Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Cancer diagnosis led to West End flop
With Andrew Lloyd Webber at the helm and a plot inspired by Frederick Forsyth it seemed almost inconceivable that a sequel to Phantom of the Opera could fail.
By Martin Evans

So it was a shock when the long awaited follow-up, Love Never Dies, faltered at the box office.
The musical was panned by some of the critics when it opened in London last year. One reviewer claimed that the plot was so dull the work ought to be renamed “Paint Never Dries”.
But now Lord Lloyd-Webber has explained the reason he was not able to give the show his full attention was because he felt so ill during production.
The 63-year-old was diagnosed with prostate cancer in October 2009 and underwent immediate treatment for the condition.
Fortunately the illness, which is the most common form of cancer in men, was caught in the very early stages and he made a full recovery getting the all clear in January last year.
But his health battle took its toll as he worked on the show and he has now admitted it was a mistake not to postpone its opening until he was back to full strength.
Lord Lloyd Webber said: “I had a unique issue because I got cancer in the middle of all of it. With hindsight we should have said, ‘Let’s put the whole thing on hold until I’m 100 per cent again’. Frankly I wasn’t feeling very well.”

The show was subsequently was re-jigged and a new version won more favourable reviews when it re-opened at the Adelphi Theatre.
It was even nominated for seven Olivier awards, but Lord Lloyd Webber has admitted he was not "on the case" when the show originally opened.
Lord Lloyd Webber made the candid admission as a fresh production of the musical opened in Melbourne, Australia.
The new show, which has an updated set design, has opened to rave reviews with some describing it as “ravishing” and a “must-see”.
Lord Lloyd Webber said: “There is no question that this production cannot be improved upon. It is fabulous to look at and they completely understand what I’m trying to get at with the score. It has a momentum that is wonderful.”

Once the new updated version of Love Never Dies has completed its run in Australia it will transfer to Broadway.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This article gives rise to a few random thoughts from me:

1. Though I sympathise with ALW for his health problems and genuinely hope that he is now well on the road to full recovery, I think to suggest that the show's shortcomings ae linked to his illness is not only preposterous but also makes him look more than a little "sad".

2. What's his excuse for some of the other dross he's written when he was fully healthy? lol

3. "Once the new updated version of Love Never Dies has completed its run in Australia it will transfer to Broadway."
IN HIS DREAMS!

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***
Updated On: 6/10/11 at 09:53 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#2
Posted: 6/10/11 at 10:04am
Number 2 just made me scream with laughter! x
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#3
Posted: 6/10/11 at 11:10am
I think given the critical reception the Australian production has received it not only questions Lloyd webbers London production but all the original creatives involved in contributing to making this a truly difficult experience.

I particularly mention Jack O'Brien who perhaps ALW is having a dig at when he says "...and they completely understand what I’m trying to get at with the score. It has a momentum that is wonderful.”

I too wasn't aware that ALW was ill when he wrote the 'Beautiful Game' but watching it certainly made me ill! Oddly enough the common denominator in these two shows is...besides the Lord himself, Ben Elton!

Updated On: 6/10/11 at 11:10 AM
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#4
Posted: 6/10/11 at 11:22am
I actually happened to love the Beautiful Game - one of ALW's best scores IMO. (Also loved Elton's libretto.)
THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#5
Posted: 6/10/11 at 11:34am
2. Bob I roared. You speak the truth!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#6
Posted: 6/10/11 at 11:58am
Oh please his health had nothing to do with the fact that his show is a clunker, he should have listened to the cat who destroyed an early script of Love Never Dies......clearly that is one smart **** (yes i said **** stop giggling)

And i quite like the Beautful Game as well, i hate most of his other work
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Sister George Profile PhotoSister George Profile Photo
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Excuse me, if you could all at least have a little bit of basic human decency and read the following description of Prostate Cancer you might have a little more understanding

Signs and symptoms of Prostate Cancer:

Sometimes, however, prostate cancer does cause symptoms:

These include frequent urination, hematuria (blood in the urine), and dysuria (painful urination).
Prostate cancer is associated with urinary dysfunction as the prostate gland surrounds the prostatic urethra. Changes within the gland, therefore, directly affect urinary function.
Advanced prostate cancer can spread to other parts of the body, possibly causing additional symptoms. The most common symptom is bone pain, often in the vertebrae (bones of the spine), pelvis, or ribs.
Prostate cancer in the spine can also compress the spinal cord, causing leg weakness and urinary and fecal incontinence.
In particularly severe cases can also lead to writing really sh*t musicals complete with eltonia (simplistic and dodgy plots) this can lead to prostate leakage (taking the p*ss with general public)
"I tend to think if god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist" Linda Smith
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sister George - rotflmao!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats gonna be sent to RUG first thing Monday! LOL
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#10
Posted: 6/10/11 at 5:51pm
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!
I prefer this to the London art work.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#11
Posted: 6/10/11 at 6:00pm
I love the slogan as well, but believe what? :P

Wouldn't "Prepare to love again" be more suitable? xD
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#12
Posted: 6/10/11 at 6:32pm
Sister George i just wet myself a little lol

tenorboyo Profile Phototenorboyo Profile Photo
tenorboyo
Stand-by
Stand-by
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#13
Posted: 6/11/11 at 10:31am
Sister George......GOLD!!!
I actually saw this new 9 Million dollar extravaganza in previews. That is all i can say about that. LOL
Leonardo2
Understudy
Understudy
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#14
Posted: 6/11/11 at 12:18pm
Really turned off these boards by the viciousness here.

The man had a life-threatening illness where the treatment is no picnic either and you people make fun? I don't think ALW is the one who's "sad". Obviously nobody here has battled cancer. If you have any friends or family that have, how would they feel to know you're making light of someone else's illness?

LND made its initial investment back in pre-sales, is still running almost a year and a half later with no plans to close (despite the rumours by the gossips and haters), a second production is up and running (that is selling incredibly well) and more productions are planned. It may not be the smash hit he was hoping, but I don't think it falls into the 'flop' category either.
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#15
Posted: 6/11/11 at 12:57pm
No, it falls into the 'terrible' category

Yes, it's a horrible affliction, but he lost any rights that he might have had to any sympathy when he tried to use that to excuse the show being poorly received. If I had friends or relatives with prostate cancer, then I would be extremely p*ssed off with him, which I kinda already am, for trying to B.S his way out of a bad show, by trading in on his health!

If he were that ill, nobody was forcing him to continue working on this show, he's andrew lloyd webber and has enough money to be able to do whatever the hell he wants!

Also, for every so called 'hater' there's someone who is so obssessed with this flawed show, that they don't recognise logic and blindly criticise anybody who begins to speak ill of the show or anything to do with it. That person is the other type of fanatic, and without making any accusations and admittedly only reading one of your posts, I have a feeling that that boot might fit.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#16
Posted: 6/11/11 at 1:39pm
Nobody here is dismissing the fact he had cancer, and I sympathise for what he went through. However, his ego took over and he individually decided that despite that, he was going to continue with a project that was flawed from the start, risking millions of other peoples money, because his pride was too strong to back down.
THEN, after it went tits up, thousands more pounds have been thrown at it, despite the negative reviews and response from fans, because he was too ashamed to admit failure from his work. Finally to justify this hideous and highly unprofessional mistake he made, the real reason behind it being simply, he could do it, and there is no one with the power to stop him, he tries to use this devastating illness that affects millions and takes thousands of innocent lives, as an excuse of decisions he made, most of which were made before symptoms were present!
What he has said and done, is not only outrageous, it is also hideous and displaceable to every person out there who has beaten the illness and have had there lives turned upside down and ruined by it.
I have never been a fan of this man, I find his ego foul, personality tasteless and his work dull and unimaginative, however, since this, I have a new hatred for how low this man would stoop to try and excuse his disastrous decisions.

And for the fact of it selling tickets and having "successful" other productions is down to the simple fact that this is the sequel to one of the most successful musicals ever, and POTO's fans will flock to it regardless, they could use a KKK support poster as its advertising campaign, and it would STILL sell.
The quality of his work is not relevant to it's success, and I think he realised this from day one, and knew he could get away with producing sub-standard results as it would make no difference!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#17
Posted: 6/11/11 at 1:43pm
I had stomach cancer 8 years ago.. wanna talk about it!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#18
Posted: 6/11/11 at 1:52pm
Ive lost half of my family to cancer, it's not taking the p**s out of him having cancer which is a terrible thing, its him justifying a bad show by USING his ilness as the excuse.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#19
Posted: 6/11/11 at 1:54pm
Idiot.
Probably 'stage dooring' the Adelphi as we speak!

At a quick count, I-ve lost around 10 in the last 5 years inc close family!

Always look on the bright side of life.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#20
Posted: 6/11/11 at 1:56pm
well said Con, every word rings true.
Sister George Profile PhotoSister George Profile Photo
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#21
Posted: 6/11/11 at 2:36pm
I can assure you that the majority of my friends and family who have suffered both with cancer and other less fashionable illnesses would be more annoyed by that particularly offensive phrase 'battled' than with anything else on this thread.
"I tend to think if god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist" Linda Smith
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#22
Posted: 6/11/11 at 4:19pm
I can't imagine ALW's mind was completely on his work, but I also can't understand what would have been different and better about the show if he had not been ill.
The music was all written, and perhaps more importantly, the album was recorded in 2008-2009 and re-recorded and completed in September of 2009, which means the story was complete well before the recording was made. Most critics of all varieties cite the show's book as its greatest weakness. He was diagnosed in October of 2009 so he was probably feeling illl for some time, but would his not feeling well have affected the story?

Would he have not insisted O'Brien do the show his (ALW's) way? Would that creative team in place at that time have come up with the kind of WOW staging he likes so much about the Australian production? Would he have changed the story or characterizations he thinks are so great if he had been healthier? Really, I don't see any of those things happening.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#23
Posted: 6/12/11 at 4:08pm
I had early stage prostate cancer about 1 1/2 years ago. I had 45 radiation treatments . After each one, I went right to work

Sir Andrew has a great medical plan (probably owns his own hospital) so me thinks he used it as an excuse. how does he explain away Aspects Of Love and a few of his other flops. I could be wrong & if I am I wholeheartedly apologize Andy.
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 6/12/11 at 04:08 PM
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excuses! Excuses! Its A Flop, Get Over it!#24
Posted: 6/12/11 at 5:15pm
I also much prefer the Melbourne artwork. This new production has certainly got the physical and promotional side of the show right, that London got both aspects so wrong - second rate cast though in my honest opinion. But until the story is improved, it will always be a wasted opportunity.

I am honestly shocked anyone could think the Beautiful Game was any good, I think its awful