Page: 1

Summer Strallen and Tom Chambers to put on 'Top Hat' around the UK next year

Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Summer's stepping out in stage version of Top Hat
Summer Strallen is ready to breathe an atmosphere that simply reeks with class by puttin’ on her Top Hat.
The actress and Tom Chambers will star in a stage version of the great Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie Top Hat, with music to dance cheek-to-cheek to by Irving Berlin.

Ted Chapin, president of Irving Berlin Music based here in New York, told me that he, along with two of Berlin’s daughters and a granddaughter, attended a ­reading in London where Summer and Tom read the parts Rogers and Astaire played in the 1935 movie — which, handily, was set in London.
‘There was a good feeling in the room,’ Chapin recalled, and what struck them all was that the story of mistaken identity (an old Rogers and Astaire standby) still held up well.

The movie had five songs: Isn’t This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain), Cheek To Cheek, No Strings, Piccolino and the title song Top Hat (White Tie And Tails).

The new theatre show’s director Matthew White, choreographer Bill Deamer and producer Kenny Wax cherry-picked through the Berlin catalogue and also want to include Let’s Face The Music And Dance and I’m Putting All My Eggs In One Basket.

‘Berlin wrote a thousand songs. Within this stage Top Hat there’s a show within a show, so there’s an opportunity to use some perhaps lesser-known Berlin songs as well,’ Chapin told me.
He added that he saw Summer in that strange musical The Drowsy Chaperone and he admired her song and dance skills, plus what he called her ‘exquisite’ comic timing.

Chambers is currently in Sunderland in a sell-out production of White Christmas. He was moving on to a musical ­version of the film Big, but that has shrunk out of sight.
The actor wowed audiences on Strictly Come Dancing, and his Astaire routine on You Tube shows he knows how to move.
Top Hat will rehearse in July and open in Milton Keynes in August and then
tour to Birmingham, Salford, Southampton, Plymouth, Norwich, Canterbury, Marlowe and Leeds and come waltzing into London around this time next year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1335202/Kate-Winslet-to-London-estranged-husband-Sam-Mendes-shoots-new-Bond-movie.html#ixzz172Bq3lul
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Awesome! This is my favourite Astaire film, my parents showed it to me a few years ago, and I love the title song, as well as the classic painful old movie plotline and humour the whole way through, I saw chambers on Strictly and his ballroom stuff was really good, and as long as he's got Summer Strallen with him, the singing should be well represented as well! Definitely something I'll go to see at the Mayflower.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This sounds interesting. Really looking forward to seeing it. And great to see Summer Strallen's moving upwards from ALW to Berlin lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 12/3/10 at 04:33 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bob, I was thinking she probably cant wait to get off the Strand!
Bless her! lol
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, mama, she may well re-phrase one of the lyrics and sing "Isn't This A Lovely day To Get Out Of The Pain" lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***