Page: 1

Dance of The Vampires in London?

Unmasked05 Profile PhotoUnmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dance of The Vampires in London?#0
Posted: 3/20/06 at 12:47am
Will this show every pop up on the West End?
Facebook...ME !!!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#1
Posted: 3/20/06 at 6:50am
There were rumours that it would soon after Broadway, but with that version being such an enormous flop, that plan died a death. I suppose that there's always a chance a translated version of the original production may open, but finances (it's a pretty lavish show, and the US show lost $millions), and the fact that the book-writer Michael Kunze has become very protective of his shows since DOTV means that it's unlikely....

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Unmasked05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#2
Posted: 3/20/06 at 9:39am
I hope it does someday. But I think I would rather see the Vienna Version instead of the Broadway production.
Facebook...ME !!!
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#3
Posted: 3/20/06 at 11:51am
I would love to see the Vienna production to open in London too - the Broadway production had hardly anything to do with the Vienna one.
RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#4
Posted: 3/20/06 at 12:43pm
Theres nothing in the works currently - i think if it were to ever been seen in London it would launch a small tour and then bring it pending on success - a producer would be mad to go stright to London with it now
LondonTheatreUK Profile PhotoLondonTheatreUK Profile Photo
LondonTheatreUK
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#5
Posted: 3/21/06 at 2:36pm
I'd like to see an English version too - but I'm not sure how well it would do in London at the moment, what with all the Broadway stuff coming in. I saw Tanz in Hamburg shortly after it opened there and enjoyed it.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#6
Posted: 3/22/06 at 9:53pm
I saw it in Vienna in 1998.....it was wonderful, and recently got the complete cast recording from Germany (already had the hi-lights).
I believe it's still playing in Stuttgart........

opps, perhaps not, forgot it went to Hamburg
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 3/22/06 at 09:53 PM
Beatrande
Swing
Swing
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#7
Posted: 3/23/06 at 11:14am
I'd like to see Wildhorn's DRACULA in London as well. I've heard DRACULA (cast recording out soon - yey!) and TANZ DER VAMPIRE (but only in German) and I'd like to be able to compare the two onstage.
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#8
Posted: 3/23/06 at 12:08pm
"opps, perhaps not, forgot it went to Hamburg"
... and it closed in January this year after a two years run! There are strong rumours it will open in Berlin though at the end of the year.
I personally like this show much more than most of the musicals which are going to open in London this year!
Unmasked05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#9
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:42pm
I can't find a recording of TANZ anywhere here in the states and that really sucks cause I would buy it in a heartbeat. But an English recording would be nice to have though.
Facebook...ME !!!
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#10
Posted: 3/28/06 at 9:57pm
unmasked, they have it at Colony records in Manhattan, also you can get it from Footlight Records

http://www.footlight.com/search.cfm?qsearch=true&q=Tanz+der+Vampire&sCat=

first Tanz listed is the full show, 2nd is hi-lights......I wish I would have looked at footlight BEFORE buying it from Germany, the shipping killed me
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
meg_giry Profile Photomeg_giry Profile Photo
meg_giry
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#11
Posted: 3/29/06 at 2:19am
Maybe there'll be a tour, but it's only a rumour, that Tanz der Vampire will open in Berlin, because the Disney's Aida-Tour will have its Premiere this year in Berlin after the successless Production of "Die 3 Musketiere".

Unmasked, hope you'll enjoy the recording - The German and Austrian Productions were so great!
no pare, sigue sigue! - Dead men tell no tales...
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#12
Posted: 3/29/06 at 10:54am
Have a look here for recordings
http://www.carpe-jugulum.com/mm/index.html
Unmasked05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#13
Posted: 3/30/06 at 1:26am
AWESOME !!!!

Are each of the productions of TANZ different?
Facebook...ME !!!
meg_giry Profile Photomeg_giry Profile Photo
meg_giry
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#14
Posted: 3/30/06 at 5:14am
@Unmasked: Not really - They made for the Stuttgart Production a new song (instead of the instrumental song "Die roten Stiefel") and for the Hamburg Production some little text changes and a special snow effect at the beginning of the show, but on the whole, they're very similiar to each other.

Now it isn't just a rumour: "Tanz der Vampire" will have its premiere in Berlin in december(?) 2006 AFTER the tour stop of "Aida".
no pare, sigue sigue! - Dead men tell no tales...
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#15
Posted: 3/30/06 at 1:57pm
Excited, that it is finally announced officially after so many weeks of rumours!! Now I can plan my Berlin trips...
gvendo2005 Profile Photogvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#16
Posted: 4/8/06 at 7:48pm
The Berlin production will have sets scaled down for the theatre, some shortened songs, and two new songs by Jim Steinman, according to some sources. Also, "For Sarah" was moved to Act 1 in the Polish production, so it might still be there in this new production.

In short: This could be interesting.
"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#17
Posted: 4/10/06 at 6:17am

Ah, the guilty pleasure of Mr. Jim Steinman. To all of you, who may not be aware, name the man who is behind these hits:

* Bat Out Of Hell
* You Took the Words Right Out of my Mouth
* Two Out of Three Ain't Bad
* Paradise by the Dashboard Light
* Making Love out of Nothing at All
* Total Eclipse of the Heart
* Holding Out For a Hero
* I'd do Anything for Love (But I Won't do That)
* It's All Coming Back to me Now
* No Matter What (Boyzone)

You guessed it!

And I wouldn't over-presume on the possibility of TANZ never playing in English again. When I, and GVendo (the fellow above me), applied for rights for a workshop reading (of the original English version of Tanz.) Mr. Kunze was only too happy to listen to us and gave us over to the rights-holders' who laid out there conditions. To this day, where I live, I am still trying to talk producers into speaking with V.B.W. about an English proper production of the original show Kunze and Steinman created. Don't ever say it's out of the running because Michael gave me the impression he'd love for it to have a second chance (hopefully there's a potential producer reading this message right now re: Dance of The Vampires in London?

In essence, the only thing stopping this show (in English, at least) are shy producers!

There are rumours, actually it's published in the programme for Whistle Down The Wind (now playing at Palace Theatre, London), that Tanz der Vampire is set to become a movie! If the show was ever searching for a second chance this would be it! And with Polanski on board it could be absolutely phenomenal! (for those Stein-buffs out there he is currently working on "Bat Out Of Hell The Musical" for stage and screen, as well as a film with Stuart (Collateral, Pirates of the Caribbean) Beattie and a puppet spectacular in the West End. Should be intriguing re: Dance of The Vampires in London?

And I yearn for the day that Warner Bros. finally produce Batman the Musical which contains one of the most beautiful love duets I have ever heard in all of my experience with musical theatre, "Not Allowed to Love," the unrequited secret love-affair of Batman and Catwoman...

Excuse me for the shameless advertising, but I can't resist. Please check out something I've been working on passionately for the last year:

BAT OUT OF EXCESS: www.freewebs.com/lordsteinman (switching over to a decent domain soon!)

Updated On: 4/10/06 at 06:17 AM
Daniella_99 Profile PhotoDaniella_99 Profile Photo
Daniella_99
Swing
Swing
re: Dance of The Vampires in London?#18
Posted: 4/14/06 at 5:17am
Well, I`ve seen TANZ DER VAMPIRE in Vienna since I`m Austrian anyway and I don`t live far away from Vienna.
All I can say is that I would die to watch the musical again somewhere in Europe.
I love it that much I would even go to London only to be part of the audience again!!!!

Page: 1