Page: 1

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#1
Posted: 1/14/11 at 5:44am
Yes, it is finally coming and I am looking forward to this especially that Joanne Riding is attached, you don't need me to tell you how much of a fabulous actress she is.

Joanna Riding and cabaret performer Meow Meow will bring Michel Legrand’s lush, romantic musical The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg into the Gielgud Theatre, with previews from March 5 and an official opening night set for March 22.
I’m dying to see it because it’s directed by Emma Rice of the celebrated Kneehigh Theatre company. She was responsible for the brilliant re-interpretation of Noel Coward’s Brief Encounter that ran in the West End recently and in New York.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1346974/Judes-Donmar-dazzler.html#ixzz1B0O7YKuH

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#2
Posted: 1/14/11 at 7:37am
Love Michel Legrand. Love Sheldon Harnick. Love Joanna Riding. So at last - a show coming to the West End that actually excites me!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#2
Posted: 1/14/11 at 7:42am
Are Australian Producers still attached to this?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#3
Posted: 1/14/11 at 11:13am

Kneehigh's production of 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg', by Jacques Demy & Michel Legrand will open in the West End this spring.

Gielgud Theatre, London.
Opening night 22nd March 2011.
Previews from 5th March.
Closing 1st Oct 2011.

Pre West End run at The Curve, Leicester.
11th – 26th February 2011.

Adapted and directed by Emma Rice.
Lyrics are translated by Sheldon Harnick.
Designed by Lez Brotherston.
Musical supervision by Nigel Lilley.

Cast includes:
Joanna Riding as Madame Emery.
Meow Meow as Lola.
Carly Bawden as Genevieve.
Gareth Charlton as The Sailor.

Kneehigh returns to the West End following their 2008 production of 'Brief Encounter' which ran at the Haymarket Cinema and has subsequently toured nationally and internationally and currently wowing them in New York.

Produced by Daniel Sparrow and Mike Walsh Productions, Curve Leicester and City Lights International in association with Be Yu Productions.

Twenty year old French auto mechanic Guy Fouchier has fallen in love with 17-year-old Genevieve Emery, an employee in her widowed mother's chic umbrella shop. On the evening before Guy is to leave for a two-year tour of combat in Algeria, he and Genevieve vow to remain lovers. After discovering she is carrying Guy’s child she must choose between waiting for his return or accepting an offer of marriage from a wealthy diamond merchant.

Updated On: 1/14/11 at 11:13 AM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#4
Posted: 1/14/11 at 5:39pm
With this, Betty Blue Eyes, and a possible transfer of Matilda, I'm actually starting to get interested in West End musicals again for the first time in years... The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#5
Posted: 1/14/11 at 5:57pm
And Ghost!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#6
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:02pm
Thanks for the info mama.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#7
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:09pm
With this, Betty Blue Eyes, and a possible transfer of Matilda, I'm actually starting to get interested in West End musicals again for the first time in years...

100% agreed, saw Dirty Dancing tonight and could see the new frontage for both 'Betty Blue Eyes' and 'Shrek', looked to be very exciting..

Also Rebecca, Me and My Girl and Spelling Bee, happy with the shows opening
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#8
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:12pm
Of all those shows listed, POL, the onlyones that interest me are Umbrellas and Spelling Bee - and I can't get a ticket for SB for love or money!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#9
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:26pm
I have to get my Spelling Bee ticket this week, but will go to the box office instead, tell me when you want a ticket and I see what I can do.

All the sows opening excite me, even Ghost and I got the bonus of never seen the film, same as Dirty Dancing which I saw tonight, I haven't seen the film.

Not to forget Crazy for You.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#10
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:34pm
Thanks POL - but I've already checked with the box office for the dates I'll be in London and it's totally sold out those dates. I'm hoping that maybe I can get to see it sometime in April but I can't work out yet what week in April I'll be able to get to London - and probably what will happen is that by the time I know when I can get there, tickets will be all gone (which is what's already happened with my February and March attempts). Always such a problem for me with shows that have a short run, thus limiting when I can get to see them. Sometimes I hate not living in London!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#11
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:55pm
I wonder why Spelling Bee has sold so well, I mean it is not a well known show over here?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#12
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:03pm
Well, to start with it's at the Donmar and its reputation for quality alone sells tickets. William Finn may not be a household name over here but he has a following, especially after the success of Make Me A Song over here a couple of years ago. And maybe the very fact that it is not known is a plus - there may actually be people who want to see something new!

Personally, I wish no one wanted to see it - then I could get a ticket - j/k lol.

But I'm a bit less peeved now about the prospect of not getting to see Spelling Bee as I've just read that a production of Finn's In Trousers will be on at the Duplex in New York when I'm planning to be there in March! Over the moon!

And with any luck I'll get to see Umbrellas in London before I head to NYC. So it's looking good.
Updated On: 1/14/11 at 09:03 PM
JOak Profile PhotoJOak Profile Photo
JOak
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#13
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:26pm
Really excited for this! I'm sure it will be lovely.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#14
Posted: 1/14/11 at 10:03pm
Its the Donmar POL, small venue, great reputation just like Jermyn street, The Kings Head etc!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#15
Posted: 1/15/11 at 6:38am
Bob: make sure you go back to checking the Donmar website a few days before previews start. Once they've worked out sightlines, they usually release a few extra tickets, so if you're on the ball, you can benefit from this. Sure, the tickets are around the edges, but it's not that big a venue. I got into both Passion and King Lear this way. So keep watching!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#16
Posted: 1/15/11 at 7:21am
Thanks Weez. But I've already booked stuff for the three slots I have during my February visit to London now (after they told me at the Box Office when I called in there in December that it was totally sold out for the whole of February). I'll probably be in London for a night in March before heading to New York but I really want to see Umbrellas that night. I had hoped I might try to get something for Spelling Bee when I'm in London sometime in April. But I just realised that it closes on April 2 and I definitely can't be away that weekend. So it seems I'll have to miss this one. As I said - short runs and not living in London=nightmare lol.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#17
Posted: 1/15/11 at 8:38am
Umbrellas will have a much longer run though, so why not push that to a later trip? Or dayseat for Spelling Bee? Always an option.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#18
Posted: 1/15/11 at 8:57am
SB is showing up as no availability for the night in March I'll be in London. Plus Umbrellas is more of a priority for me as I've never seen the show and I don't want to risk not getting to see it by putting it off (it could flop and close early etc). And I'm afraid day seating is never an option for me as with my arthritis and back problem I can't stand in line for more than five minutes or so and I have to have an aisle seat or seat with guaranteed ample legroom, so I can't just take whatever's on offer last minute. So I'm resigned to missing SB now. Can't complain - there's not much I don't get to see lol.
Updated On: 1/15/11 at 08:57 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#19
Posted: 1/15/11 at 10:55am
"Its the Donmar POL, small venue, great reputation just like Jermyn street, The Kings Head etc!"

I get that, but the Donmar is not your run of the mill venue and is more aimed at your hardcore theatre followers, like us on here, I didn't think there would be many theatre lovers?

Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#20
Posted: 1/15/11 at 11:16am
Okay. Look at how many theatres there are in London. Look at how many seats there are in each theatre. If we assume an average of 50% occupancy for each show on any given night (a VERY ROUGH AND NOT AT ALL ACCURATE assumption, but one that at least runs the gamut from "BURSTING AT THE SEAMS!" to "only the playwright's mum turned up. And she fell asleep"), then we're talking THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people who like theatre enough in its various different forms to spend money going to see it. In just one evening. It's pretty inspiring when you think about it; even though a lot of 'em may not scratch the surface any deeper than Thriller or Dirty Dancing, that's still an ABSURDLY huge number of people going to the theatre, and there's bound to be plenty who would fit your stringent criteria for what constitutes a Theatre Fan. :)

The Donmar Warehouse has a capacity of 250. If a show has, say, an 8 week run, with 8 shows a week, then there are 16,000 seats available for a show. 16,000 across the whole run might sound like a lot but pales into insignificance when you consider the THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS occupying ALL the London theatres on any ONE given night. Especially as only 250 out of the THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS are in the Warehouse itself on that night. And considering that the Donmar Warehouse has a serious reputation for star performers and great productions, I don't see why you're surprised.

No, it's not Mamma Mia!. It's less McDonald's and more the Ivy. But that doesn't mean people aren't queueing up to make their bookings months in advance. :P
Updated On: 1/15/11 at 11:16 AM
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#21
Posted: 1/16/11 at 2:48am
The limited capacity problem at the Donmar is compounded by the fact that the Circle seats are all in some way restricted views. Even in the front row one is peering through the railings when the actors move downstage. People are forced to lean forward thus blocking the view of those behind.

Personally, if I can't get a stalls seat there - which are all good seats - I have to think twice about going. Although I'll make an exception for Spelling Bee. Like Bob, I have been thus far shut out.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#22
Posted: 1/17/11 at 8:04am
Every new show wants to come into town for Spring 2011 with the Royal Wedding - that easter weekend will be ripe box office takings!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg#23
Posted: 1/17/11 at 9:06am
Even in the front row one is peering through the railings when the actors move downstage.

For King Lear you can't even do that, as the set designer had the bright idea of boarding it up with an extension of the set that I'm sure looks lovely from the stalls. Fortunately not much happened downstage in this production so not too bad.

I can't afford to get stalls every time there, but it is tempting to save up - the experience of seeing it in the stalls is completely incomparable to the circle.
Updated On: 1/17/11 at 09:06 AM