Page: 1

Manchester Palace Saved As Major Tour Venue

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
....for now

Plans to establish a northern base for the Royal Opera House in Manchester have been put “on hold”.

In a statement, the Royal Opera House said the coalition government had endorsed its proposals for a northern home and it would be pursued at the “appropriate time in the future”.
Royal Opera House and Manchester City Council remain committed to establishing a production base for the Royal Opera House in Manchester, although plans have been put on hold during this time of economic uncertainty. It is not a direct result of the cuts'.
A council spokesperson added: 'When the economic climate becomes clearer, we will be in a position to discuss timescales'.
The creation of Royal Opera House Manchester would see the city’s Palace Theatre become a producing house for the company and a venue for opera and music from across the world. As well as host Royal Opera & Ballet productions, the theatre would produce work by Opera North.

Following discussions with the Lowry, it was agreed that the Salford venue would continue to present lyric theatre and dance, including Royal Ballet performances.
Last year, an independent report suggested it would cost £100 million to transform the Palace Theatre into an Royal Opera House producing house and that the London-based institution would require £16 million annually for running costs for the new site.
Royal Opera House will receive almost £2 million less in subsidy from Arts Council England for 2011/12 than it did this year, in line with all ACE’s regularly funded organisations.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wonder if the plans with come into fruitation, I imagine with ACE cutting its budget, it's unlikely. It didn't make sense financially depriving Manchester of a musical theatre venue for opera plus the audience isn't really there.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good times, they need to keep their hands off the Palace
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is great news! For now, but I seriously that this will ever happen.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Great news!