Page: 1

Week forward/back (26/03/2011)

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#1
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:18pm
So, as an update on the last thread we had on this (which was on the 18th)...

Would anyone like to share with us what they went to see this week or what they are going to see in the coming week?

I didn't see anything this week, as I was performing in Steven Berkoff's Metamorphosis, but over the next few days, I am hoping to see
THE PRODUCERS at the Dolman Theatre, Newport
& FRANK AND FERDINAND @ The Bristol Old Vic!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#2
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:25pm
I've seen SO much this week! And also got my Uni casting for Spring Awakening - playing Ernst

So I saw:
Sat: Umbrellas/Spelling Bee
Sun: Michael Bruce Concert
Mon: Love Never Dies
Tues:Kissing Dance
Wed: Betty Blue Eyes
Fri: Shoes

And tomorrow I am seeing Children's Hour and Rocket to the Moon.

Oh and I'm flying off to NYC for the week on Tuesday morning!!! VERY EXCITED!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#2
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:27pm
Oh wow, congratulations Mark! I'd LOVE to play Ernst!

Did you have a favourite out of what you've seen this week?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#3
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:40pm
Probably Shoes to be honest, genuinely surprised!! Gotta say I loved Betty too!!

And yer Ernst is gonna be fun to play :P. Just really looking forward to getting started on rehearsals!
Updated On: 3/25/11 at 09:40 PM
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#4
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:44pm
I hope you have a nice Hanschen to work with! Haha :P
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#5
Posted: 3/26/11 at 5:07am
Yay! Seeing Wizard of Oz tomorrow!

Bit of an abstract question, but does anyone know which Westie performs as Toto on Sundays? I'm hoping for Razzmatazz...
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#6
Posted: 3/28/11 at 5:51am
Just back from a weekend in London, surivived the protests and got to see some theatre;

Rocket to the Moon (Friday 25th) great play and not an Odets I was familar with beforehand which is sometimes nice to see something totally 'fresh' to me. Some great performances. The show was also stopped by an incident with a door handle! Keely Hawes' character storms out and slams the door at one point and the door handle came flying off! The actors stuggled with it for a few minutes before stopping the show in the hope of getting it fixed, the Stage manager came out and explained it would take too long so they continued improvising around the broken door!

As a bonus I happened to finally do the tour of the National on the Saturday and got to walk around the (very impressive) set for 'Rocket to the Moon' which was fantastic!

Million Dollar Quartet (Sat 26th) This is one which divides opinion but I loved it! I had a fun evening at the theatre and sometimes all I want is a fun evening out! I was brought up on that music (parent's era-which is why I was there-taking Mum as a birthday treat!)I also loved the actors playing live, and boy can those boys play! if ever there is a case for actor/musicans there it is!
Is Million Dollar Quartet the best musical I've seen? no, but is it the most fun I've had in a while-YES!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#7
Posted: 3/28/11 at 6:31am
I too saw Rocket To The Moon which I also loved - especially Jessica Raine who was just sensational. No incidents for my performance though.

Also caught Umbrellas of Cherbourg which was charming enough to overcome my doubts about the quality of some of the cast. Michel LeGrand's music was, to my ears, pure heaven.

This week I head back to Los Angeles which, just at the moment, seems to be a theatrical Sahara.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#8
Posted: 3/28/11 at 7:23am
Totally agree about Jessica Raine, Joseph Milson as Ben Stark was also fantastic I thought.

As a fan I'd have loved to see more of Keeley Hawes-does anyone know if this is the theatre she's done? There was nothing at all listed in her bio.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#9
Posted: 3/28/11 at 8:15am
I noticed that about Keeley Hawes who was also quite excellent, especially in the second act. This might be her theatrical debut!
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#10
Posted: 3/28/11 at 8:40am
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg: Not really my cup of tea, largely because I didn't much care for the music. Very nice to look at, though.

Betty Blue Eyes: There's some work to do yet (this was the second preview), but what they've got so far is great fun. Sarah Lancashire is superb and the songs are catchy.

The Kissing-Dance: I loved this. Witty and charming, and the actor-musicianship worked so well I hardly even thought about it. Updating it to the Edwardian era was an inspired choice. Great cast with Beverley Klein a notable scene-stealer.

Flare Path: Hmm. I should mention that I was in the upper circle and sat next to one of the most irritating audience members ever, so maybe that coloured my judgement a little. I was a bit disappointed. I had quite high expectations and they weren't met. Not bad at all, and I enjoyed the second half a lot, it just wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped.

Cause Celebre: This is dividing people a lot and I can see why, but I thought it was great. Anne-Marie Duff and Niamh Cusack are superb (the latter is playing a fictitious, but very typcially Rattigan-esque role), as is the supporting cast. I've got a bit of a weakness for courtroom drama, so I loved those scenes, Nicholas Jones in particular being very good. Cast includes Edward Fox's son, Derek Jacobi's partner and Benedict Cumberbatch's dad.

The Harvest: This was a rehearsed reading of an Eastern European play about apples. It is close to impossible to describe why this was as hilarious and entertaining as it was, but the friend I went with had a pretty good go: http://oughttobeclowns.blogspot.com/2011/03/not-review-harvest-royal-court.html

This coming week: Rocket to the Moon, The Holy Rosenbergs, Honest and Mogadishu.
Updated On: 3/28/11 at 08:40 AM
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back (26/03/2011)#11
Posted: 3/28/11 at 8:53am
Mallardo-seems to be, I can't seem to find anything else she's done. The second act, Belle's confrontation of Ben was very strong,(in my case Keeley was so strong she broke the door Week forward/back (26/03/2011) )

It's also very early in the run, and this seems like a play she and all the others could really 'grow' into so maybe worth a second visit...