Page: 1

Baby! Broadway Gets Yet Another Jukebox Musical!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Tony Award-winning actress Beth Leavel will star as late recording industry pioneer Florence Greenberg in the new Broadway musical 'Baby It's You!'

Previews begin on March 26th at the Broadhurst Theatre.
Official opening night is April 27th.

'Baby It's You!', which tells the true-life story of a New Jersey housewife who discovered the all-girl group the Shirelles and became a driving force in the music business, has a book by 2010 Tony Award nominees Floyd Mutrux and Colin Escott, who co-wrote 'Broadway's Million Dollar Quartet'.

Mutrux will co-direct with Sheldon Epps, the artistic director of the Pasadena Playhouse, where 'Baby It's You!' played a 2009 developmental run.
The jukebox musical uses the Shirelles' catalogue for its score.

Updated On: 1/24/11 at 12:27 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This will start previews while I'll be in New York in March. I've already booked all the shows I can possibly fit in during my trip. Normally I'd be gutted to find out a new show was going to open while I'm there and I'd have to miss it through not knowing about it in time. But missing this one ain't gonna bother me at all lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It will be great on CD.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well I won't be buying that either lol. It's the kind of music that I can't stand listening to for more than about ten seconds.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 1/24/11 at 12:55 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Your era! Big hair, big shoes, tight skirts!!!!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Crap music was never my era, darling. lol
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh i quite like that music, its camp as tits lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Pass
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Being the sad person I am, I'd be genuinely intrigued by this - but not in London, PLEASE! xD
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw it last year at the Pasadena Playhouse and I am astonished it's actually getting another production never mind going to Broadway. There are no words...
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, well if it's THAT bad...!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The new Broadway musical 'Baby It’s You!' tells the story of Florence Greenberg, the woman who changed the recording world forever when she discovered The Shirelles and created Scepter Records, becoming the music industry’s first female powerhouse.
Broadhurst Theatre, New York.
Opening 27th April 2011
Previews from 26th March 2011.

Tony Award winner Beth Leavel stars as 'Greenberg.

Conceived by Floyd Mutrux.
Directed by Floyd Mutrux and Sheldon Epps.
Written by Tony nominated book writers Mutrux and Colin Escott, the team behind Broadway’s 'Million Dollar Quartet'.

'Baby It’s You!' features a cast of 19.

Before Motown and the British Invasion, Florence Greenberg took the male dominated music industry by storm, revolutionizing pop music and becoming the most influential and successful female record company president ever.
After discovering 'The Shirelles,' at her daughter’s high school Greenberg packed the girls in her car, drove across the George Washington Bridge to New York City, and embarked on a journey from New Jersey housewife to record mogul, creating the independent house of hits that was Scepter Records.

Showcasing non-stop doo-wop, pop and rock ‘n’ roll classics such as “Dedicated To The One I Love,” “Duke Of Earl,” “He’s So Fine,” “I Say A Little Prayer,” “It’s My Party,” “Louie Louie,” “Mama Said,” “Shout,” “Sixteen Candles,” “Stop In The Name Of Love,” ‘Twist and Shout” and many more.

'Baby It’s You!' is the true story of how Florence Greenberg launched the careers of The Isley Brothers, B.J. Thomas, The Kingsmen, Chuck Jackson, Burt Bacharach, Hal David, and Dionne Warwick.

Choreographed by Birgitte Mutrux.
Musical direction/conducted by Shelton Becton,
Designed by two time Tony nominee Anna Louizos,
Costume design by Lizz Wolf.

Produced on Broadway by Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures and American Pop Anthology.

The production had its world premiere at California's Pasadena Playhouse where it played an extended engagement from 6 Nov - 20 Dec 2010.