point, I know this is an internet discussion board, but why does that have to preclude good spelling and grammar? (particularly in thread titles).
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
"mama mia is also playing to half empty houses for most of the week"

When have you been the last time? Even when I went to mid-week shows, it was fuller in the theatre than at shows as Fame when it was still open or Footloose (how awful I found that show when I saw it some weeks ago, hadn't been so bored watching a show for ages) these days on a Saturday night!
There are people who love the shows you mentioned, most probably for the same reasons you can't stand them!
They are all pure fun, great entertainment with some incredible performers in the cast.
And overall they ARE making money, that's what West End is all about after all (and I know MM is making money as have a friend who works at CM) - and as you said you are working in that business, I hope you are aware that the not real theatre people, the tourists, are the ones paying the majority of your salary!
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ummmm.

Yes, Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You are trash.

And of course Footlose is so superior - a truly original show! (!!!!!!!!!!!)
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
WOW CALM DOWN

FIRST OF ALL PUNCTUATION AND GRAMMER IM DISLEXIC WHATS UR EXCUSE FOR BEEN A PRAT

2nd this is just my opinion on theese shows i am not a fan of juke box musicals

3rd 3 of my former cast members are in mama mia thats how i know its not selling coz im gonna take there word over someone who went to see the 1 night

4th insult footloose all you want it doesnt hurt me im afraid coz im doing what i love to do(can u say the same?)and our box office figures tell us that people are flocking to us

now stop bitchin its boaring its a message board where people can express there opinions and not get attacked for doing so

west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
THIS WHOLE BOARD IS AGGRESSIVE

as for footloose been creativly bankrupt

Footloose does exactly what it says on the tin its a young fun show the kind of show that attracts a new young generation in to the theatre the generation who will keep west end shows in buisness for years to come.The show does also contain original music as well as the songs from the film and lets the audience leave the theatre feeling like they have been entertained.

mama mia however is a bloody mess of a show with lines written purely to introduce another song (even if it makes sense or not)and has so many plot holes you wonder if the writers of the book really cared all that much.It has average set lighting choreography ,stageing,music etc only the cast save it from been a bloody nightmare

We will rock you just shouldnt have bothered with its silly storyline coz knowone else does

and Fever has taken a gritty film and poured glitter all over it to the point it just has nothing to say(but at least in its defence it presents itself as a fun party show)

This is just my opinion and when i started this thread it was just me venting

end off

Ruby Slippers
Swing
Swing
Saturday Night Fever has already closed on the WE, and apparently WWRY will close at the end of the year.
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
First off, if you work in the West End how can you not know Saturday Night Fever closed ages ago. There are not enough'real people' as you call them to keep shows running forever, tourists are needed to allow shows to survive, both tourists from within and outside the UK. Without the coach parties shows like Phantom and Les Miz would have gone ages ago, and Sat Nt fever wouldnt have run for as long as it did. Sometimes people just want to be entertained.

Mamma Mia playing to half empty houses, never heard that myself or from anyone who has struggled to get tickets, but I havent been to every single performance so cant say 100% but it seems a bit unlikely.

'THIS WHOLE BOARD IS AGGRESSIVE' ive been viewing this site for a year or so now, and hadnt joined the discussions until I read this post, and one you wrote a while back complaining about the state of the west end and I felt I couldnt stay quiet. You come accross as a very angry and maybe bitter person, whether thats true or not but thats how it seems. No body elese ive seen has come accross as aggressive - sorry

I wouldnt mind betting you work on footloose, just a hunch. Footloose is just as naff as Fame and Sat Nt fever, I completely agree it does do what it says on the tin, but so do the others. Ive seen all three, fun entertaining shows, fluff, good fun not much to think about. They all have their place.

Mamma Mia I think is the classiest and best of all the jukebox musicals and by far has the best book of all of them. We Will rock You, agree stupid story, quite a bad book, but people love it. and there isnt really anything else at the moment worth putting in the Dominion.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
NS, I agree completely with what you say - these shows wouldn't have run without providing good entertainment. And hopefully, whilst the tourists are in town for WWRY they'll swing by the Wyndhams and catch a matinee of Sunday in the Park with George... (OK, unlikely, but I'm pretty sure that WWRY and Mamma Mia have brough just as many 'new' theatregoers into the West End as Footloose)

However, I would still argue that Our House had the best book of any juke box musical. In fact, it has a stronger book than many other 'pop' shows *cough*FameFoolooseGrease*cough* as the integration between the songs and the dialogue was seamless re: mama yuk rock you Zzzzzz saturday night yawn

And west end artist - you're right, this is a discussion board. People post, then discuss what has been said. The important thing is to work out what the responses are telling you...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 6/1/06 at 08:19 AM
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
first of all if you knew me you would know im the least aggressive person on the planet(yes is still cry at neigbours hehe)and as for been bitter ,well not at all
As for mama rock u etc im sorry but i still say they are an awfull mess and when you said Mama Mia was the classiest of the jukebox shows i couldnt stop laughing(sorry no offence but u cant use the word class with mama mia).
Yes theese shows do what they are supposed to do in london and that is bring in tourists who yes i would like to think catch something a little better in the theatre on there next trip.It just makes me angry that theese shows can run for years when they are not offering anything at all(at least fame and footloose have some amazing choreography and pretty good songs for a young audience)if you want to here abba or queen music get killed go to a tribute night they normally do a great job of doing that.
Its very easy for everyone to jump on me coz im in footloose ,a young fun show and not barefoot or piazza so lets stop all the constant reference to the show im doing untill you guys get in to a west end show and i can insult the one your in(coz lets face it theres always someone whao hates a show and im pretty much guessing that a lot of you havent even been to see footloose)so lets full stop that one there.
i have to agree with eastwickian that out of the uk jukebox musicals OUR HOUSE was def the best it really diddnt feel like it was a jukebox show.
Im not against jukebox shows all together in fact i find some of them fun (i got to see the panned broadway jukebox musicals Good Vibrations and All Shook Up)and as bad as they were they were still a lot a lot of fun,something i dont think mama mia or WWRY are.
Bring them back to the west end every so oftern for 6 months or a year then take them off on tour
Coz its a poor do when shows like rent cant last more than a year yet mama mia can....
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
For the record, I love Footloose, saw it in April and bought another ticket for it yesterday.

It does what it says on the tin and is very good fun, but its not high-art- its not supposed to be. Its fabulous fun though.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The West End "FULL OF TOURISTS"...?????

Its worth noting that according to an official - independent - poll group the number of tourists in West End Theatres is very very very small!!!

73% and rising come from the UK (most from the south east)
40% are actually from London
27% and falling are from other countries (1/2 from America)

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
haha I knew it, I knew you must be in Footloose. Look ive seen it, i enjoyed it, its fun. Amazing cheoreography? well its good but I wouldnt say amazing, fames I thought was poor. Fame had a non existant story in my view, it just went no where, Footloose is the better of the two.

We will have to agree to differ on Mamma Mia, I say its got as much story as any rom com at the cinema, has a couple of heartfelt mometns, and is very funny and tongue in cheek. Doesnt take itself seriously. I always leave on a high. Im not saying its Shakespeare but I love it, always cheers me up. Never saw Our House so cant comment. Ill be interested if you slagged Mamma Mia off if you were offered a part in it!

Im stunned you dont think Mamma Mia is fun!

Dont get me wrong, I love the ALL theatre and very rarely dislike something, and dont look down on you at all for being in footloose. Good on you
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sorry, Tis I again!

Just wanted to say... I agree with the level of agression here! This is a place for opinion so we should all be using this site for a mass debate...

I also have worked in the West of End for a few years and would like to note exactly what you would all like to see in town instead of Mamma Mia, We Will-or wont-Rock You, Fever, Fame and Footloose..?

Are we talking about new musicals? straight plays, old classics, experimental physical devised work, standup comedy, screenings of old movies, the entire cannon of Harold Pinters work, strippers, new plays, 1940's farces, restoration drama, Jacobean tragedy..??? Or maybe an exciting evening of all of these things..?

Oh Calcutta!

west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
hi there

yes i do work in footloose and in all the west end shows and tours ive done i have never seen an audience react to a show the way the audience did all the way through the tour and at the novello THEY GO WILD.
As i said i did fame for a long time and again really enjoyed it and as for it having no story well neither did the film or tv series.The point of fame is simple its just to follow theese kids as they try and make it through PA.Obviously the show has totally dumbed down to attract a younger audience(i dont think the gritty film version would have cut it on stage)but its there for people to have fun and enjoy themselves and this show more than any influences a new young audience to want to dance or sing and that can only be a good thing right?
My agent has put me forward for mama mia twice now and both times ive said no.I dont think it has as good a story as any rom coms as the story line keeps flying out of the window during the show to make way for another abba song(which normally doesnt fit to what they are talking about).It has some gen nice moments in but in my eyes the bad outways the good.
A few months ago the broadway board was asking what was the worst shows on broadway of the past year and 80 percent of the people said mama mia and i have to agree with them.
There is obviously an audience for this show i just dont know who,fans of theatre dont seem to like it that much and the gay crowd(such as my self who loves abba hehe)dont seem to either

As for what should be replacing shows like mama mia its time the uk wrote some decent musicals (original scores etc)so we would stop haveing to rely on broadway to bump up our box office with shows like wicked ,ave q and yes footloose

lol
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Your agent has put you forward and you've said no? There arent many performers in the WE that would be that picky. wow.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
HEHE i told you i diddnt like it

but in all fairness i was offered footloose at the same time so i took that

and the time before me and my partner had just had a blessing of our relationship so i didnt want to leave him yet again(well not for a few months anyway hehe)
lol
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Can i ask if youre one of the 'Hero's' in 'Holding out for a Hero'? Cos damn, theyre fine!

(my fave's the 'james bond')

re: mama yuk rock you Zzzzzz saturday night yawn
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think WWRY is amazing. It is one of my fave musicals and i want to see it again when I go to london again in October.

Havent seen Mamma Mia but my parents have and they say it was really good.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
haha the holdin out for a hero question

my answer

NO COMMENT HEHE
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Maybe your the soldier/Ren's uncle? hmm
lol
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
HA HA IM 26 SO NO NOT RENS UNCLE HAHA
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Isnt ren's uncle played by the guy who is also the topless soldier with the dog tags in holding out? I could swear he was- they look very similar (and rens uncle is quite young anyway).