London - Get ready to ROCK!!

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#1
Posted: 2/24/11 at 5:45am
September 26 2011!

All over twitter that Rock of Ages will open at the Shaftesbury on September 26th this year! And about time too!! This is gonna be huge with the movie about to go into production, it will get a massive boost!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#2
Posted: 2/24/11 at 5:57am
Yawn!

Seriously, I'm pleased for the fans who like the show and will enjoy it. But I'm not enough of a masochist to force myself to see this one. lol In fact I'm praying I don't have any friends ending up in the cast coz it would be stretching the call of duty too far for me to go and support them in this.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#2
Posted: 2/24/11 at 6:10am
I can safely say bob that this show is so much better than Million Dollar Quartet! Please give it a try! I was one of the people against this show when it first opened, I thought ugh not another jukebox musical. How wrong I was it is fun fun fun from the word go! I've seen it twice already and can't imagine how many times I'll see it in London
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#3
Posted: 2/24/11 at 6:35am
Sorry, Mark but I've listened to songs from the score and it's the kind of music that would make me lose the will to live. My musical tastes are pretty eclectic but this kind of stuff does my head in.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#4
Posted: 2/24/11 at 8:19am
Im sorry Mark and dont mean any offense to you (coz u know i love you), but this is one of the dumbest shows ive seen. The book is daft and it seems to be aimed at people who have no idea what a musical is. It's just another Mamma Mia with lots of long hair and denim. Im sure it will do pretty well here if they can match it up with the movie release, but i for one wont be going.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#5
Posted: 2/24/11 at 9:36am
Wow...out of all the bloody things they could have transferred!

Still, I think it'll be another Broadway transfer to be hugely successful at the Shaftesbury after Hairspray, which opened under similar circumstances with the movie etc.

I do think they should cast a bit of a name though - like they did with Hairspray (and ROA on Broadway) - maybe an X-Factor contestant or something?

P.S Can't believe I'm making such suggestions!
Zenobia Profile PhotoZenobia Profile Photo
Zenobia
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#6
Posted: 2/24/11 at 10:16am
I thought it was a fun show and had a good time on Broadway - but I wish it would come at a different time when London wasn't quite so over-saturated with jukebox musicals. It would be a good replacement if/when WWRY finally closes and half a dozen other jukebox musicals disappear. But right now it'll only be "Dear Gods another jukebox musical, noooo!" which is a shame as it's so much fun. But I guess others will say the same about shows I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, like MDQ.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#7
Posted: 2/24/11 at 12:03pm
I am not disappointed that ROA is coming over, just disappointed it is going in the Shaftsbury, hoping something better would go in there, such as Me and My Girl (once rumoured), Rebecca (virtually confirmed, then ruled out), Matilta or Chess.

I would of thought ROA would be better going into the Aldwych or Garrick or Playhouse.

SADM comments on other threads, “that London cannot do a original musical anymore” resonates even more now.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#8
Posted: 2/24/11 at 3:12pm
The book is daft and it seems to be aimed at people who have no idea what a musical is. It's just another Mamma Mia with lots of long hair and denim.

Wow, I could not disagree more. I know exactly what a musical is and I found Rock of Ages to be wildly entertaining. The only thing it has in common with Mamma Mia is being a jukebox musical. Otherwise, they bear no resemblance whatsoever. The style of the show is less realistic and more tongue-in-cheek self-aware camp, like Xanadu or Urinetown. I've seen it twice and I'd go again. While I didn't care for all the original songs back in the 80s, I love each and every one of them in the show.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#9
Posted: 2/24/11 at 3:20pm
Ramin Karimloo mentioned in his latest video blog another big announcement to come, wonder if it could be this? He has the voice for it, but dont know if there is a role for him in it, I dont know the show well enough
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#10
Posted: 2/24/11 at 5:26pm
That would make me cry.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#11
Posted: 2/24/11 at 8:19pm
'The style of the show is less realistic and more tongue-in-cheek self-aware camp, like Xanadu or Urinetown'

You thought Mamma Mia was realistic? lol

I LOVE Xanadu and Urinetown, i would not put ROA anywhere near them. Just my opinion

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#12
Posted: 2/24/11 at 9:12pm
What a fcuking waste of a major West End house!
Shocking news for musical theatre.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#13
Posted: 2/24/11 at 10:08pm
This is those who are too sophisticated and classy for WE WILL ROCK YOU (take that anyway you want). It will run years.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#14
Posted: 2/25/11 at 7:08am
I actually enjoyed We Will Rock You - saw it ages ago with Hannah Jane Fox as Scaramouche and she was awesome. And the current principals (Ricardo Afonso & Sarah French) are pretty fantastic too, worth a visit to the show just for their performances. In fact the alternate Galileo, Ross Hunter, is an incredibly brilliant performer.

Updated On: 2/25/11 at 07:08 AM
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#15
Posted: 2/25/11 at 7:35am
Rock of Ages is brilliant. Satirical, camp, hilarious. Don't compare it to WWRY - it's jukebox but good jukebox, with a clever script and a great flow. I came across Wesley Taylor from the original cast when trawling Youtube, who has a wonderful voice, and determined to see it when I was in New York. I enjoyed it so much that I went back on my final evening there to see it again...

I do worry about it working here, and about the curse of the Shaftesbury - and that it might be too big a theatre - but I can happily say it's one of my favourite musicals ever and is probably the most played thing on my iPod!
Updated On: 2/25/11 at 07:35 AM
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#16
Posted: 2/25/11 at 7:47am
After reading some of the love/praise for ROA on here, I decided to go take another listen to the clips from the album on the official show website just in case I'd made a hasty decision to steer clear of it. I'm afraid that, after listening to the song clips I feel I'm ready to throw myself under a speeding train rather than suffer through anymore of it lol.

I appreciate that many people love this kind of music and will therefore also love the show but it's just not "me".
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#17
Posted: 2/25/11 at 10:47am
You thought Mamma Mia was realistic?

Stylistically, Mamma Mia was written with a realistic narrative. It's musical comedy, but not intentional camp or satire. I loved Xanadu, but I thought Rock of Ages to the idea and pushed it further into a better show.

bob - Funny thing is, I tried to play the CD for my mother and she didn't want to hear it. Said it gave her a headache. She's 65 and it wasn't her era. I took her to see the tour and she LOVED it. Now she listens to the CD all the time.

What a fcuking waste of a major West End house!
Shocking news for musical theatre.

Because West End houses should be reserved for...Thriller Live? All the Fun at the Fair? What is so shocking about a hit Broadway musical transferring to the West End? Rock of Ages is loads better than Shrek.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#18
Posted: 2/25/11 at 10:56am
I like most styles/genres of music and from all eras - and I actually LOVE lots of Rock music. Basically I love any music if I think it's good music. I just don't think the music in ROA is particulartly good rock music. But, hell - what do I know? lol I guess I just like what I like.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - Get ready to ROCK!!#19
Posted: 2/25/11 at 1:25pm
Casting suggestions anyone? I'd love to see Brenda Edwards take on Justice.