Page: 1

First London theatre trip of 2011

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#1
Posted: 2/10/11 at 6:48pm
Right - now all set for my first London theatre trip of the year. Off tomorrow for a packed weekend - Million Dollar Quartet tomorrow night; Saturday morning off to Dress Circle to hear 4 songs with my lyrics being performed in-store prior to the More With Every Line album signing; Saturday afternoon - Company at the Southwark Playhouse; and Saturday night - The Last Five Years at the Tabard Theatre. Will post a report after I get back home.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#2
Posted: 2/13/11 at 3:53pm
So - here are my views on the 3 shows I saw this weekend:
MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET: Can't believe how much I enjoyed this! The music is not really my cup of tea to be honest but the show has five of the best performances anywhere in the West End. And I think I just saw one of next years's Olivier winning performances: Ben Goddard as Jerry Lee Lewis is sen-f***ing-sational!

COMPANY: One of Sondheim's greatest shows IMO - and this is a fantastic production of it. Fabulously staged and performed. All the performances are from the top drawer, with the absolute standouts being the amazing Cassidy Janson as Amy and Siobhan McCarthy as Joanne (her Ladies Who Lunch was awesome).

THE LAST FIVE YEARS: One of the all-time greatest scores IMO but it has to be performed well to work (saw an awful production of it at the Fringe a few years ago). And the production at the Tabard is A-MA-ZING! Lauren Samuels and Christopher Pym are both breathtakingly brilliant.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 2/13/11 at 03:53 PM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#2
Posted: 2/13/11 at 3:57pm
How was Lauren's "A Part of That", Bob? Glad you enjoyed all three!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#3
Posted: 2/13/11 at 4:01pm
How was Lauren's "A Part of That", Bob?

One word - stunning!
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#4
Posted: 2/13/11 at 4:30pm
I've been curious about The Last Five Years production and now I guess I'll be going along to see it.

It was great to meet you at Dress Circle, Bob. The turnout, as you noted in the other thread, was amazing, the placed was jammed. And the performers were all wonderful. I'm loving the CD, btw. Now we're waiting for the next one. Congrats!
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#5
Posted: 2/13/11 at 6:16pm
Really shocked you enjoyed Million Dollar Quartet! Didn't think it would be your sort of thing.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#6
Posted: 2/13/11 at 6:24pm
Neither did I, Mark! lol

As I said, it was the performances that blew me away. It's certainly not the kind of music I enjoy listening too and no way will I be buying the album. As I told Fran when I met her after the show, there's no way I would have gone to see it if she were not in it but I ended up being glad I did.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#7
Posted: 2/13/11 at 6:39pm
It seems to be doing well that is the thing. Was it full when you went?
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#8
Posted: 2/13/11 at 6:40pm
It seems to be doing well that is the thing. Was it full when you went?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
First London theatre trip of 2011#9
Posted: 2/13/11 at 6:55pm
It was absolutely packed - pretty sure it was fully sold out - certainly could not see an empty seat. And there was a universal standing ovation with everyone going really wild in their applause. I sense they have a smash on their hands.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
First London theatre trip of 2011#10
Posted: 2/14/11 at 5:15am
Glad you enjoyed and that the Dress Circle event was a success!

I wouldn't have thought Million Dollar... was my thing either but maybe I have to re-think that! The new Jersey Boys maybe?

I wish I had chance to see 'Company' my favourite Sondheim by far and I'd love to see Cassidy Janson sing that-saw her in 'Tick Tick Boom' years ago and loved her and haven't managed to see her in anything since!

I love The Last Five Years too so I am very jealous you managed to see that too First London theatre trip of 2011
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/