Page: 1

Broadway, 'South Pacific' To Bring A Ray Of Sunshine To London

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway, 'South Pacific' To Bring A Ray Of Sunshine To London
The multi Tony Award winning Lincoln Centre production of the classic Broadway musical, 'South Pacific' will have its UK premier this summer.

'South Pacific' will open at the Barbican Centre, London.

Opening 15th August 2011.
Closing 1st October 2011.
A national tour will then commence and visit Milton Keynes, Manchester, Glasgow and Bristol.
The Barbican will then again becomes its home for a second limited season in 2012.

Bartlett Sher's production, which won seven Tony Awards including Best Musical Revival, will star Samantha Womack as Nellie Forbush.

The 1949 Rogers and Hammerstein musical was last seen in the West End ten years ago when it was revived by Trevor Nunn at the National Theatre.

The New York revival starred Kelli O'Hara as nurse Nellie Forbush and Tony winner Paulo Szot as Emile DeBecque.

Musical staging by Christopher Gattelli.
Musical director, Ted Sperling.
Sets are by Michael Yeargan.
Costumes by Catherine Zuber.
Original orchestrations by Robert Russell Bennett.

Casting will be all UK artistes and will be announced in full within the coming weeks.

UK Tour 2011/12.
Milton Keynes Theatre - Milton Keynes
12 October 2011 to 22 October 2011

Palace Theatre - Manchester
25 October 2011 to 05 November 2011

Theatre Royal - Glasgow
08 November 2011 to 19 November 2011

Hippodrome - Bristol
22 November 2011 to 03 December 2011

Birmingham Cardiff and Liverpool are expected to be added to the tour before it returns to London.

Updated On: 3/1/11 at 10:39 AM
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Isn't Samantha Womack/Janus doing this........... or did I make that up???!!!?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL
She is and its in the piece above.

Its a shame it wont be staged the way it was in New York with the full thrust stage. Its playing conventional houses on its tour so it will be a back to basics regular staging sadly.
The US tour got OK reviews but they all mentioned the re staging of it for conventional theatres.

I'd like to see it again, I saw it on a freezing cold New York night about a year ago and loved it. I'm not a great lover of these creaky old musicals but it is/was a stunning production.
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Ha, I just totally didn't read that bit. Fair enough.

theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow, this has taken a long time to transfer. Saw it back in 2008 at the Lincoln Center. A very traditional production - will be interested to see how it does here.
Sleeper2 Profile PhotoSleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The north American tour, which is just now winding down in Toronto, got RAVE reviews in every city it played. The thrust stage is amazing in this production but it holds up well without it.

Any other casting announced?
tytonius
Understudy
Understudy
I really hope they had enough money to bring Paulo Szot ...
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, I don't really want to settle for less than a full on classical baritone singing that beautiful score.
JOak Profile PhotoJOak Profile Photo
JOak
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
It's not about the money they can't get Paulo Szot. It's because he's an opera singer, and their schedules are usually done with months in advance.
tytonius
Understudy
Understudy
I still think it's about the money... I am sure that Paulo is booked until 2016 or so.
but with a great offer he would consider canceling some of his contracts. He llloves South Pacific. He always mentions it as the best think in his life and for us, there's nothing like him as Emile de Becque.
I am sure if they'd offer him a great fee he would do it :), frankly
peachesr
Stand-by
Stand-by
Staging issues aside, I'm really pleased they've finally got round to bringing this over. Not sure about the Samantha Womak casting, I know she's done musicals before and things though. I sort of fell in love with Kelli O'Hara unfortunately. It is a great production though and I love what Bartlett Sher did with it.
theeatah Profile Phototheeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Does Womack have the vocal chops for it?

I was hoping for Anna Jane Casey.

As for Emile, has any major English-language production had a French actor in the role?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Womak/Janus has a pretty good history in musical theatre.
I worked with her on a short tour of 'Grease' in the late 80s that actually played a week the Hammersmith Apollo and she was a bloody good Sandy. A damn sight better than a lot that have played the part recently.
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw her in Grease with Shane Ritchie at the Dominion and she was great. This isnt bad casting at all.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
theeatah - in the 1988 West End revival, de Becque was played by Emile Belcourt, a French Canadian opera singer. That's about the closest to an actual Frenchman that I can recall in the role.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Elke Profile PhotoElke Profile Photo
Elke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Paulo Szot is doing Carmen at the San Francisco Opera from November 6 to December 4. So, depending on how much rehearsal time he needs for that production, they could bring him in for the West End run. Unless he has another production planned for that period, but I believe not.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually I was not exactly that keen on Paulo Szot at Lincoln Center. Vocally he was fantastic but I thought his acting was pretty wooden - in contrast to Kelli O'Hara who was amazing in every way.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this when it was in its initial 12 week engagement and thought it wonderful. I do think that much of its charm was due to the staging at Lincoln Centre which could only be equalled on The Olivier stage rather than at The Barbican. My return visit would entirely depend on some appropriate and imaginative casting.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw Samantha Womack when she was in Grease and thought she was very good, she's did Guys and Dolls a few years ago, there are a lot of actors who the general public dont suspect can sing and dance like Nigel Harman or Jessie Wallace, the latter who was amazing in a biopic of Marie Lloyd a few years back.

nycmusical
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Paulo Szot is fantastic! I cannot imagine another Emile de Becque.
I saw Pittsinger( no sexappeal), Gilfry( very weird and scary voice and figure) and unfortunately Michaels( no comments).

....believe me Paulo is the man. If they really want this to succeed they need Paulo.
A Tony Award Guy . Come on!
But, there's one little detail...he is booked until 2014... 3 next season at the Metropolitan Opera....Paris, Japan, Aix en Provence...The Carlyle...
I really don't know if SP at this point would work for him.

mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, I agree Szot was great in the role. I can't imagine it being better played or sung.

But the real question is the orchestra - that amazing moment at the Beaumont when the stage pulled back midway through the overture to reveal that 30 piece band would be hard to duplicate anywhere else.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats exactly what I mean, that whole spectacle will be lost in the UK production. It will now be nothing more than a bog standard touring production.
vf
Stand-by
Stand-by
Any word on the South Pacific movie?