Page: 1

The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#1
Posted: 11/27/10 at 12:23am
The Society Of West End Theatres has confirmed that the 2011 Lawrence Olivier Awards will be staged at the home it has had on a number of occasions, the Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
Let speculation begin as to weather they will produced and presented for a major TV slot.
Its what most people want, a presentation similar to Broadways Tony Awards.
Updated On: 11/27/10 at 12:23 AM
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#2
Posted: 11/27/10 at 8:23am
Some decent TV exposure for the event is long overdue
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#2
Posted: 11/27/10 at 8:50am
Amen!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#3
Posted: 11/27/10 at 10:41am
Am I the only person who does not long for TV exposure???
I cant imagine anything worse than this accurate and meaningful award ceremony getting turned into the annual publicity sham that is the Tony Awards.
Do a live online stream again so us who really want to watch the ceremony can, but I dont think this belongs on TV
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#4
Posted: 11/27/10 at 12:34pm
Interesting thoughts Con.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#5
Posted: 11/27/10 at 1:26pm
Are tickets available to the public?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#6
Posted: 11/27/10 at 2:50pm
Awards ceromonies are a sham if they are on TV or not.
The reason why it would be good to have it back on TV is that shows that are not based on a.... can have a slot to a TV audience opening the show up to audiences who may have ignored it otherwise.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
juggles
Stand-by
Stand-by
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#7
Posted: 11/27/10 at 3:05pm
I do hope it's on TV, how do people get the pleasure of the ceremony otherwise......unless they pay about £200 to attend the ceremony
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#8
Posted: 11/27/10 at 4:54pm
Admittedly the Tony Awards can be something of a cattle market as can all award shows but the exposure that the TV broadcast gives to theatre is priceless. West End theatre will certainly benefit from a TV broadcast so hopefully the fact that it's moving back to a theatre venue does mean that a TV deal is being negotiated.

As for Olivier Awards compared to the Tony Awards, I don't think they are in any way more "accurate and meaningful". There was nothing "accurate and meaningful" in handing out awards to the overtly commercial Hairspray and Michael Ball over the far more genuinely artistic Parade and the amazing Bertie Carvill.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#9
Posted: 11/28/10 at 6:29am
The 35th edition of the awards will be staged at Drury Lane on March 13, 2011. It will mark the third time the event has been held at the theatre, but the first time in more than 20 years.

SOLT president Nica Burns commented: “We are thrilled that the Oliviers are back in such a beautiful and historic theatre, which is symbolic of the central part that theatre has played in the life of the capital since Shakespeare’s day. When all seems doom and gloom, London’s theatre goes from strength to strength. I am delighted that the BBC is giving the awards the major coverage they truly deserve. British theatre is the envy of the world and we expect the 2011 awards to be a triumph.”

The awards began in 1976 as The Society of West End Theatre Awards, becoming the Laurence Olivier Awards in 1984. Over the past 34 years, the ceremony has taken place in numerous locations, including many London theatres such as the National’s Olivier Theatre, the Lyceum Theatre, the Victoria Palace and the London Palladium. More recently, it has been held in hotels such as the Grosevnor House and The Park Lane Hilton.

Meanwhile, SOLT has also announced that the event, which used to be televised after the event on BBC2, will next year receive “extensive coverage on BBC News on TV, radio and online.”
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#10
Posted: 11/28/10 at 9:16am
Even if it's only edited coverage I'll be pleased to see it.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#11
Posted: 11/29/10 at 1:22pm
Shamefully I love watching the Tony's. And to be fair, you hardly get the MTV crowd watching the Tony awards. As far as I'm aware, they're still viewed by a very selective audience.
Ok, this year may have been an exception, what with Glee plaguing the ceremony, still, an enjoyable ceremony for me. Have always longed to see the Olivier awards presented in a similar manner.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#12
Posted: 11/29/10 at 2:08pm
Only a niche market would watch theatre awards on television.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#13
Posted: 11/29/10 at 4:16pm
I would have thought there's a space on BBC4 at least, to support the Oliviers
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oliviers Return To The Big Stage#14
Posted: 12/1/10 at 5:42pm
This will just be the same TV problem that goes on with the Tonys every year. However, the only difference will be that it wil be in London rather than on Broadway.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll