Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#1
Posted: 12/17/10 at 5:34am
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.
The Royal Shakespeare Company's new smash hit musical, 'Matilda' will be recorded during the first week of January, the last week of the shows original Startford Upon Avon run.
Release date is March 2011.

The RSC have announced that they intend the show to transfer to a West End house in May/June2011.
Updated On: 12/17/10 at 05:34 AM
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#2
Posted: 12/17/10 at 5:43am
I am confused - you say it will be recorded in the first week of Jan - and then say the last week of the show's run... but the show ends on the 30th Jan.

Great news, though! Thanks.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#2
Posted: 12/17/10 at 5:49am
The original run was due to close early january, it was extended many months ago.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#3
Posted: 12/17/10 at 6:10am
Any more news on the potential transfer? Seems like there are rumours suggesting ten different things
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#4
Posted: 12/18/10 at 7:42pm
I am adamant that this WILL be my May show in London, I was gutted about missing it in Stratford, and haven't even heard any of the soundtrack yet. What theatre would it go to, cause the West End seems to be getting Pretty full now? When's grease leaving?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#5
Posted: 12/18/10 at 7:55pm
April but Ghost already has the Piccadilly. Gielgud is free though, Aldwych could possibly be free sometime next year too.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#6
Posted: 12/18/10 at 8:49pm
Would love Matilda to transfer, same with Me and My Girl but I imagine that some will be annoyed that a playhouse is housing a musical. I think Tom Conti lambasted it as a play he is in that is touring couldn't get a West End transfer.

Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#7
Posted: 12/19/10 at 4:59am
Depending on how well War Horse is doing, I could see this going into the New London Theatre... or the Shaftesbury.

It all depends if they want to keep the design and staging the same. I am yet to see the show (seeing it in Jan) but it seems to me that that's the clincher.

It will run and run, though! I am looking forward to seeing it.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#8
Posted: 12/19/10 at 5:56am
Shaftesbury would be perfect for this production.
It has a short runner going in soon!!!!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#9
Posted: 12/19/10 at 6:10am
I very much doubt War Horse will be leaving the New London any time soon, it's still selling out at most performances from what I've seen and no discounts anywhere. It's a shame the RSC didn't make the New London their permanent home a few years ago, it would have been ideal for them. And they'd be able to transfer Matilda there!

With these good reviews behind it I can't see why Matilda wouldn't do well in the West End - seems to be having a very broad appeal in terms of audience age.
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#10
Posted: 12/19/10 at 2:34pm
I don't think that we should necessarily consider Rebecca a gonner yet, I'm definitely going to see it if the cast is anything special, and what with all the sondheim and shakespeare fans on the west end scene, i think there are still people who respect good acting, dark and subtle themes and a more serious, sophisticated west end musical.

What about the playhouse, Aren't they with the RSC did I read somewhere?
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#11
Posted: 12/20/10 at 3:35am
Whilst I agree with you, somewhat, musicalboy... Shakespeare and Sondheim fans are not what are keeping long runners like We Will Rock You, Dirty Dancing and Mamma Mia alive. Sadly - coach trips support the west end.

Matilda is a show that will run and run and run and run...

Shakesondheim fans admire good theatre (along with people who like more writers then those two.... I hate it when they're just considered the only successful theatrical visionaries) many of them are students and simply can't afford the 67.50 tickets a lot of shows are asking for. Remember that serious, dark, subtle(ish) Spring Awakening musical that played the West End? :) Exactly... neither can anyone else!

ANYWAY.... whilst the New London would be good for Matilda (I haven't seen it yet... I am going in Jan - but looking at the photos), it's obvious it won't go there. I hope they don't put it into the Olivier... as that doesn't scream West End to me... however.... if they're going to keep the original designs for the show, any theatre can have a thrust stage put into it, so - we will see what happens.

Expect this show to come to London; expect it to be a roaring hit and win every award under the sun and expect a new classic British musical (about bloody time, too, if you ask me!)
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#12
Posted: 12/21/10 at 6:46pm
The chances of an RSC production playing in an NT theatre must be slim to say the least.
MichaelUK92 Profile PhotoMichaelUK92 Profile Photo
MichaelUK92
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#13
Posted: 12/23/10 at 2:20pm
does anyone know exact dates on the release?
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#14
Posted: 12/23/10 at 6:40pm
No.
MusicalMo
Stand-by
Stand-by
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#15
Posted: 1/2/11 at 11:24pm
Hello from across the pond! Just curious if one of you who have seen the show and might still have a program handy can tell how many people in the orchestra. And could maybe list the instruments, etc.

Many thanks!
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#16
Posted: 1/3/11 at 5:35am
Eleven musicians, according to the programme:

Flute/Alto Saxophone/Clarinet : Kay Bywater
Tenor Saxophone/Clarinet/Bass Clarinet : Peter Whyman
Guitars : Nick Lee
Cello : Elaine Ackers
Bass Guitar/Double Bass : Tim Harries
Trumpet/Flugelhorn : Andrew Stone-Fewings
Trumpet/Cornet/Flugelhorn : Simon Lenton
Trombone/Bass Trombone : Kevin Pitt
Percussion : Jim Fleeman
Keyboard/Piano : Alan Berry
Keyboard : Bruce O'Neil
MusicalMo
Stand-by
Stand-by
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#17
Posted: 1/3/11 at 11:19pm
Thanks, Marius! And was one of these musicians the 'Conductor/Music Director' as well, or was there a 'stand-up' conductor?
algy Profile Photoalgy Profile Photo
algy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#18
Posted: 1/4/11 at 12:48pm
So thrilled that this is getting a recording - and is earmarked for a transfer. Saw it the week before opening with other half (who prefers plays) and he loved it so much he said he'd go again if he could.

HOWEVER the success of the transfer will be dependant on the strength of the child actors they cast. The set that I saw were brilliant - not one a "look at me mummy I'm on stage" type, and all sang beautifully.

All 10 child parts need to be filled with good kids - Lavender and Bruce need to be great and Matilda needs to be amazing.

I hope Bertie Cavell stays with the show - he was amazing, as was Matthew Malthouse (who I have a total soft spot for after seeing him as Edwards Scissorhands at Sadlers Wells a couple of Christmases ago).

Oh and Paul Kaye needs to stay too -his improv section at the start of act two was hilarious.

I hope they keep the thrust design -it looks amazing and works so well.

And it was a proper family show - like panto used to be before it became dominated by pop songs, soap stars and smut. The adults loved it, the children loved it, the theatre had thought about how to make the experience work - sweets in cups not plastic bags. And the general atmosphere made me remember my earliest trips to the theatre when I was 6 or 7 - it was full of little girls in satin party dresses with sashes (and their party shoes).

So excited... I'll have to go again if it transfers!
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#19
Posted: 1/17/11 at 7:37am
Just to update/correct the original post: Matilda hasn't been recorded and won't be during the Stratford run. They're hoping to do a recording later in the year if and when it transfers to London.
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#20
Posted: 1/18/11 at 3:04am
I seem to remember the website saying (and I might've been wishfully dreaming here) that a recording would be released in March. So, it seems they will work on the recording once the show has stopped.

I wonder if it'll be a double disc album... some of the material on stage is quite long.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#21
Posted: 1/18/11 at 3:12pm
Not really news, but from Tim Minchin's Twitter feed:

"#RSCMatilda will probably have a future life. How, where and when are uncertain, but I'll let you know as soon as I know."

So fingers crossed for a transfer and/or recording... Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#22
Posted: 1/25/11 at 12:29pm
Dusthouse who do all of the RSC's trailers have just tweeted;

Matilda is coming to London!!!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matilda -The Musical. Cast Recording.#23