Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

West End July 2020

wildhornfan
Swing
Swing | Joined: 5/23/04

West End July 2020

Posted: 2/14/20 at 11:19am
I am going to London the end of July. I am wondering what West End shows I should see. I live in NYC and go to Broadway shows all the time. What are the hits over in London, that are not on Broadway? Any recommendations? I like musicals and plays.

Thanks so much...
Debra
imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 12/8/14

West End July 2020

Posted: 2/15/20 at 9:42pm

Most of the shows that will be running in July haven't opened yet, so take these suggestions with a pinch of salt. 

Very high on my "must see" list there is Jessica Chastain in A Doll's House, and other interesting things are Michael Ball reprising his Olivier Award winning Edna in Hairspray, Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park with George (if you missed it on Broadway), and Adam Cooper going back to Gene Kelly's iconic role in Singin' in the Rain at the Sadler's Wells. Jamie Lloyd's acclaimed but divisive production of Evita will be running at the Barbican, while there is an open air production of Carousel going on at Regent's Park. And of course there is Whoopi Goldberg going back to Sister Act, which promises to be a trainwreck but could be fun.

There is also Prince of Egypt at the Dominion, I saw it but frankly I cannot recommend it.

mikeyp3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member | Joined: 6/9/17

West End July 2020

Posted: 2/28/20 at 11:31am

And why wouldn't you  recommend-Prince of Egypt, I  completely disagree I thought it was really good

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 12/8/14

West End July 2020

Posted: 2/28/20 at 6:13pm

My thoughts are in the Broadway section but, keeping it short, I thought it has a first rate cast, but poor direction and absolutely dreadful choreographies. The set too could be vastly improved, it relegates everything interesting to projections at the expense of stagecraft and creativity.  

Most of the critics weren't fans either (The Guardian gave it 2 stars, the Evening Standard just 1, which is admittedly a bit too harsh even for me), but I think at least one critic gave it 4 stars. In case OP is interested the "official" reviews can be found here: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-Were-London-Critics-Wowed-By-THE-PRINCE-OF-EGYPT-20200225