Page: 1

Which show should I see?

chefgabriel
Swing
Swing
Which show should I see?#0
Posted: 5/8/05 at 3:56am
I will be traveling to London later this summer and was wanting to know which show I should see when I am there. I have seen most of the shows on Broadway but NEED to see something from the West End. Any suggestions?
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Which show should I see?#1
Posted: 5/8/05 at 9:27am
Of the shows in London that are not currently on Broadway, "The Far Pavilions" is worth a look. It has no stand out songs but the music overall is very strong, it has a plot that holds the attention and it looks fantastic.

"The Woman In White", despite some major flaws, is certainly worth seeing. It has the usual strengths and weaknesses of an ALW show - it has 4 outstanding songs but also endless repetition and the book is very laboured in places. But the scenic design is stunning and the performances are terrific.

Also, of course - if you did not get to see "Les Mis" before it closed on Broadway, it is a "must-see" in London.

"Billy Elliot" has just opened - and I am going to see it this weekend. If it is as good as I am expecting it to be, it is also something you should consider.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
chefgabriel
Swing
Swing
re: Which show should I see?#2
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:20am
THANKS! I am very excited to see a show in London. Please let me know what "TWIW" is like! I have heard many positive things about it.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Which show should I see?#3
Posted: 5/10/05 at 11:37am
I liked the Woman in White, but it's going to be done in the US soon: if you want to see a 'British' show, go for Blood Brothers. It does tend to divide US audiences, but those that I was sat with last time loved it re: Which show should I see?

Otherwise - Guys and Dolls and Ewan McGregor looks to be good (but book now!) and I agree that Les Mis is always worth a look! Have fun!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

DinJ
Swing
Swing
re: Which show should I see?#4
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:04am
I just saw Blood Brothers about a week ago, and loved it. I think it's a good show for you, if you want to experience "British" theater.
What ever you decide you can pup by http://www.broadwaybox.com/london and see if there is a discount code for the show your interested in. I usually save some pounds buying tickets using their codes.
Have fun
Greekmusicalfan Profile PhotoGreekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Which show should I see?#5
Posted: 5/12/05 at 8:23pm
I just got back from London and as a friendly advise I have to tell you to RUN to Billy Elliot ! It is FANTASTIC and very British ! Also, Mary Poppins is wonderful and it looks as Guys and Dolls with Ewan Mc Gregor is going to be unmissable !!!
SallyBrown Profile PhotoSallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Which show should I see?#6
Posted: 5/13/05 at 12:34pm
Have you seen the press pictures for Guys and Dolls? LOOKS SOO GREAT
(prays for 3 months to FLY)
"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."
ThoroughlyModernEmily
Swing
Swing
re: Which show should I see?#7
Posted: 5/14/05 at 1:51pm
Hey! I just spent a year in London and i saw a lot but i completely fell in love with MARY POPPINS! You should definitely see that. Laura Michelle Kelly and Gavin Lee are unreal.
Practically Perfect Profile PhotoPractically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Which show should I see?#8
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:02am
Definitely Mary Poppins and Billy Elliot. The Woman in White if you want to see 3 shows, and I assume if you're from New York that you've seen The Producers - it's a great night of comedy.

Enjoy your visit!!!

Mary P x
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Which show should I see?#9
Posted: 7/1/05 at 1:12pm
Blood Brothers, Billy Elliott, and Woman is White all excellent choices.

but as stated WIW is coming to the States, so see one of the others.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956