Page: 1

Billy No Mates.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#1
Posted: 1/25/11 at 12:02pm
Why is going to the theatre by yourself a no-go?
Not many would admit to enjoying solitary theatre trips. But this year I've decided to go it alone and am loving every minute!

The Guardian 25th Jan 2011
Emma love

Who knows, you might be seated beside a handsome stranger on your lone foray into the stalls.
It's not often in life that we do things alone eating out in a restaurant or going to the cinema, or on holiday. We can just about manage a gym session on our own, although even then I've heard of couples taking circuit-training classes together. But why? What's wrong with occasionally going solo?

There are always films on at the cinema I want to watch that my friends have already seen, or plays none of them are interested in. Sometimes I'm just too impatient, and can't face the hassle of trying to compare diaries to find a Monday night in the next two months when a group of us might all be able to make it (by which time the show will probably have sold out anyway). I like to book quickly, and my bank balance means that I always opt for the cheapest seats something not all my friends are happy about. Yet for whatever reason (worrying about looking like a loser, perhaps?) I'm often put off venturing out on my own unless I have to. Or I have been in the past. This year, though, I've decided that if there's a show or film I want to see I'll go and see it regardless.

So far, it's going well. In fact, three weeks in and two shows down specifically, the English National Ballet's Romeo and Juliet and The Knowledge at the Bush it's turning into a joy. First, there was my solo seat in the balcony at the Coliseum, where sitting next to me was a smartly dressed man in his 30s, also alone, there simply because he was desperate to see Nureyev's choreography. Then at the opening night of The Knowledge I got chatting in the interval to my friendly neighbour, who turned out to be the sister of one of the actors on stage.

Apart from striking up unexpected conversations with strangers something we hardly ever do when ensconced among friends the theatre is the perfect people-watching venue. From excited schoolchildren to whispering couples or the orchestra tuning up in the pit, there's been an endless array of things to keep you entertained, even when the curtain's down.
It's nice to have some solitary time and once the show starts everyone's having an individual experience anyway. The only downside is the lack of post-show discussion on the way home, but I can live with that. Of course, I'm not saying I'm never going to the theatre or cinema with friends again but now, at least, I know there's nothing wrong with going it alone.
Updated On: 1/25/11 at 12:02 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#2
Posted: 1/25/11 at 12:37pm
Hell - if I waited around to have someone else to go to the theatre with me every time, I'd never see anything LOL. Frankly, though it's nice to have company when I go out sometimes, I've never been able to work out why anyone needs someone else sitting next to them to be able to sit and enjoy a show or play. If you're engrossed in the piece you shouldn;t even be aware of who's sitting nexst to you (unless it's some juvenile pillock with his or her head in a phone every ten seconds lol).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#2
Posted: 1/25/11 at 12:48pm
I go by myself quite a lot. I like to book the new NT season as soon as they go on sale and none of my friends can really commit that far ahead (or have an entry pass, no matter how many times I tell them!!)

I have started to go more and more with other people now, especially so far this year (off to Love Story with 5 friends tonight, and was at Blood Brothers last night with 3 other friends). It's always nice to see a show with other people to discuss it on the way home!
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Billy No Mates.#3
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:17pm
i love going to the theatre alone, i can never discuss what i've seen directly after a show anyway so i don't miss that, plus your open to meeting more like minded people and learning more, at both Piaf and Aspects of Love i had lovely conversations with people i otherwise would never had met!
Zenobia Profile PhotoZenobia Profile Photo
Zenobia
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Billy No Mates.#4
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:28pm
What's this "discussing the show afterwards when you go with friends" I read about?

Seriously. All too often the "post-show discussion" is a grunted "Yea, it was nice" and that's it, which is pretty frustrating. I had that only recently after dragging a friend to see Priscilla, which I really wanted her to like and I got hardly anything except "Yea, lots of fun" out of her. On the other hand, I hadn't even expected her to like "Birdsong" and got two long discussions on World War I with her immediately afterwards and the next day, lol.

When I'm alone I just tend to write reviews in my brain and look forward to talking about the show with other theatre lovers later. And I feel genuine pity for all of these people who don't manage to do something on their own and have to miss out on so much.
Fabala Fae Profile PhotoFabala Fae Profile Photo
Fabala Fae
Swing
Swing
Billy No Mates.#5
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:46pm
I've gone to the theatre by myself a few times, and I always end up chatting to someone at some point. Sometimes I actually prefer being by myself, and just taking the intermission to collect my thoughts, and think about what I've just watched.

Alternatively, I've never been to the cinema by myself. I'm not the biggest movie-goer anyway, but I think if a film came out I reallly wanted to see, and no one I know wanted to go, I probably would, but I see the cinema as more of a social thing..
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Billy No Mates.#6
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:53pm
I tend to either go on my own or take 25 Scouts along. Not much in between!
I have no problem going on my own, I can then remove myself even more from the real world and join the imaginary world the actors are in. I took a friend to Lord of the Rings, which I had already seen twice and loved, and she hated it. I wasn't sure what to say.
A lot of my friends think it odd that I am happy to do these activities alone (I will also glady go to a theme park solo) but don't seem to see the other time when a few of us plan something for ages and it falls apart at the last minute.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#7
Posted: 1/25/11 at 3:30pm
Most of y theatre is done solo, as mostly it is arranged at the last minute.

There was a time when I wouldn't go by myself and as a consequence missed many good shows, something now I regret.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#8
Posted: 1/25/11 at 5:16pm
I love going by myself.
Chatting to people around, in the bar etc.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#9
Posted: 1/25/11 at 5:45pm
" What's this "discussing the show afterwards when you go with friends" I read about? "

Aah now when you go with a bunch of Musical Theatre students there is usually something to discuss :). I don't mind going by myself, but thinking about it it's nice to share the experience with someone.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#10
Posted: 1/25/11 at 5:59pm
I frequently attend the theatre by myself but never feel lonely as I always, without fail, end up having the most stimulating conversations with my neighbours who, after all, share my love of theatre to begin with. I've even gone on for drinks after a show with people I met when taking my seat.

I also met one of my very best friends while standing in line waiting to go into a show around six years ago!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#11
Posted: 1/25/11 at 7:45pm
None of my friends even like the theatre.
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 07:45 PM
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Billy No Mates.#12
Posted: 1/26/11 at 8:21am
alterego-that's my problem since moving back to Wales!

I've never had a problem going it alone, and sometimes I'd rather go alone than risk dragging someone along who was going to hate it!

I used to go to the cinema a fair bit alone, but have all but stopped bothering to go to the cinema at all now so only when it's a social 'thing' do I bother!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#13
Posted: 1/26/11 at 11:57am
I have no problem going by myself at all. My group of friends is mainly festival lovers and punks... i stand out lol. When i was 18 and again at 19 i went to NYC by myself and LOVED it. I'd reccomend doing it to anyone. I saw everything i wanted to see and more and didn't have to compromise. Then i went with my mates for a mates holiday. Best of both worlds.
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Billy No Mates.#14
Posted: 1/26/11 at 1:53pm
In general I prefer to go to plays alone, as generally I'll be in a cheapseat and wouldn't want the worry of them not liking the view, also when it's something that's likely to be popular I like to book at the beginning and have date flexibility to get a good cheapseat.

For musicals I'm happier to go with friends and do so more frequently.
But I'd not miss a show/film/concert/anything just because I didn't have anyone to go with.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#15
Posted: 1/26/11 at 2:54pm
It's also a lot easier to get a good single seat last minute than two together!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#16
Posted: 1/26/11 at 3:53pm
Im normally with someone but do like going on my own as well
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#17
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:07pm
Anyone in town this Saturday for an evening performance or at least a pre show drinkie!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#18
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:49pm
I wish mama.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#19
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:51pm
Sorry, not in London again until Feb 11 sadly.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Salene Profile PhotoSalene Profile Photo
Salene
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy No Mates.#21
Posted: 1/28/11 at 5:30pm
Have been to theatre many times on my own and as already said on here, much easier to get a decent ticket to top selling shows. Enjoy!