Page: 1

BOB IN NEW YORK

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#1
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:52pm
Had a great trip - met up with Phantom and Tiggosaurus and saw lots of shows (mostly good or great). Now back home and absolutely shattered but thought I'd post my brief comments on shows before I fall asleep!

ANYTHING GOES - managed to get to see this the night I arrived, booking last minute, and - loved, loved,loved it. Classic Porter score with stunning Kathleen Marshall Choreography and a cast to die for. Sutton must be a serious Tony contender for this triple threat performance. *****

WONDERLAND: The book is a little laboured at times but it looks great and the score is awesome. Janet Dacal another very strong Tony contender IMO (as are both Kate Shindle and Karen Mason for best supporting role). ****

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN - fabulous off-off Broadway production of a seriously underrated classic 50s show with a wonderful Arthur Schwartz/Dorothy Fields score. ****

HOW TO SUCCEED - fantastic! A brilliant Loesser score with brilliant Ashford magic in the staging and again some superb performances, especially from Radcliffe who was beyond awesome. (Tony, Tony, Tony!) *****

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN - looks really good and Aaron and Norbert are superb. But I found I didn't care at all about the characters or the story and Shaiman's bland-in-the-extreme score almost sent me to sleep. The performances lift my rating to *** but the show itself is barely one star. I thought it was BAF (Boring As F***k).

TOMORROW MORNING: There are not enough superlatives to describe this show. Even better than it was at the Landor. Matt Hydzyk and D.B. Bonds in particular were fantastic and the two girls were brilliant too. The score is just stunning, the entire concept of the piece is innovative and there are moments in the show that are genuinely heartbreakingly wonderful - sheer genius writing by Lawrence Mark Wythe. ***** THE BEST THING I'VE SEEN SO FAR THIS YEAR.

SISTER ACT: Some aspects better than London (e.g. great new solo number for Victoria Clark's MS; also Here Within These Walls now has a duet section with Deloris joining in; some brilliant sets; and Victoria Clark is seriously fantastic - both comedically and vocally). Some aspcets not as good as London (e.g. I thought the male performers apart from Fred Applegate were quite weak compared to their West End counterparts; and the new song that has replaced When I Got The Calling fell really flat - hopefully they will put the superb WIGTC back in before the show opens). ****

SPIDERMAN: The Book is a mess - and I HATED the three teenage nerd cartoon writers who were both uncessary and irritating. But some of the flying etc and the sets are quite spectacular. And I actually really liked a lot of the songs. And both Carney and Damiano are superb. Nowehere near as bad as I was expecting it to be! ***

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#2
Posted: 3/30/11 at 2:14pm
Cant believe you liked Wonderland, isnt everyone saying this is an utter mess?
I love Catch Me if You Can out of town, thought you may not like it though
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#2
Posted: 3/30/11 at 2:29pm
SADM - Wonderland is full of really stunning melodies, songs that just blew me away. The songs in CMIYC were IMO just so melodically challenged - I was actually praying, "please not another song". But then that's exactly what I thought when I suffered through the Hairspray score too lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
BOB IN NEW YORK#3
Posted: 3/30/11 at 2:30pm
Glad you enjoyed Bob!

I love Anything Goes and love Sutton so that would be surefire hit for me too!

Love A tree.. too so jealous you saw that!

Shame about 'Catch me...' loved the film and thought the stage version had potential, I'd go and see it for Norbert anyway.

p.s I've been listening to 'More with every line' all day Bob-can't get enough of it BOB IN NEW YORK
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#4
Posted: 3/30/11 at 3:18pm
So far and yet so close Bob!
Bloody mobile phone messed me up.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#5
Posted: 3/30/11 at 6:46pm
yeah, mama - a real shame we were not able to hook up. It doesn't help that I donbl;t hacve any internet access while away from home! Hope you had a great time.

SoonerOrLater - SOOOO glad you're loving MORE WITH EVERY LINE.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#6
Posted: 3/30/11 at 11:41pm
Agree with you on Catch Me score bob, just not good enough! Glad you had a good trip
B-maniac Profile PhotoB-maniac Profile Photo
B-maniac
Understudy
Understudy
BOB IN NEW YORK#7
Posted: 3/31/11 at 12:41am
And Hello Again? Is it good?

Ad In Trousers? Did you see it?
Updated On: 4/1/11 at 12:41 AM
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#8
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:16am
Hello Again - an excellent production with inventive direction and top class performances all round. But I'm afraid I found La Chiusa's score pretty much like suffering through the Spanish Inquisition. I've always found his music painful to the ear but was told "you need to see the shows to appreciate it". So I went to see this show in the hope that I would be converted. Unfortunately I was not.

As for In Trousers, I was heart-broken that I was not in the end able to see it. The rickety wooden chairs and "night club seating" at the Duplex made it impossible for me with my arthritis and chronic back problem. I turned up 30 minutes before the show and was placed in my seat. After 10 minutes there I was in so much pain I simply had to leave.

I also forgot to mention "Theodore & Co" in the Musicals Tonight series, which I saw last Friday matinee. As expected, the Boook was just mindless nonsense - a product of its time (written in 1916) - but it was nevertheless good fun with superb performances by everyone in the cast. And the score (by Ivor Novello with a couple of tunes by Jerome Kern!) was delightful. It was so great to get to see a piece like this and full marks to Musicals Tonight for bringing Novello to an American audience. (He's something of an icon in the UK and virtually unknown across the pond.) This was the US premiere of the show and, though I know all of Novello's major works pretty well, I knew virtually nothing of this - though one of the songs was performed by "Ivor Novello" in the movie "Gosford Park".
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
BOB IN NEW YORK#9
Posted: 3/31/11 at 6:10am
I agree about LaChiusa's music Bob-and I've probably done the same thing (gone to see if it was any different live) shame it wasn't.

So disappointed to hear about CMIYC's music, I was quite excited for this one!

And still listening to 'More with Every line' in fact I can't stop singing 'Fallen' and 'Time'!!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BOB IN NEW YORK#10
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:20am
Wow, couldn't disagree more about LaChiusa whom I regard as a musical theatre genius. I'd have killed to see this production of Hello Again which I've heard great things about.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!