Page: 1

SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#1
Posted: 11/13/10 at 7:08am

A new Trust is being created under the title of “SAVE Britain’s Theatres!!!” (SBT).

The founding Trustees are members of the former “Curtains!!! Or A New Life For Old Theatres Committee” which originally researched and published its ground-breaking gazetteer of theatres built in Great Britain before 1914.

John Earl – former Director of The Theatres Trust, Iain Mackintosh – former Director of Theatre Projects Consultants, Michael Sell – International Training Consultant and David Wilmore of Theatresearch Historic Theatre Consultants are extremely concerned about the recent loss of the Nelson Palace & Hippodrome (1909) and the impending demolition of the Wallsend Borough Theatre (1909).
Both these theatres have recently been refused listed status protection by English Heritage – a decision with which “SBT” (applying EH’s own past standards) strongly rejects. Incredibly in times of budget cuts and austerity the demolition of these historic theatres has been funded with money from the public purse. It is believed that well in excess of half a million pounds has actually been allocated for this purpose – and both these theatres could have easily been saved and cherished for long term use by local communities.

SAVE Britain’s Theatres!!! believes that this money could have been utilised to make these buildings accessible to the public. Whilst an immediate return to theatre use might not have been practicable, they could have been used to create a sense of community within these small towns. Buildings such as this could and should be made available to form a local focus for central government’s “Big Society”.
SAVE Britain’s Theatres!!! has been formed to create a national lobbying network to protect the theatres of Great Britain for generations to come.
If you would like to register your interest, become involved and receive future e-mail newsletters then contact us at:

savebritainstheatres@theatresearch.co.uk
Updated On: 11/13/10 at 07:08 AM
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#2
Posted: 11/15/10 at 8:28am
I went through Nelson on the bus last week, having been away for 4 months, and could not believe the massive space where the hippodrome should have been!

I will email now, thank you.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#2
Posted: 11/15/10 at 8:37am
Gut wrenching isnt it!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#3
Posted: 11/15/10 at 8:48am
You want heartbreaking

Check out this site,on this thread its about old cinemas and many theatres. The ones closed down and left to rot. Some folks manage to get inside the abandoned theatres and take some incredible but heartbreaking pics, i was on there for hrs

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#4
Posted: 11/15/10 at 8:52am
Some of those pics are mine! Its a real thrill getting into these places by pulling back hoardings and gates etc BUT once your in it all changes when you see the horrific state that these buildings are in most of the time.
...and yes ive even been cautioned by the police on two occasions!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#5
Posted: 11/15/10 at 9:01am
OMG i need to come with you on a visit to one
Its something i sooo want to do but i would have no clue lol
Its so heartbreaking to see them, and geez, how many theatres and cinemas became ugly bingo halls lol
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#6
Posted: 11/15/10 at 9:06am
There is a theatre in Swansea that has been boarded up since the late 60's and I had only ever seen its facade rotting away, a gorgeous Edwardian building that is impossible to miss.
The day we 'got in' it was via the main entrance. The doorway was boarded up with advertising panels that had become loose, we made them looser over a few days.
Once inside a lot of the foyer areas were visible due to the direct light coming in through the collapsed ceiling!!!! As we got to auditorium we were started walking in almost complete darkness, just the light from mobile phones. Now this theatre is build on a steep slop falling away behind it. We had no idea that when we walked into the back of the auditorium we were actually walking into the upper circle area. We were literally just a few inches away from walking straight over the top- a truly scary moment I tell you, what with pigeons flying around you.
These buildings may be secured outside but they are pure deathtraps inside.
Once we got our bearings we actually found a light switch that threw light on a small part of the building. It brought me to tears to this amazing barrel auditorium just rotting away covered in pigeon muck etc.
We returned at a later date with a camera and extra lighting.
I know I am not the only one to have done this as is evident by the 1000s of pictures that are available. Most people do it just get the pictures so, incase the worse happens and the building gets torn down, these buildings can be remembered.
If you do it, just be careful!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#7
Posted: 11/15/10 at 9:07am

Updated On: 11/15/10 at 09:07 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#8
Posted: 11/15/10 at 9:12am
Ohh that sounds scary, i would be the person to fall over the edge lol
I really wanna see inside the Tameside Hippodrome and see how its fairing after 2 years of closure
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#9
Posted: 11/15/10 at 9:15am
I'll come with you no prob love.
You need to survey the area first! (we sound like terrorists lol)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#10
Posted: 11/15/10 at 9:23am

Thameside Hipodrome .....a doddle! No prob and I bet someone has already been in.

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SAVE BRITAINS THEATRES!!!!#11
Posted: 11/15/10 at 9:50am
ive walked around it a few times and everything is borded up tight grrrr, but i will find a way. It was down to me and a few other that got the building listed grade 2 a few days before demoloition was due to happen, now i wanna see if its been looked after (i doubt it) and what the builders did before we halted the planned demolition.