Page: 1

Week forward/back...

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#1
Posted: 3/10/11 at 6:14pm
We haven't done one of these for a while, and it's nearly the WEEKEND! Week forward/back...

What have you seen this week/are going to see next week?

This week I saw Elaine Paige in Concert at the Wales Millenium Centre, Cardiff and next week I'm seeing "The History Boys" at the Cardiff New Theatre.
Updated On: 3/10/11 at 06:14 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#2
Posted: 3/10/11 at 6:24pm
A bit of a lull with me. No theatre at all last week. Next week will be at St Paul's Church, Covent Garden on Thursday night for the Workin Process concert of new musical theatre writing with 4 songs from 2 of my shows in the programme. (And of course the week after that the lull will be very much at an end with my trip to New York!)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#2
Posted: 3/10/11 at 6:25pm
Good luck with the showcase, Bob!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#3
Posted: 3/10/11 at 6:33pm
Thanks. It's being covered by StageLeftPod so there will be a podcast and hopefully some videos to upload at some point so with any luck those who can't get there next thursday will get a chance to see and hear some great new musical theatre songs (and I don't just mean mine LOL - there are lots of great songwriters with work on show that night.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 3/10/11 at 06:33 PM
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Week forward/back...#4
Posted: 3/10/11 at 6:40pm
Well...this week,

Wizard of Oz on Tuesday night, which was Sophie Evans opening night, despite Sophie Being completely wonderful, the show for me however was just a very expensive pantomime, quite enjoyed Marvels new song and "red shoes blues" but the other new additional songs were awful, and michael crawfords bring me the broomstick was the most horrendous song to end an act ive ever heard. (might I just add hes getting his money incredibly easy, all his wizard parts were 'clicked'..do they really think we still believe he can sing like that after croaking his way thru the wonders of the world...I think not), the design albeit pretty spectacular reeks of panto, which the kids but IMO the show hasn't been marketed for kids as such as I was shocked at the lack of kids in the audience... But hey we digress... 3/5

Saw the (heavily comped) matinee of umbrellas of Cherbourg yesterday....didn't know what to expect as I've never seen the film. Highlights meow meow as Lola...I was skeptical of her as I'm nit a massive fan of burlesque however. Thought she was wonderful and her interludes were splendid...the star of the show tho for me was the abosultely STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL design...can't think of anyway to describe it other than that. However, and thsis a rather large however, the score was possibly the most forgetful drabbest thing I've ever heard, apart from the really well known theme, the whole thing is sung in recitative and I said to my friends I was watching with...if Pinter wrote a musical...this would be it..pinter pauses ever other line and it really did bore the arse off me. That said, the second half was much stronger than the first and the cinematic feel was wonderful and the end was one of those goosebumps moment...as much as I enjoyed it, I really can't see this sticking around long - a show I'd recommend to friends but couldn't sit through it again... 4/5

As for next week,i have nothing planned yet tho I'd love to catch Betty blue eyes as I'm very excited about this one!
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Week forward/back...#5
Posted: 3/10/11 at 6:41pm
Oops double post
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
Updated On: 3/10/11 at 06:41 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#6
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:15pm
I saw Wicked for the first time in over a year last week! Show is in great shape! Also saw Elaine Paige last Friday, Flare Path Saturday and Sign of the times on Tuesday this week (wasn't too keen on that one).

I'm at Ruby Wax at the Menier on Saturday, then next week I'll probably not be seeing anything as I'm gonna be very busy with my college show (Playing Cinderella's Prince in Into the Woods!)

Next Sat taking my dad to see Spelling Bee and Umbrellas of Cherbourg :)
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back...#7
Posted: 3/11/11 at 3:29am
This week saw The naked truth and i can't imagine anything knocking that from the top of my worst of the year list. I didn't have high expectations and it did give a few laughs but in general was terrible.

Non theatre saw The wonderstuff and the levellers which was brilliant.

Nothing until the end of the month now.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#8
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:45am
The Children's Hour (day seat)

The four leading ladies excellent, the "children" (20-somethings in pinafores) less so. Blame the direction.

In A Forest Dark and Deep (TKTS)

Strong play, strong performances. Very intense.

Flare Path (day seat)

Sensationally good. Sheridan Smith simply wonderful.

Next week, hopefully, Clybourne Park and maybe Cause Celebre just starting previews.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#9
Posted: 3/11/11 at 2:39pm
I saw the very good and imaginative 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg' on Tuesday, tomorrow i am hitting the regions and travelling down to Woking to see 'Chess' for the first time, however I have listened to various cast recordings and love the music.
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back...#10
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:45pm
Ooh! Chess is fantastic, POL have fun!

Haven't seen anything since Last 5 Years in Feb Half term

Next week shall be seeing Danny Boyle's Frankenstein via National Theatre Live!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back...#11
Posted: 3/12/11 at 3:51am
Had a bit of a West End bonanza last week:

Wizard of Oz - I really enjoyed some of the lead performances (particularly Hannah Waddingham, Danielle Hope & Emily Tierney) - and the whole production looks absolutely gorgeous, especially from the upper level(s)... Oh, and the dog was quite cute I suppose! I have to agree with Clark_MD about 'Bring Me The Broomstick' - not really a very pleasant song to close the 1st Act with. A pity they cut 'As Good As Home' which was my favourite new song from the preview I saw - a lovely, melodic number with swelling orchestrations and soaring voices.

The Children's Hour - had a great view from a bargainous front row day seat. I found it a very absorbing piece of theatre (aside from Byrony Hannah's occasional descent into histrionics as Mary). More impressed by Keira Knightley than I was expecting to be.

Ordinary Days - I absolutely loved this. Four very strong performances, with Alexia Khadime perhaps the slight standout for her comedic turn. But Julie Atherton reduced me to tears with one of her numbers. Really glad I got to see a strong cast perform such an emotionally resonant new musical piece in an intimate venue. Were it still open I'd 100% recommend it.

The Last 5 Years - this didn't resonate with me in quite the same way and I found it a little disappointing. Maybe it's because I wasn't drawn into the concerns of the characters, especially the unsympathetic Jamie. I have to give credit to Lauren Samuels for the power of her vocals though (perhaps too powerful at times in such a small venue). An imaginatively staged production too.

No shows lined up now till the end of next week, when it will be all systems go for (hopefully) 1-2 shows a day in New York for a few days - then Betty Blue Eyes not long after I get back.
Seen some shows in my time....
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Week forward/back...#12
Posted: 3/12/11 at 8:45am
The week back!

Antony and Cleopatra at the Swan. Katy Stephens a very welcome Cleo, Darrell D'Silva still not hitting it as Ant. A slight rejig of the supporting cast (and a male Eros XD) and it was on the whole rather good.

Goodnight Mister Tom on tour. Nice puppet work. Oliver Ford Davies absolutely perfect. Some depth of the book missing but otherwise a faithful production.

Flare Path at the TRH. Just brilliant, guys. Go now!

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at the Donmar. Very funny and entertaining. Shame about that buffoon who couldn't spell "negligence"... Week forward/back...

Alice's Adventures in Wnoderland at the Royal Opera House. I'm not a dance person so don't have anything useful to say, but I did enjoy it.

Richard II at the Tobacco Factory. Words fail me. What a great production! :3

Mogadishu at the Lyric Hammersmith. Brilliant. Intense stuff and ridiculously well-performed.

The week ahead!

Cause Celebre, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and Betty Blue Eyes. Could be fun!
beagle Profile Photobeagle Profile Photo
beagle
Stand-by
Stand-by
Week forward/back...#13
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:37pm
I had a great theatre trip to London last week, and saw four shows--The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Days, End of the Rainbow and The Last Five years. I also saw the touring production of The Sound of Music in Stoke-On-Trent. Mini-reviews are here on my blog:

http://snoopmk.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/a-marvelous-trip-uk-theatre/
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Week forward/back...#14
Posted: 3/13/11 at 12:54pm
Last week (and a bit). My busiest theatre week ever, actually.

Antony and Cleopatra: What Weez said, though it was my first time seeing this production or play. Enjoyed it a lot, but Cleo seemed a lot more infatuated with Tony than he with her. Strong production, I thought.

Our Private Life: Hmm. Very well-acted, but not really a play that held my interest.

Vernon God Little: Liked this a lot. Didn't think I was going to for the first ten minutes or so, but after that quickly got into it. Superb performance from newcomer Joseph Drake.

The Tempest: My first Tempest, and it was in Russian. Very good-looking cast & some homoeroticisim between Ferdinand and Ariel that was... unexpected, to say the least. Fascinating production, beautifully done, but I do wish I'd seen the play in English first.

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee: A lot of fun. I had so much fun on stage as a speller that I don't even care that I can't spell "negligence", and frankly I was relieved to get off stage before the dancing.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: SCARIEST F***ING CHESHIRE CAT EVER. Like Weez, I'm not a dance person, but I enjoyed this a lot and the dancing and staging was superb. And the hot male lead is, I discovered reading the programme, the same age as me (20) - simultaneously impressed and depressed by that.

Richard II: My third "new" Shakespeare of the week and what a great production it was. Absolutely clear and straight-forward, also thriling and moving. John Heffernan simply superb, and the 200 minutes flew by.

(Yes, Weez and I have been stalking each other quite a lot this past week.)

Company: Loved.

Winterlong: Depressing, often needlessly so, and quite shockingly grim. Yet beautifully written. Glad I saw it.

Next week: In a Forest Dark and Deep, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and going to check out the new RST with performances of King Lear and Romeo and Juliet - my third time and third theatre for the latter.