Page: 1

Michael Ball as Valjean in Les Mis Windsor Castle Show

jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you tuned in to BBC-America or BBC-World, you might have seen video clips of the Les Mis rehearsals for the Windsor Castle special show for the state function in honor of President Jacques Chirac of France given by The Queen.

While the cast were in casual clothes for the rehearsal clip, I understand they were in full costume for the special show at Windsor Castle.

I wonder if Michael ( who was the original Marius at the Barbican 19 years ago) will eventually go back to the show as Jean Valjean? Maybe for the 20th Anniversary Celebration of Les Mis next year?

Sazzle Profile PhotoSazzle Profile Photo
Sazzle
Understudy
Understudy
I really really hope he does! I'd love to see that!

I saw a picture of him as valjean,and it was weird, he looked so different!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for next year!!

Sal xx
*One Day More, Another Day, Another Destiny!*
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
He looked fantastic as Valjean, and from the clips sounded wonderful. Always knew he could do that part. I know he is very busy but it would be great if he could do it in London next year. He would be a fantastic Valjean. It would be great for him and breathe new life into the show. Wish we could get some pictures from the performance or maybe some sort of review.
Updated On: 11/19/04 at 09:33 AM
Sazzle
Understudy
Understudy
I know someone with one picture from the show with Micheal on, if you want I can get the link for you!! :)

Sal x
melody2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Yes Sazzle post it! Valjean is my favourite musical character...
Sazzle
Understudy
Understudy
Okies

http://www.musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33210&start=15

The pictures are one one of them posts!!

Salxx
Understudy
Understudy
There are lots of photo's on the MBFC forum to.You don't have to be a member to view the forum.

He makes a very handsome Valjean :)
Sazzle
Understudy
Understudy
He doesnt doesnt he!! The hair and the beard makes his eyes look so much bluer, and even more pretty than normal!
melody2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
That was a great photo on the musicals.net forum (will check out MBFC too). Someone wrote that he looked 'gentle' and that would be true. Looking forward to the day when I can see him take the West End stage in that fabulous role. Thanks for the link.
kangaroo Profile Photokangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So does that mean that this anniversary already happened? I thought it was supposed to be 2005 or 2007. I think that Michael Ball looks kinda weird, because I am so used to him as Marius. That cast for the 10th Anniversary... all the leads were amazing. Lea Solanga, Philip Quast (amazing!), Michael Ball. They were my favorite in the show.
NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, the 20th anniversary of Les Mis will be in 2005. The Windsor Castle special presentation was part of the Anglo-French Entente Cordiale anniversary celebration which coincided with the visit of French president Jacques Chirac. It was hosted by Queen Elizabeth. That was why Cameron Mackintosh was immensely proud of the show!

Yes, Michael will always be "Marius" in the hearts of Les Mis fans ( he originated the role in 1985!) and the song EMPTY CHAIRS AT EMPTY TABLES will always be one of his two signature songs. But since then he has sung the songs of Jean Valjean live and in one of his albums. He kidded about how Cameron had to take him to a special lunch to break the news to him that he is now considered for the senior and not the juvenile lead role in LES MISERABLES re: Michael Ball as Valjean in Les Mis Windsor  Castle Show

I am hoping that Michael will play the role onstage in London for a limited time when the 20th anniversary comes along ( Late 2005) re: Michael Ball as Valjean in Les Mis Windsor  Castle Show
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I have to agree Jo. Michael can certainly sing the role beautifully. I, too, hope he sings it for the anniversary show
kangaroo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When do you think we will know the final list for the Les Mis 20th? Because it's coming up pretty soon, they probably already know...

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing

kangaroo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really hope Michael Ball plays Valjean in the 20th anniversary. That would be amazing, who better to take over? I think that it would be weird to see him dressed as Valjean, when I have watched the 10th anniversary probably over 20 times as him as Marius. The picture made me laugh, because I still view him how he was in the video. But even still, I think he would be amazing, and I hope they choose him.

sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I have to agree that he would be a fantastic Valjean.